INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] Can the info bar Spectrum Analyzer be relocated?  (Read 1235 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe

Whenever I play a track in MC, the top info bar also shows left and right channel volume in multi-frequency spectrum "meter" mode. Very nice.

BUT... Very non-standard because the two channels are on opposite sides of the display -- impossible to look at simultaneously to compare and contrast second by second. Not exactly how it is done in a studio where the displayed info is of high value to the user.

I use this Spectrum Analyzer to detect anomalies, such as to determine if a two-channel recording is mono or fake-stereo. This is where an original mono recording is split with some frequencies in one channel, the other frequencies in the other channel. In the old days this was usually a bass/treble split, but in recent years multiple frequency bands can be split, which can fool the ears. But glancing at the playback spectrum of the two channels reveals the truth -- except it's so darn difficult to do because they aren't adjacent.

I know, seems trivial, except to someone who actually uses the displayed information, where the current layout is a demerit on MC.  (My excuse for caring is, I'm certified by the Society of Broadcast Engineers as a SBE Senior Engineer and have spent too much of my life staring at bouncing meters :P)

And yes, I can and do display a really big, colorful spectrum meter as part of my Now Playing display -- very nice. But not especially convenient when working in views, play and editing tracks and jumping all around MC. I'd love to see the standard play info bar Spectrum Analyzer's two channels be moved together, ideally on the left side.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: [SUGGESTION] Can the info bar Spectrum Analyzer be relocated?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 03:35:11 pm »

Maybe we should sell a pair of glasses with the right correction built in.

Or a tiny dot next to one or the other that showed green when it was real stereo, orange on mono, and red when it was fake stereo.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: [SUGGESTION] Can the info bar Spectrum Analyzer be relocated?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 04:55:28 pm »

Or a tiny dot next to one or the other that showed green when it was real stereo, orange on mono, and red when it was fake stereo.
not too tiny, some of us are aging   :P
. . . the game is rigged
Pages: [1]   Go Up