INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a way to build a smartlist in playlists similiar to media mode buttons?  (Read 1289 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

hi ive been wondering if this is possible for a long time, due to the time it takes me to sort things out.

I have many playlists, and when having people over that is all they use are the playlists.

In my playlists i have groups.. music, pictures, videos, ringtones, soundeffects, thx\dts, and in those groups are plylists\folders.

My question is is there a way for me to make my playlists AUTO UPDATE in certain categories? meaning my pictures, i have hundreds of thousands of pics. and am constantly adding pics, but i have always sorted my pics into appropriate folders in WINDOWS. but the problem with that is that everytime i do auto import and if i have made new folders in my pics, or added new pics to other folders, i have to manually put them in appoproate folders(and if new folders make new folder under my pictures)

Example... i have My pictures then playlists, family pics, son pics, car pics, my photography, then graphic pics,(and in graphic pics i have prolly 60 folders in windows that are categorized like angels, fairies, dragons, abstract, sunsets, nature, rainbows, weddings bands, hearts, scary, pirates, etc... so if i'm explaining this right, my goal is to have a smartlist\playlist group in my pictures that is identical to when i click on the media mode images where i can choose edit view scheme location root, so that any time i put pics into my pictures folders or make new folders in windows, and then choose auto import in J river media center it automatically makes the same playlist folders\tree structure for me... So i don't have to keep REsorting making the same thing i have already done in windows.

Is this possible by any chance?

Thank you!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...

So i don't have to keep REsorting making the same thing i have already done in windows.

Made me think of adding folders as a pane in viewschemes, which will reflect your folder structure exactly.

It's a diff way to your current system but does it make things easier ?

In a viewscheme Create a pane->of Type File path, in the next field below enter a base path and take it from there.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen

Made me think of adding folders as a pane in viewschemes, which will reflect your folder structure exactly.

If you do your organizing already in Windows then I agree with hit_ny - Use a view scheme.

By default there is a View Scheme called "Disk Location" (if you've deleted it then you can re-create it: it has one View Item (type: File Path))... Choose to edit this View Scheme and in Step 1 of the wizard, select "Location (root)" and choose edit... change the base root to the location of your files.  This will prevent all of the parent directories from being displayed (like c:\documents and settings\user name... etc).

This works well from Theater View, too.  I use this approach for downloaded TV shows - instead of tagging them all so that they show up in the appropriate smartlists I just put them in the right folder or subfolder and shorten the (often ugly) filenames. 

After I watch a show I often delete it, so I don't want to invest much time tagging and organizing.

If you really, really want to use playlists (and not a view scheme) then you could make a bunch of smart lists that only include photos in a certain directory (like a "My son" smartlist that "includes Images only" and "filename (path) contains" the path to the photos of your son).  This would be a load of work, but you would only have to do it once.

All that being said, it would be easier to tag your photos... all of the categories you mentioned would fit well in tags and then you could use MC to slice and dice your library in many ways, and easily.  A view scheme (as described above) would make this really easy since you could find & select a folder and apply a tag to all of those photos at once.  Just a thought.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

view schemes are only available on the media mode buttons though correct?

meaning audio images and video?

if so... those i already have set up as view scheme. and i use those personally.

it just i'd like my playlist to have that ability as well. but from the sound sof it it's not possible.

one question i do have about view schemes(audio,images, video)

when i use to go to it, and select my pictures, all the folder in root would show up and then 1\2 way down there was a line\divider and that showed the previews, then i would double click say graphic photos, but that divider\preview would stay NOT MINIMIZE. then i would double click the folder i wanted to see in graphic pics, say angels, and immediatelly it would show all agel pictures... but recently, the preview\line\divider on bottom is always minimized when i choose a new folder, and i always have to click the up arrow on botom of jriver to see the pics in that folder?

Any ideas why?

Thanks for your replies
Pages: [1]   Go Up