INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art problem, can MC fix it?  (Read 1487 times)

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
Cover art problem, can MC fix it?
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:11:28 pm »

I've recently added a new HU to my car, a Kenwood DNX-7100. Via its USB interface, it'll play audio files and supposedly display their cover art. I've got a fairly extensive music library in MC12, though I don't think I've used Media Center to add most of the cover art (either it was already embedded, or I've used a 3rd party tag program to add it prior to importing to Media Center).

The problem I'm having is the Kenwood unit is not displaying all of the cover art, despite it being embedded in the MP3 files. After a bit more investigation, when viewing the tags in Windows Media Player 11 (advanced tag editor), there seems to be several different categories for image tags. The files that aren't displaying the cover art have it set to "user defined", while those that ARE displaying it have it set to "cover (front)". Great, problem solved, except... Windows Media Player 11 seems to take about 5 minutes to change the settings for an entire album, and with over 700 albums, it'd take me almost a week to fix them all.

Is there any way to do this via Media Center 12 (relatively) quickly and (somewhat) easily? Can you even select which cover art setting is used by Media Center 12 (deleting all the cover art from the files and putting it back in there won't help if it doesn't get set to the right setting)? Or is there a 3rd party tag editor with a batch mode that I should be looking for? Thanks.

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
Re: Cover art problem, can MC fix it?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:20:00 am »

Alright, talkin' to myself again. It seems that when MC12 is saving the cover art imbedded in the files, Windows Media Center 11 is reporting them saved as the "cover (front)", which is just what I needed.

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
Re: Cover art problem, can MC fix it?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 10:50:58 pm »

Just because I REALLLLLY like talking to myself, here's what I did (if anyone is interested).

I've got MC12 set to save cover art in a folder, and also embed it in the tags (because nobody can make 2 different players which use the same standard). I selected my files, and told MC12 to "Remove Cover Art". It asked if I wanted to get rid of the art files as well. I told it most certainly NOT!

Now I had a big library with no cover art. I selected everything again, told it to "Quick Find in Folder/Cover Art Directory". It complained about it was going to take a long time. Yeah, I'd already figured that. It started working, and I went to sleep. When I left for work 11 hours later, it was still at it, with about 3300 tags left to update (out of just over 9000).

When I came home, MC12 was nowhere to be found. I restarted it, and it complained about crashing, and wanted to do all sorts of lame start-up stuff. I told it to just start normally. It took a bit, but all the cover art came up (most of it even correct). There were a few items I had to go back and re-do, but considering it was dealing with over 700 albums and it was mostly a hands-off procedure, I was quite satisfied with the results.

Now if I could just get the #$^&@ Kenwood DNX-7100 to play randomly off the USB input. I've got a cute lil' 60 GB 1.8" external USB drive just achin' to be used...
Pages: [1]   Go Up