INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sometimes lose Last Played stats  (Read 1596 times)

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
sometimes lose Last Played stats
« on: July 08, 2008, 01:20:09 am »

I usually play my music with a pretty complex algorthm that relies on the Last Played date as well as the Number Plays count. Unfortunately I seem to loose these stats sometimes. I have 2 guesses as to the cause of this:

Guess #1: When I sync my iPod it overwrites the play stats even if that means the playcount decreased and/or the last played date goes back in time. Is this possible?

Guess #2: I believe that loosing them is related to trying to load a database that is already in use at another location, but I'm not sure. Here's the scenario I sometimes run into, is there anything in this that might be causing the problems?

1. I listen to music at work connected over a VPN to my PC at home where the library is stored. The adjusts the Last Played stats as normal.

2. I shut down MC at work and go home.

3. I start up MC at home and perhaps listen to music there too, but also do stuff like updating my podcasts any syncing my iPod.

4. I shut down MC at home and go to work. (*** sometimes I forget to shutdown MC***)

5a. I get to work and start up MC (repeat from #1).

5b. I startup MC and get the message the library is in use when I forgot to shut it down at #4. I then shut down the read-only MC, remote desktop to my machine at home, shut down MC there, and start it up again at work. It is often (always?) when this happens that I loose the previous day's play stats.

Now, what I find particularly odd is that I loose the previous day's stats. Shouldn't they have been committed to the db as I play the music?

JONCAT

Re: sometimes loose Last Played stats
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 08:38:21 am »

This is interesting (bump)....

DC

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: sometimes loose Last Played stats
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 11:00:21 am »

Doesn't say which version is being used ?

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
Re: sometimes lose Last Played stats
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 07:35:49 pm »

Sorry, version in .520, but I've seen this periodically with older versions too.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 05:11:57 am »

I reported the same problem recently.  I had to import from an older database backup.  Really annoying as, like you, I use LAST PLAYED in most of my track/album selection smartlists.

Mark

JONCAT

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:06:56 am »

Not sure if this is pertinent, but I was cleaning up my computer and I found about 10
LastPlayed.jmd.tmp files in my library folder.

It's not a field I'm very interested in and I don't utilize the info so I can't tell you if I'm having the same problem. All those .tmp files got my attention though.

DC

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 05:35:05 pm »

Hey, maybe those are my missing stats, and mark_h's. Have you been stealing our last played stats?!?  :P

JONCAT

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 06:19:26 pm »

You know ...I could not for the life of me figure out why I had apparently been playing so much Menudo & Rick Astley lately!  :o

DC

TheLongshot

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 12:40:14 am »

At some point, the play count disappeared for all of my tracks, but when I play them, the stats return for that particular track.  So, the information is someplace in the database still, but it isn't reporting for some reason until it writes another entry into that record.

Jason
Pages: [1]   Go Up