INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist Question - "Last imported albums" for iPod  (Read 2273 times)

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
Smartlist Question - "Last imported albums" for iPod
« on: July 07, 2008, 02:28:56 am »

I'm trying to accomplish something quite specific in MC, with the help of a number of smartlists. The smartlists i already have are working quite well, but i'm running into performance problems because of the complexity of the "smartlist framework", so i'm asking myself (and now, other Interact members (; ) if there's a more elegant solution.

First, a description of what i want to do:
For my iPod, i want to have playlists of the last x imported albums, where at least one of the album's tracks track has not been rated yet. I want one playlist per album. I want about 25-30 of these playlists.

Short description of my current solution:
I have one "master smartlist" with the following parameters:
Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Genre]=[Audiobook],[Comedy],[Computer],[Podcast] [Rating]=0 -[_ipod_exclude]=1 -[_ipod_exclude_auto]=1 ~sort=[Date Imported]-d ~nodup=[Album] ~n=20This gives me a list of single tracks as per my specifications.

Then i have 25 smartlists with something like:
Code: [Select]
playlistid==87289916 -playlistid==1047211171 ~sort=[Date Imported]-d ~n=1 ~aThese give me complete albums, based on the "master smartlist". Of course, the more smartlists i have, the more of the "previous" smartlists i have to exclude, in order to get a "new" album with every smartlist. This makes the "later" smartlists, where i have to exclude a lot of other smartlists, quite slow.

Now, my question is: is there a more elegant way to achieve what i want, without the excessive use of excluded smartlists? I think one solution would be to point the smartlists to specific tracks in the master smartlist (like "number 1" or "number 5"), but i have no idea how to do that.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Smartlist Question - "Last imported albums"
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:32:58 am »

Not sure why you want all the excess smartlists (1 per album).  The ipod already lets you view the tracks by album.
I use a smartlist similar to yours that selects all unrated tracks imported in the last 60 days.
I have mine sort randomly, but you can have yours sort by artist/album/track# if you want to listed to the complete albums instead.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
Re: Smartlist Question - "Last imported albums" for iPod
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 01:03:45 pm »

I've re-posted my questions here, as this forum doesn't seem to be the correct one for the questions i'm asking. The fact that i want to have smartlists for use on the iPod doesn't make my post iPod-related after all. (;

If you can help me with my problem, please use the other thread.

P.S.: zxsix, i know i could change my "master smartlist" a little, and get one single smartlist with all albums in it. But for usability reasons, this is not what i want. I also don't use the "built-in" iPod navigational functions at all, because i feel they are too limited compared to what MC can do. I have a huge number of playlists, which represent my collection based on various criteria. There's much more than album names, artists and genres. (;
Pages: [1]   Go Up