INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panes Thin + Thumnails + List view = Media Euphoria?  (Read 2013 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Panes Thin + Thumnails + List view = Media Euphoria?
« on: June 23, 2008, 01:29:06 am »

In the new Performer MC, this view basically exists when you click on discography for an artist.  Why not just make that a standard view in MC?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Panes Thin + Thumnails + List view = Media Euphoria?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 11:05:17 am »

The trick is how to merge a view like that into the existing framework.

One solution is to show thin panes on the top of any tile view. (i.e. Genre, Artist, Album views in default view scheme)

However, it gets confusing because the tiles are really just a graphical representation of the panes.  So then there are two sets of filters (panes + into tiles) doing about the same thing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 01:32:05 pm »

Could you post a screenshot? I don't understand what you're talking about.

JONCAT

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 03:23:31 pm »

Something like this? :

I like this mode but how would you bring up list view at the bottom? It doesn't exist (like in Tile view) in Pane mode. Thus, when you double click, playback is started for Album Thumbnails. If this mode could provide a list view upon double click that would be interesting, but as Matt has shown this will take some consideration. I really like the quick search at the top of each thin pane.

DC

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 04:30:06 pm »

The trick is how to merge a view like that into the existing framework.

One solution is to show thin panes on the top of any tile view. (i.e. Genre, Artist, Album views in default view scheme)

However, it gets confusing because the tiles are really just a graphical representation of the panes.  So then there are two sets of filters (panes + into tiles) doing about the same thing.
Totally agree.  It just makes things more complex, and MC is a very complex program as it is.  (Let me shoot myself in the foot!). I think by default it should not be on, but an advanced option would be amazing.

I believe Alex B has a good mock up of what this could look like.  I will have to search for it.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 06:18:26 am »

I believe Alex B has a good mock up of what this could look like.  I will have to search for it.

I posted it on the beta board a few weeks ago.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Link

• World Citizen
  • Is that some kind of Eastern thing?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:46:25 am »

Ahh!!!

This is exactly what I have been trying to do!

I had never really been a fan of panes.... I didn't like the look of the window up top, so I just sorted by Filename(path) with my artist/album directory structure, and had MC display Album Thumbnails.  Then I could scroll thru all the alphabetically arranged Artist/Album thumbnails.... and the "Show Files" at the bottom gave me a good look at whatever I needed when I wanted details.  I never "clicked into" the album thumbnails.....I use the 1 level view, and get to details of the tracks via the list at the bottom.

Now, I just started playing with the Thin Panes.... and I love them!  Gives easy browsing/selection....but without hogging up screen real estate with ugly text boxes.  (I am a fan of showing as much art as possible).

I spent a fair bit of time trying to get the file list to show up at the bottom of this view before finding out it seems to not be possible. 

What Alex B has mocked up is indeed my dream set-up.

+1 to this request.......

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 09:06:02 pm »

Alex's vision is indeed also mine. Please, make this so in a future update.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 02:39:53 am »

I was sitting down and playing with the new panes, which look quite neat by the way.

But I came to the point that it would not be useful until another list window was in place. And look!, several people has already requested it!  :)

Count this for a vote!
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...
Pages: [1]   Go Up