INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme mp3 encoding?  (Read 2217 times)

• World Citizen
Extreme mp3 encoding?
« on: June 26, 2008, 11:45:21 pm »

If I select Extreme mp3 encoding, under the handheld options for ipod, does that mean that all files remain the same bitrate when being played off the ipod as when being played in MC?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Extreme mp3 encoding?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 04:44:06 pm »

If I select Extreme mp3 encoding, under the handheld options for ipod, does that mean that all files remain the same bitrate when being played off the ipod as when being played in MC?

Do I understand correctly that the songs in your library are already in mp3 format, encoded at VBR Extreme?  Is so, and if the Handheld conversion "mode" is set to only convert formats that aren't supported by the iPod, then mp3's will not be converted at all -- they'll literally be the same mp3 files that are played in MC.  If you already have mp3's in your library, there is no reason to covert them for the iPod unless you want them to be smaller and more compressed, in which case you'd select the mode to compress "higher bitrate" songs.

Was that the answer you were looking for?  I'm not entirely sure I understood your question.

Larry

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 05:46:08 pm »

Yep. That what I was saying. So if I have a 320 kbps song, it will play off the iPod at 320 kbps? What about flacs and apes? How much do they get compressed if the setting is on extreme?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 07:15:39 pm »

Yep. That what I was saying. So if I have a 320 kbps song, it will play off the iPod at 320 kbps?

If it's an mp3, and you didn't "force" MC to re-encode it, then yes -- the bitrate will be the same (since it's the exact same file.)

What about flacs and apes? How much do they get compressed if the setting is on extreme?

VBR Extreme has a "target" bitrate of 245kbps, and the average bitrate will be 220 to 260kbps, with spikes going all the way up to 320kbps when "needed."  The bitrate will depend on the complexity of the wave form.

I really don't know how this compares to FLAC or APE, but it would depend on the compression settings you use -- note that FLAC and APE offer "lossless" encoding, which mp3 does not -- mp3 is always "lossy."  If you want to encode lossless, use FLAC or APE.  If you want to encode with compression, however, I'd stick with mp3 since it's by far the most compatible lossy format.  If you want to compare files sizes (i.e. amounts of compression) you'll have to do some tests.

If you want to encode lossless for MC but still use an iPod, you'd rip using FLAC in MC, then set the handheld conversion options in MC to convert the files to a format the iPod can handle (like mp3 at VBR Extreme) when syncing the iPod.

Larry

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 10:36:43 am »

If you want to encode lossless for MC but still use an iPod, you'd rip using FLAC in MC, then set the handheld conversion options in MC to convert the files to a format the iPod can handle (like mp3 at VBR Extreme) when syncing the iPod.

Larry

This is what I do.  It works very well.  Just expect the syncs to take a while longer.
I sync mine once per week.  I start it at bedtime and let it run overnight.
It's ready for me as I head out the door to work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up