INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Saving Tag Changes"?  (Read 2148 times)

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
"Saving Tag Changes"?
« on: June 24, 2008, 06:10:56 pm »

I have been setting up a clean install of Vista. I just installed MC12, imported my library backup, played a bit of a song to make sure it worked, then just left it open for a few hours. I didn't change any options figuring I would do it later.

Just now I was getting ready to shut down and I closed MC, and it I get a message saying "Saving Tag Changes (39x remaining)"

WTH? I have no no idea what was changed or how many files it had already modified all that time I had it left open. Anyone have a clue?

Can MC please come with a default setting to NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!

And there really needs to be a more graceful way to escape out of that message. I had to do an end task.
Sue

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: "Saving Tag Changes"?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 06:22:19 pm »

Chill....

There are several things it could be doing, none of them scary.

Analyzing files, thumbnailing, getting missing cover art, recording playcounts, etc.

Next time you install, choose Custom Install and un-check anything you don't want.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 08:23:35 pm »

Chill....
That's a rather unprofessional response.

There are several things it could be doing, none of them scary.

Analyzing files, thumbnailing, getting missing cover art, recording playcounts, etc.
How is the customer supposed to know this when all they are given ins a vague message which implies that their files are being edited? You must admit your product attracts a customer base who tend to be rather particular about their file data. That is why we choose MC.

Rather than getting defensive, perhaps you can look at a way to improve this aspect of the product by warning the user before making unexpected changes to their files and providing a graceful way for the user to back out of an action that they did not initiate.

Next time you install, choose Custom Install and un-check anything you don't want.
I did. I would still like to be informed of exactly what is happening when a program is going to edit my files.
Sue

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 08:32:43 pm »

That's a rather unprofessional response.

You came in guns blazing, yet got a cordial response from Jim.

He listed things that could run in the background.  Calculating replay gain and saving it in the tag for example.  This is harmless and optional.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 08:47:03 pm »

How is it optional when I didn't know it was happening and there was no way for me to back out of it short of killing the process? I was not asked during install if I wanted MC to analyze my files. There are certain files I don't want analyzed.
Sue

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 04:41:33 pm »

As a new user, I found the "Saving Tag Changes" message a little disconcerting. If it's not anticipated based on what I've been doing, my natural response (yes, I talk to my computer) is "What are you doing to my files?!" But when I think about it, I realize a program like this is doing hundreds of different things, many of which might result in files being modified. If I see a message like this, it's only because the developers thought it would be helpful. They have no interest in throwing me into a panic. And there's obviously many more processes going on that I'm not being informed of. It's pointless for me to attempt to monitor those and kill the anything that causes me concern.

The learning curve is steep, but I've tried to take responsibility for studying the configuration options and set them to get the result I want. So, for example, all of my music files have already been analyzed and have a replay gain recorded in their tags. When I see an "analyze audio" option, I'm not sure what it does, but it seems prudent to turn it off. Beyond that, I have a lot of meticulously compiled information stored in my ID3 tags. I'm not sure what MC might do to those, but I've consciously taken the risk. So far, I see no indication MC is messing with my information. I note it has added some extended tags. I take this as a sign the developers are well-aware of the issues involved, and perhaps the risk to my precious data is less than I thought it might be.

Suggestions to "chill" and "trust me" are difficult to take (yes, they've been directed at me, and I probably deserved it). But I believe underlying those words is a desire that developer and user find a level of understanding and trust with one another that communication is effective and helpful.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:52:36 pm »

Here we go.  This is going to be good.

I know you mean well, Rick.  Thanks.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 05:21:01 am »

As a new user, I found the "Saving Tag Changes" message a little disconcerting.

When I see an "analyze audio" option, I'm not sure what it does, but it seems prudent to turn it off.
Seems to me an import has been done and MC is doing an Audio analyse in the background. You can turn this *in the background* off in the options

don't have MC in front of me atm, for more specific directions

All Analyse Audio does is 'calculate' for BPM, replay gain, intensity and store them in the corresponding tags.

Otherwise, was a mass tag edit performed ? if so MC is completing, 'in the background'.

I prefer to do mass tag changes when i know i won't have to switch MC off anytime soon otherwise there is a risk of library corruption, especially if tags are being saved back to the files (takes longer depending on the tag).

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 03:29:21 pm »

Seems to me an import has been done and MC is doing an Audio analyse in the background. You can turn this *in the background* off in the options

If I recall correctly, I had turned it off—which is why I wondered what tag changes it was saving. My point is there are probably lots of reasons why tags would need updating, none of which should concern me. Maybe even my original concern (that replay gains had already been set) was unfounded—the program is probably recognizes this and doesn't attempt to redo it. I think the point of such messages is to keep me informed of tasks that can take a long time to complete. I understand your point... My computer is old/slow, so I need to defer such things until bedtime.

Thanks for clarifying exactly what Analyze Audio does. I'm not sure if BPM or intensity are of any use to me. Maybe I should just turn it on—and see what happens!!!  :o  Much too scary. Here's an answer...

That happens if imported MP3 files already contain ID3tags with Replay Gain and Peak values created by some other program. In this case MC uses the existing values and does not automatically start the analyzer. The BPM and Intensity values are not used with Volume Leveling. They are useful only for displayed information, sorting and and searches.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 08:12:17 pm »

My apologies for coming in "guns blazing." Reinstalling my OS makes me grumpy. (And I would have posted this sooner but my DSL was out.)

I still think there should not be any default settings that can modify files.  :P Or, if it can't be avoided, there should be a notification of what is happening.

Next time I will try to remember to set options before restoring my library.

I'll shut up now.
Sue

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 08:38:25 pm »

You're a good person.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up