INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mp3 encoder plug - different question  (Read 2518 times)

radarmary

mp3 encoder plug - different question
« on: July 31, 2002, 08:41:00 am »

i go to options >encoder type and Quality> Selcted Encoder > external> and point to the plugin called lame.exe
then it gives me options the path,parameters etc.

am i supposed to manualy change the parameters in that field?

right now it reads %In %OUt -b 128

i am assuming the 128 refers to the encoding rate and i should change the number to the desired rate?  The reason i was asking was in the older version, one just could point and click in a windows interface and select the rate.

thanks

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:mp3 encoder plug - different question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2002, 09:14:51 am »

Go to the plug-ins page here and download the MP3 encoder plug-in.  It is LAME.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

radarmary

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2002, 09:19:58 am »

yup.  That's where i downloaded the plug in (i did what you suggested - right click down load the link (enc_mp3.mjp)and open with a text editor and cut and paste the url inside.  It gives me the (enc_mp3.zip file) and once unzipped the lame.exe file.

When i point to that in the plug in option, and rip a track the MSDOS windows opens etc....

RemyJ

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2002, 09:46:06 am »

The DOS window only opens if you are using "External Encoder".  You can certainly run LAME that way if you like, but you can just select "MP3 Encoder" or "MP3 Encoder VBR" then use the Quality dropdown to select the desired bitrate.  You'll still be using the LAME encoder but you won't have to fuss with the LAME command line options.  The other advantage of doing it this way is you can now choose to rip and encode a track simultaneously, or to rip a track THEN encode it.  If you use "External Encoder", you're forced to rip THEN encode.

Actually, I do use LAME as an external encoder because I like seeing the DOS window with the LAME stats in it.  The command line I use is...

--cbr -ms -q2 -b256 --lowpass 19.5 %IN %OUT

Which sets
Constant Bit Rate
Stereo mode (as opposed to Joint-Stereo)
Level 2 quality
256k bit rate
Lowpass filter that starts at 19.5khz

You'll have to decide what bitrate and quality settings are right for your situation.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Radar Mary

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2002, 10:45:42 am »

Do the options, for MP3 VBR appear in your version of MJ 8.0.336?  I get only windows media, ogg vorbis, external encoder and uncompressed wave.  i choose external encoder and choose the lame.exe file which opens the MSDOS window.  AS i recall those otehr options were built into version 7.x

RemyJ

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2002, 11:02:59 am »

>>Do the options, for MP3 VBR appear in your version of MJ 8.0.336?

Yep.  I believe they show up in the list even if you don't actually have the encoders installed.  The first time you try to use them, they download.   Sounds like you don't have a clean install.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Radar Mary

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2002, 11:22:35 am »

I just uninstalled version 8.0.334 and installed .336 using the control panel option of removing the program.  Suggestions to do a clean insatall of version 8.0.366 so that all the options appear would be appreciated.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2002, 11:32:26 am »

>> I just uninstalled version 8.0.334 and installed .336
>> using the control panel option of removing the program.
You Could Have Just Installed MJ 8.0.336 Over MJ 8.0.334

>> Suggestions to do a clean insatall of version 8.0.366
This Version Is Not Released Yet

But If You Do A Clean Uninstall Make Sure You Select To Include Registry Entries. When Doing This If You Are A Registered User I think This Will Use One Of Your "Register" Allotments (6 Per year) when you re-register.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

radar mary

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2002, 12:04:04 pm »

yeah i mean .336.

should i uninstall from mediajukebox's options (from the programs menu) or from the control panel?  I've uninstalled sevral times and installed (though I am not sure if i deleted the registries - how doe s one do that?

I've also attached my system information:
Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.336
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 933 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 259 MB, Free - 23 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995
Aspi32.sys: N/A

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2002, 12:10:15 pm »

>> should i uninstall from mediajukebox's options
>> (from the programs menu) or from the control panel?
It Does Not Matter, It Invokes The Same Un-Install Program

>> I've uninstalled sevral times and installed
>> (though I am not sure if i deleted the registries
>> how does one do that?
Read the Prompts\screens prior To Pushing A Button It Will Ask You What You Want To Do.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Radar Mary

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2002, 12:32:29 pm »

OK - i uninstalled version .336.  went into the J. RIver folder and deleted any remaining files.

