INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vertical Scrolling Smartlists  (Read 1930 times)

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
Vertical Scrolling Smartlists
« on: July 04, 2008, 10:37:42 pm »

I'm having a hard time making large search queries in smartlists.  With too many entries, the smartlist begins to extend beyond the range of the monitor.  Would it be possible to add a vertical scrollbar to smartlists menus? 

I don't know if this is the case... but this lack of vertical scrollbars may apply to other menus as well.

Thanks!

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Vertical Scrolling Smartlists
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 11:58:07 pm »

you know what, I thought about this before, a long time ago, and decided only to mention if I ever ran out of screen real estate, and so far, I never have, and I have one or two pretty complex smartlists...

I'm curious to know if you really have breached the limit, or perhaps there may be some missed shortcuts or other redundancy in your rules. Multiple sort rules can really eat into the available screen inches too.
Is there any chance you could hit the 'import/export' button and paste the contents here?

Also, what size of screen are you using and at what resolution?

-marko.

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 03:02:31 am »

Maybe I missed some shortcuts... there certainly is redundancy in my ruleset.  Here is my situation:  I'm trying to make a list of files I need converted to mp3 for my iPod cache (the current 'build cache' method converts all files rather than just the ones that are going to be synced), and so to create a complete list of playlist files, I'm using a master smartlist to account all the different types of playlists.

I keep playlist information in the "comment" tag, and so I'm searching for keywords within the comment tags.  However, creating a comprehensive list means that I have to enter in multiple queries which leads to one search box for "XXX", one for "OR", one for "YYY", etc.  Within 9 or 10 entries, the smartlist will extend beyond the range of my monitor.  I know there are workarounds, but wouldn't a scrollbar be the most ideal solution? 

I use MC on my 12inch laptop with a resolution of 1280x800 and on my 21inch desktop with a resolution of 1680x1050.  The laptop has more trouble with this than the desktop does, but using the desktop doesn't solve the overall issue.  Here is an example of what my smartlist looks like:

[Comment]="Dance" OR [Comment]="Soft Piano" OR [Genre]="Acoustic" OR [Comment]="Mellow" OR [Comment]="Waking" OR [Comment]="Jazz" OR [Comment]="Pumped" OR [Comment]="Guitar" OR [Comment]="Driving" ~sort=[Album],[Name]

I hope that info helps see what I'm talking about.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 03:39:54 am »

First of all, you can remove all of the "OR" rules.
Hover the mouse just left of the first rule until the cursor changes, and you see the tooltip shown, and click.
Do the same, just to the right of the last rule...

I feel it's an oversight that there is no indication from the GUI that this area is interactive, hence it gets missed by everyone who is not obsessively Interactive, except for those that stumble upon it by accident.
more info: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46456.msg318347#msg318347

-marko.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 05:30:34 am »

I feel it's an oversight that there is no indication from the GUI that this area is interactive, hence it gets missed by everyone who is not obsessively Interactive, except for those that stumble upon it by accident.
more info: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46456.msg318347#msg318347

Agreed!

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 12:34:38 am »

Sweet, that clears up half the screen! 

I still think that scrollbars should be automatically incorporated for any menus that extend beyond the range of a monitor... you know, for those crazy long smartlists with truly random query inputs :).
Pages: [1]   Go Up