INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sync mp3/flac + cue to ipod - what happens?  (Read 4063 times)

neovibe

• Junior Woodchuck
sync mp3/flac + cue to ipod - what happens?
« on: June 17, 2008, 02:12:59 pm »

I would try doing it myself but I’m still only thinking about getting an ipod touch so I'd like to know what happens before I do.

So, can someone please tell me what happens to single file albums with cue files, when you sync an ipod with a collection/smartlist that contains this sort of album??
Does it work? Does it split the files? When they're already in mp3 are they recompressed? (MC12 doesn’t ‘cut’ mp3 losslessly as far as I know).

Thanks!

PS: I read something about xml code in m4a files that would replace a cue... hmmm

SwellGuy

Re: sync mp3/flac + cue to ipod - what happens?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 03:53:40 pm »

We split cue files when and only when we convert them - we don't have a pure splitting mechanism. But they should convert into individual mp3's and transfer to the touch fine.

neovibe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 10:44:07 am »

- so that means there is no way I can transfer mp3+cue albums to an ipod without loosing quality, right?
(unless I convert to alac via dbpoweramp comand line but that would be very ineficcient in terms of capacity)

- is the developement of a 'lossless mp3+cue split' feature anywhere in your plans? Or is it out of question?

- can you please confirm that MC12 considers an mp3+cue album as an "unsupported format" for ipods while simple mp3's are considered a "supported format" (in terms of the handheld conversion options)

by the way... have you considered using the xml features on apple formats to embed cues? that would avoid some converting...
see http://www.gingerbeardman.com/cue2xml/ then there's AudioBinder to import those xml. perhaps you already know this...

thank you for your time :)

SwellGuy

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 02:46:14 pm »

- so that means there is no way I can transfer mp3+cue albums to an ipod without loosing quality, right?
(unless I convert to alac via dbpoweramp comand line but that would be very ineficcient in terms of capacity)
Correct. I wouldn't be too concerned about the quality hot for the purposes of transfer to your iPod. If so, you should consider flac+cue or ape+cue for your source files.

- is the developement of a 'lossless mp3+cue split' feature anywhere in your plans? Or is it out of question?
We don't have any immediate plans to implement pure cue splitting functionality but it's certainly not out of the question.

- can you please confirm that MC12 considers an mp3+cue album as an "unsupported format" for ipods while simple mp3's are considered a "supported format" (in terms of the handheld conversion options)
You should always convert CUE files for use by a device unless your device supports them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up