I did a search for anything with "media jukebox" and deleted things from the TEMP files.

it shoould be gone now right?  Am I ready for a clean install if i double click the installer? (i've rebooted after shutting down completely).  I have noticed that there is still JRiver and MEDia Jukebox information when using RegEdit to look at the registries.  I am not comfortable or have enough know how to tinker using regedit (i assume the information contains info about the originalinstallation and my credit card and other info. Is any of the stuff in the reg edit file giving me my problems (i.e. not getting to mp3 and VBR options when i install jukebox?)

I am not a novice to computers and not an expert either - but its seems like this version is not very userfriendly, if after several uninstalls and re-installs it has glitches.

Again, all the help you guys have been giving is indeed helpful.

thanks

Valisystem

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2002, 10:05:44 pm »

Radar Mary -

You were having the same problem I was downloading the encoder. My guess is you manually downloaded the files and you're pointing to them as an "external" encoder. That looks different than if you installed them with the built-in downloader. Right?

I spent time today working with a dedicated MJ team member trying to figure out why I had a download issue. In the end, the problem melted away - it clearly was related to settings on the proxy server on my end, but when it resolved, it was impossible to be sure what had caused the problem in the first place. (I changed settings on the proxy server and the problem ended, but then I couldn't duplicate it by going back to the prior settings. Frustrating!) In any case, I'm now downloading encoders and skins with no problem.

If your Internet connection is through a proxy server (in your browser under Internet options / Connection / LAN settings), the problem may have nothing to do with your computer; the solution might be a setting on the proxy server.

In the meantime, maybe I'm paraphrasing your question to the MJ folks: if an encoder .zip file is manually downloaded, is there a manual way to install it into MJ so it appears as naturally as if it had been downloaded within the program?

Good luck! And don't give up on MJ - it's too good to let this get in the way.

Valisystem

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2002, 10:14:45 pm »

Incidentally, I believe (but I'm not positive) that the same proxy server issue was causing fits for CDDB, which you mentioned was also giving you trouble - so all these things might be related.

If your Internet connection is talking to a proxy server, find out if the proxy server happens to be Microsoft Proxy Server or Microsoft ISA Server. I don't know much about this stuff, but that's what I'm running and I can point you in the direction of some technical notes that might help.

Radar Mary

RE:mp3 encoder plug - different question - UPDATE
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2002, 08:00:47 am »

Seems like i've found out what the problem was.  When i finally downloaded the mp3 encoder, there were two files in the zipped file. one called lame.exe and the the .dll file that was hidden.  Once i made the file a non read-only or archive file and put it in the plug in fodler and pointed to it from the add plug ins option - i have both the mp3 and mp3 vbr options.

Derek

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2002, 08:40:48 am »

Why is Lame VBR launched from MediaJukeBox so much slower (3x slower) than Lame launched using a Dos box?  

I have MediaJukeBox 8.0.336
Lame v3.92
Lame settings in MediaJukeBox Lame VBR high
Lame setting in Dos lame -V1 in.wav out.mp3

Derek

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2002, 10:02:45 am »

My apologies.  I had recored a time using the Lame -h option = high quality but not the highest.  This option saves a considerable amount of time, with little difference in quality (equivalent to -q2).  Time in Dos and MediaJukeBox are the same.

jolo

RE:MP3 - Lame settings
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2002, 10:59:27 am »

I personally like to use Lame Gui, therefore taking the file outside of Media Jukebox.

I do it outside because of Jukebox because if something is not write, I see it outside of Jukebox and know that it has nothing to do with being effected by another product (jukebox). Program is very small, etc.

I've always been one who when doing encoding or heavy reformating of files or database updates, like to them them seperately where I can isolate failures better, uses less RAM, and does not effect other process.

This is noting negative aboout Media Jukebox at all, just more of a keep it simple kind of thing when there is "serious" types of file and data manipulation going on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up