INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Build Cache" crashes MC  (Read 736 times)

DCKJR

• Recent member
"Build Cache" crashes MC
« on: June 12, 2008, 12:25:46 pm »

MC crashes for me when I am building a cache for my handheld.  It occurs anywhere from 3000 to 4300 conversions into a 5000 song database.  As you can imagine, this takes a number of hours to occur.  When I return to check on MC, I find it either locked up or I see a Windows box saying the program had to close.  When it is locked up, if I cancel the cache build or try to do any other function within MC, the program crashes.

In addition, the "Stack Location" setting does not seem to work.  I have tried setting it both with "With Original" and specified a custom location and it will not put the converted files in either location.  They always appear in a temp folder under My Music on the drive where MC resides.

If I skip the "Build Cache" step and just try to sync (ie do flac to mp3 conversion on the fly), it will still put the flac files that have been converted to mp3 in the wrong location (/My Music/temp location) but it will get through the sync and conversion process without crashing.  However, I find that several of the converted files that now reside on the iPod are mis-labeled (wrong music associated to the song title)  In one occurrence, all 5013 files on the iPod were the exact same song but with 5013 unique song titles, album covers, and artists.

I'm running MC on a WinXP SP2 box.  The crashing occurs on 12.0.494.  I also tried .497 and .512.  I let it run long enough on those two versions to see that it was not putting the converted files into the location I specified.  I stopped building the cache at that point.  I am currently running a sync and conversion on the fly on .512.  I'll find out in 11 hours whether it too mis-labels the songs.
My iPod is a 80Gb video classic running SW version 1.3.  I have also "Restored" the iPod to make sure it was clean.
The flac files reside on a NAS.  When I specify a custom directory for the cache, it is also on the NAS.  The NAS runs on a linux OS.
MC otherwise runs fine pulling the music, image, and video files off of the NAS

Dudley
Pages: [1]   Go Up