INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtitles  (Read 1201 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Subtitles
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:10:57 am »

Hi,
Just another of my periodic requests to have all the subtitle file types auto import. Specifically I'd like to see .idx and .sub files imported. I want to use the stack feature to group all my movie files and their subtitle counterparts together, so that I can rename them and move them without having to worry about filename mismatches.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
Re: Subtitles
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 09:54:25 am »

Is there some reason not to mux video+subs to matroska?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 08:00:25 pm »

A very good reason; I don't know how to do it. :)
I use DVDFab to rip to mp4 files, with separate idx.sub files. I tried ripping to mkv files once but they didnt play back in MC. I just got a black screen. And even if they had played back, I dont know how to rewrap all of my mp4 files into the mkv container.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 04:19:54 am »

You can import subtitles manually (drag & drop to Playing Now, right-click > import), tag them and you should be able to stack them -- stacking kind of works, but it may be a bit unreliable. For example, undo doesn't seem to be able to revert naming changes of the stacked subtitle files. For now, it may be better to create a separate view scheme that can show all file types and keep the file unstacked.

I explained my "subtitles" tagging system in this old post:

From: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36072.msg246236#msg246236
I have been thinking how I could demonstrate my usual tagging style. Here is a try:

The task:

Import subtitle files from the video file folder. The video files are already imported and partially tagged. Tag all files properly and rename the disk files.

How-to:

1. Select the files in Windows Explorer and drag them to Playing Now.

The Playing Now list looks like this at this stage:

2. Click the artist column (in the file area) > press Ctrl+A > press F2 > press Enter
=> Result: all files have the Artist field filled as "Keeping Up Appearances".

a) Click the Name field of the first file, press Shift (keep pressed) + Down Arrow two times, press F2, press Enter
=> Result: the first three files have the Name field filled as "S01E01 - Daddy's Accident".

b) Press Down Arrow once, press Shift (keep pressed) + Down Arrow two times, press F2, press Enter
=> Result: the next three files have the Name field filled as "S01E02 - The Christening".

c) Repeat the step 3.b) four times for fixing the rest of the names.

4. Click the album column, press Ctrl+A, press F2, write the album name (Series 1) and press enter
=> Result: all files have the Album field filled as "Series 1"

5. Click the Date column, press Ctrl+A, press F2, write the correct year (1990) and press Enter
=> Result: all files have the Date field filled as "1990"

6. Click the File Type column header to reorder the files. Click the first AVI file on the Genre column, press Shift (keep pressed) + Down Arrow five times, press F2, Write "Co" (MC suggests Comedy), press Enter, press Down Arrow once, press Shift+End, press F2, Write "Su" (MC suggests Subtitles), press Enter.
=> Result: all AVI files have the Genre field filled as "Comedy" and all IDX & RAR files have the Genre field filled as "Subtitles"

7. All subtitle files are still selected. Press Shift (keep pressed) + Up Arrow six times (to select only the IDX files), use the "Fill Track Numbers From List Order" tool, press Down Arrow once, press Shift+End (to select only the RAR files), use the "Fill Track Numbers From List Order" tool.
=> Result: all subtitle files have correct track numbers.

8. Press CTRL+A and right-click import.

9. Use the Rename Files From Properties tool.

The end result:

This kind of tagging process takes only a few seconds of my time. The shortcuts have become intuitive to me so I don't need to think about the key combinations.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up