INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IMDB lookup/synopsis?  (Read 2049 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
IMDB lookup/synopsis?
« on: July 23, 2008, 11:50:29 am »

Hi, long time no post!
I've been keeping busy getting another job and now being busy keeping it :)

Is there a way to add a link to a file, like a clickable IMDB url in a field for easy access? This would be great, so I don't have to answer the question "Hey, what's this movie about" anymore (always giving the answer 'Look it up on IMDB, dear', which she never bothers to).
If not, wouldn't that be the idea of the day? :)

Also, on a side note, where's the best place to put a movie synopsis? Where do you guys do it (and i know you do!)?

Thanks!
/Martin

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: IMDB lookup/synopsis?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 01:12:19 pm »

When I first got into MC, I assumed that it would have a lookup feature, or at least a way of displaying a synopsis. Unfortunately, by the time I was convinced that such a capability did not exist, it was too late, and I'd invested a big chunk of my time in organising my video library with MC. I guess it goes back to MC's audio roots. Despite these shortcomings, though, I'm still very satisfied with MC's handling of my video library; I would change if I were not.
I really wish we could display a movie synopsis or IMDB page from within Theater View. Perhaps in a future release? What's certain is that many people have requested this type of enhancement, and multiple threads already exist -  but might be too vague in their titles to search for. In the meantime, I download the DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD cover art for most of my video files, and zoom in 100% on the cover art in Standard View's Thumbnail view. That way I can read the text on the DVD box. I wish there were a quick way to do this, but the best I've found is to use the slider, or double click on the image file display to maximise it. Again, this option isn't available in Theater View, and is therefore kind of frustrating; it's not too slick when Theater View displays your movies and you get asked, "Is Cloverfield that movie about baseball?", and since you're senile and can't remember, you have to exit Theater View, select the image of Cloverfield's thumbnail and expand the picture of the DVD cover to full size. "No it a monster movie, a bit like Blair Witch Project," you can finally say. Back to Theater View...

"What's Blair Witch Project?"
 :P

oias.heeda

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 05:56:08 pm »

When I first got into MC, I assumed that it would have a lookup feature, or at least a way of displaying a synopsis. Unfortunately, by the time I was convinced that such a capability did not exist, it was too late, and I'd invested a big chunk of my time in organising my video library with MC. I guess it goes back to MC's audio roots. Despite these shortcomings, though, I'm still very satisfied with MC's handling of my video library; I would change if I were not.
I really wish we could display a movie synopsis or IMDB page from within Theater View. Perhaps in a future release? What's certain is that many people have requested this type of enhancement, and multiple threads already exist -  but might be too vague in their titles to search for. In the meantime, I download the DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD cover art for most of my video files, and zoom in 100% on the cover art in Standard View's Thumbnail view. That way I can read the text on the DVD box. I wish there were a quick way to do this, but the best I've found is to use the slider, or double click on the image file display to maximise it. Again, this option isn't available in Theater View, and is therefore kind of frustrating; it's not too slick when Theater View displays your movies and you get asked, "Is Cloverfield that movie about baseball?", and since you're senile and can't remember, you have to exit Theater View, select the image of Cloverfield's thumbnail and expand the picture of the DVD cover to full size. "No it a monster movie, a bit like Blair Witch Project," you can finally say. Back to Theater View...

"What's Blair Witch Project?"
 :P

LOL!
Yeah i think this function would also be great. I have only just started using JRiver for my movie files and would like to do this at the beginning not further down the track when i have 10,000+ files.

gappie

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 06:54:52 am »

one solution, that is not available in Theater View is to rightclick on a movie, go to send to, external, and add edit programms

add a program, and give it a name, Put IExplore.exe (when using ie, firefox has something the same) in programm path, and

http:////www.imdb.com//find?s=tt&q=[Name]

in the parameter.

make sure that you recent command count is high enough, so that it is always immediatly available under your right mouse button.

:)
gab

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 08:26:12 am »

Does any one know why this hasn't been addressed?  It seems like an obvious feature for theater view.  Would it be too hard to implement or is there not enough interest expressed to give it any sort of priority?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 09:24:37 am »

There definitely IS interest in this, as it comes up time after time. I can see myself migrating to another front end for video, but continuing to use MC to tag and organise my files. I really don't want to have to do that because, in general, I like the way directshow filters etc. are handled by MC.
The IMDB lookup thing may be difficult to implement, or perhaps there are licencing/copyright issues. In any case, I find that plot synopsis is limited/variable at best on IMDB, and that DVD covers are better for that. However, IMDB does have a host of other info that might be important to some, e.g. director, full cast etc.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 09:25:34 am »

Is there a way to add a link to a file, like a clickable IMDB url in a field for easy access? This would be great, so I don't have to answer the question "Hey, what's this movie about" anymore (always giving the answer 'Look it up on IMDB, dear', which she never bothers to).

Did we marry sisters?

+1 for this feature from me also.

In the meantime, I copy/paste the synopsis from imdb or netflix into the 'bios' field in MC for some of the movies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up