INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trial Installation Expired When Installed  (Read 1512 times)

vrodhogrider

Trial Installation Expired When Installed
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:57:45 am »

Hi,

Could someone please explain to me, if possible, why the Media Center trial is already expired immediately after I install it? 

I tried it at least 6 times today, using freshly downloaded copies of the software from different sites (J River, Download.com etc.) and completely and thoroughly uninstalling using REVO Uninstaller between attempts. Each time, immediately after installing, when I attempted to start the program, I got the little pop-up window with the notification that the 30-day trial had expired.

This has happened with other programs, a very few times, in the past. When this has happened before, I assumed it was an indication of the unreliability of both the program and the company that produced it. Should I make that assumption now also? On those few past occasions, the software involved was merely something I was curious about and decided to try. I was really interested in this program and was hoping it would be useful in the long run.

I can't believe it is a conflict problem of some kind. The program installs successfully and, probably, would run except for this erroneous expiration determination. I'd really appreciate your assistance, because this has me stymied.

Thanks

the V-Rod Hog Rider

P.S. OS is Vista Ultimate (3.2 GHz CPU with 2 Gigs of RAM)

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Trial Installation Expired When Installed
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:08:54 am »

It just means that Media Center has been on your system for 30 days. Doesn't matter if you uninstall and reinstall. You can try a different computer.

j

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:09:35 am »

Welcome to Interact.  Please check your system date.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 10:21:36 am »

From a "regular user" I can assure you that this is no indication of the quality of the software.  Trial "early expiration" problems are rare, but does happen occasionally.   This is almost always because testers either have the wrong system date, or they forgot they installed the trial once before a long, long time ago and never used it (MC12 has been under development for a while now, so it could have been a year or more ago.)

I'm not normally easily convinced to become a fanboy for non-free software, but MC is the real deal.

One other option, if you can't get the trial to work.  Media Jukebox is very, very similar to MC, but is free.  They are both built on the same exact codebase, but MJ is limited to audio only (whereas MC handles effectively all file types) and the UI is a simplified just a tiny bit.

If you can't get the trial to work for whatever reason, give MJ a try instead.  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=2.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 12:54:40 pm »

changing the system name will also cause a trial period to end immediately.

trying the free media jukebox software is sound advice. It will definitely give you an idea of how the program and its support works.

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up