INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RF remote control  (Read 7223 times)

fros

RF remote control
« on: June 22, 2008, 05:48:29 pm »

I have read many postings and not many related to remote controls working with MC 12.  (But I probably over read it).  Can you give me a good rf remote recommendation?

Firefly sounds like a winner from what I have read so far.  does anyone know if it is being discontinued or is it only sold by snapstream?

I am  liking Media Center, but the remote would be super helpful.

thanks.

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: RF remote control
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 06:13:12 am »

Hmmm...never thought to get an RF remote just for the PC.  That's a cool idea.

I use a universal remote which has IR and RF from http://www.universalremote.com (but the RF links back to an IR base/blaster located with my equipment).  That way I can control the stereo, TV etc. with the one remote.  I use an IRMAN to take IR commands into the media centre (via Girder).  Works a treat.  But what you were after.

Good luck and pls. post back what you find so we can all benefit.

damian_pentney

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 09:30:30 am »

My vote is the FireFly (and yes its still for sale.....google snapstream)....my recomendation, just buy the remote, leave the snaptstreem software out. Whilst you can configure it to work directly with MC (or via snapstreams software if you really want buy that too) these methods are cumbersome.

My recomendation is use the FireFly with Girder 5 (see proximis.com) and Glynor's GML (read http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46823.0). It sounds complex, but it's not. With FireFly and Girder 5, you'll have JRMS working pretty much 'out of the box'. The FireFly's RF range is awesome too.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 04:07:39 pm »

Love my FireFlies (I bought 3 I liked them so much)... Amazon.com sells them for a bit cheaper than Snapstream direct.  They're a Snapstream product, so it's from them...

I like the original Firefly better than the Mini, but you could consider that one to save some money.  Strongly recommend using it with Girder.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fros

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 10:01:17 pm »

I appreciate the responses.  Snapstreams website has a lack of informationon it, the drivers haven't been updated for some time, which is not understandable unless something going on, possible discontinuing, upgrading etc.   I did chech with Amazon and they have it listed but unavailable and they are not sure when/if it will be available again.  Snapstream might be bringing it all in house.  I contacted them via email, of the many calls, they were all voice recordings to contact them via email or leave a message and they would get back to you.  I also found a pretty good review of the Firefly remote.
http://www.remotecentral.com/firefly/index.html

I went ahead and took a chance to order and should be getting it before the weeks out.  I will probably be looking at Girder being it is highly recommended.  One question, the Firefly is said to support Media Center, any idea if it will out of the box, before investing in Girder?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 11:11:20 am »

I appreciate the responses.  Snapstreams website has a lack of informationon it, the drivers haven't been updated for some time, which is not understandable unless something going on, possible discontinuing, upgrading etc.

The drivers work.  No need to fix something that isn't broken.  Remote control drivers aren't super-advanced like GPU drivers or chipset drivers.  I should note, though... I do not have any Vista machines and have never tested or read anything about Vista compatibility.  I'd check on the Snapstream forums for more info.

I have, in the past, noticed the Firefly going in and out of stock at various places, including Amazon.  I don't think it has been discontinued, but who knows (actually, the Snapstream forum people would).  They update the remote every so often (same internals, slightly different casing and whatnot), probably with each manufacturing run.

I went ahead and took a chance to order and should be getting it before the weeks out.  I will probably be looking at Girder being it is highly recommended.  One question, the Firefly is said to support Media Center, any idea if it will out of the box, before investing in Girder?

It will support the "standard" controls: FF, RW, Play, Pause, Stop, Vol Up, Vol Down

But that's about it.  If you want to be able to really control MC, and switch between display modes and navigate around the UI, you'll need something more advanced.  BTW, I don't use or even launch (though it is installed) the "Firefly" software.  You use either the Firefly software (which is focused on using BeyondMedia and BeyondTV) or Girder.  Not both.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 01:49:26 pm »

I can't find one of these for sale in the UK

International UPS shipping @ a further $50 makes for one expensive remote!!

Any recommenadations for those of us in the UK?

-marko.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 01:57:47 pm »

That would be an expensive remote!!

I'd try asking here: http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

fros

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 09:48:36 pm »

The drivers work.  No need to fix something that isn't broken.  Remote control drivers aren't super-advanced like GPU drivers or chipset drivers.  I should note, though... I do not have any Vista machines and have never tested or read anything about Vista compatibility.  I'd check on the Snapstream forums for more info.

I guess I was thinking they could update the profiles for a wider range of apps.  I'll check out the Vista capability on the board and once it comes in being that is what I hope to run it on. 

I have, in the past, noticed the Firefly going in and out of stock at various places, including Amazon.  I don't think it has been discontinued, but who knows (actually, the Snapstream forum people would).  They update the remote every so often (same internals, slightly different casing and whatnot), probably with each manufacturing run.

It will support the "standard" controls: FF, RW, Play, Pause, Stop, Vol Up, Vol Down

But that's about it.  If you want to be able to really control MC, and switch between display modes and navigate around the UI, you'll need something more advanced.  BTW, I don't use or even launch (though it is installed) the "Firefly" software.  You use either the Firefly software (which is focused on using BeyondMedia and BeyondTV) or Girder.  Not both. 

That is more information then i could get off Snapstream's site.  I was going to ask if you have to install their program and if you used it at all.  Now I know (knowing is half the battle).

And I can download the trial version of Girder, so that will let me get a good feel for what it can do.

thanks again.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 09:48:54 am »

My 2 cents is logitech harmony.  It's a universal remote and then I bought a media centre (microsoft) ir receiver for $10.  When you set up the remote via the web it asks what equipment you have...I put in media pc and it preloaded the windows media centre buttons which works great with j river.  I have no issues its fantastic.  The remote can be a bit pricey but if you have multiple devices there is no better remote on the market.

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 04:24:35 pm »

And I can download the trial version of Girder, so that will let me get a good feel for what it can do.

I'm very pleased with my Firefly, and agree with everything recommended here. I also think this is a very good idea. I considered Girder, but (without investigation) thought it seemed too complicated (and perhaps expensive) for what I wanted to do. As an alternative, I found LM Remote KeyMap here: http://www.lmgestion.net/@en-us/4/22/60/78/article.asp. It's a simple (and cheap) program for mapping remotes buttons based on user-created profiles. Considering the hours I've spent tinkering with those profiles, I might have been even happier with a more full-featured Girder, but LM Remote KeyMap gets the job done.

BTW, with either program, you probably don't need to spend hours tinkering with profiles—that's just me. ;)

JONCAT

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 04:36:55 pm »

Think the Gyration is RF IIRC.

DC

fros

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 12:35:58 pm »

Love my FireFlies (I bought 3 I liked them so much)... Amazon.com sells them for a bit cheaper than Snapstream direct.  They're a Snapstream product, so it's from them...

I like the original Firefly better than the Mini, but you could consider that one to save some money.  Strongly recommend using it with Girder.

So I have to install the Firefly software, does it load the profiles for Media Center or is there modifications needed.  Doc's don't really specify. 

If I download Girder standard (which this forum is the first I have heard of, other then Snapstream's website), what would you suggest I would need to do to get it up and running?  I have read it can run out of the package.

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 02:10:10 pm »

The Gyration RF remote is the way to go. I have the Remote, Keyboard and mouse. They work great all over the house and from the yard as well. I like the combo because I can go from zone to zone with the wireless components and do whatever I want. The remote is also a wireless mouse which is very cool.

They seem to be coming out with a new RF remote that includes a display as well. It says that it works seamlessly with MS Mediacenter. I'm wondering if it will or can be made to work with MC12?

rick.ca

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 03:04:57 pm »

So I have to install the Firefly software...

I don't recall if I had to install the Firefly software. Obviously, a driver had to be installed. So I installed it, but I don't use it. I don't think it will help you with MC—that's what you need Girder (or something like it) for.

I have read it can run out of the package...

I don't know Girder, but it probably has a default profile which does 90% of what is required for MC. Theatre view does what it does with just the arrow keys, enter, escape and some player buttons—which should be in any default profile. So in that sense, it should "work out of the box." Once you're comfortable with that, you can decide how far you want to go in configuring Girder so it will control other aspects of the program. My advice is to keep it simple. I found it very easy to program so many keys I could no longer remember which one did what. Now I will only program a key to do what I intuitively expect it to do (for a particular program) I put other commands in menus—so I don't have to remember which key to press.

gappie

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 03:48:03 pm »

I can't find one of these for sale in the UK

International UPS shipping @ a further $50 makes for one expensive remote!!

Any recommenadations for those of us in the UK?

-marko.
i use a streamzap for a while now. works great with girder/mc. maybe it is an option for you.

:)
gab

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 04:10:13 pm »

So I have to install the Firefly software, does it load the profiles for Media Center or is there modifications needed.  Doc's don't really specify. 

You do NOT need to install the Firefly software.  The alternative is to download the "regular" drivers from Snapstream and install those instead, IF you're going to use Girder or something else to program the remote.

However, even for using Girder, I found that installing the Firefly software (and then disabling it by closing it and removing it from my Startup folder) was better.  It seemed to work better and it made doing "utility" things (like changing the default channel on the remote) easier.

So, the way I did it was to install the Firefly software just as suggested in the manual/website.  Then, once it was up and working, I closed out of the Firefly software completely (it'll warn you that the remote will stop working, which is true), and then I kill the program out of "auto-startup".  I think it was just in the Start menu Start folder, but it might have been in the Registry.

Then, set it up using Girder.  People tell me that they're now actually including my GML file for MC with Girder, so it might be in there already when you download it (just open it out of your GML file folder).  If not, you can grab it over on the 3rd Party forum here.  Once you've opened the GML file, you simply have to assign my "actions" to an "event" from your remote (by choosing which buttons trigger which event).  I've programmed it, but your remote might be different (or you might want it to work differently).

However, if you ARE NOT going to use Girder (or something similar) then you need to have the Firefly software running or the remote won't function.  Basically, the software does two things:

1) Installs a driver, which tells the computer how to receive the signals from the remote.  This function cannot be replaced by Girder (though the remote is just a fancy X10 remote, and any old X10 driver will work).

2) Installs the Firefly "interpreter" software, which takes the signals it receives from the remote and actually turns these into actions and events on the computer.  Without this, the remote won't actually "do" anything.  This is the function that can be replaced by Girder.  If you choose not to, the Firefly software can actually be reprogrammed itself to do more advanced things, but it is not very user friendly.  Check the Snapstream forums for more info.  If you choose to use Girder, then you can't have the Firefly software running (installed/not is up to you) or the two "interpreters" will fight over it.

damian_pentney

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 04:10:31 pm »

I thought the FireFly was well worth the $50 international shipping. $50 well spent IMHO
Pages: [1]   Go Up