INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Cards - Pro vs. Consumer?  (Read 3568 times)

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
Sound Cards - Pro vs. Consumer?
« on: July 25, 2008, 09:01:39 am »

Hi,

At present, I am using a Creative Labs USB sound card, purchased because it was a cheap, 'starter' card. It is connected to a laptop and to my home stereo amp. I'm still in the process of converting CDs and cataloguing my collection (70% there), and after I'm done I thought I'd upgrade the sound card.

I'm just starting to shop around, but one thing that struck me is how much more expensive external consumer cards seem to be, compared to external pro cards.  For around $300, I can get a "pro" firewire card with good jitter reduction, the ability to handle multiple sample rates and bit depths; excellent converters, stable drivers. On paper, comparable consumer cards I see cost at least twice as much.

I do have such a card (more expensive, but similar) in a project studio. Playback of CDs/finished music sounds great. Granted, the setup is different than a home stereo, as I have TRS cables running to specialsed monitors. But, most such "pro" cards have line-outs suitable for a home stereo amp.

Why then are consumer cards (with comparable stats) more expensive? Is there any reason not to use a pro card with a home stereo (outside of aesthetics)?

I hadn't seen this addressed in other posts, sorry if the topic has been raised already.

VB

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: Sound Cards - Pro vs. Consumer?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 11:24:53 pm »

If you're comfortable with pro style gear and understand the different line levels and connectors used for pro audio vs. home audio, then I see no reason to shy away from pro style gear for a home computer listening setup.

I use an M-Audio FW-410 for my home computer listening setup.  Along with a Mackie Big Knob, M-Audio monitors, home headphone amp, and headphones.  The FW-410 is about 4 years old.  If I was to get something today I might go with something different, maybe something that uses USB 2.0 rather than Firewire.  The Firewire is fussy about particular Firewire interface chips, IRQs, and isn't safe to hotplug while the computer is on.  It all works though and sounds good.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 12:08:49 pm »

Why then are consumer cards (with comparable stats) more expensive? Is there any reason not to use a pro card with a home stereo (outside of aesthetics)?

I hadn't seen this addressed in other posts, sorry if the topic has been raised already.

VB

Need more info.
What have you compared so far to draw this conclusion?

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 11:09:16 pm »

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for not responding sooner. I forgot to turn on notification.

I don't remember the models...it was a while ago that I looked into it. What I did notice, however, was that higher-end consumer devices are harder to find. I can get an array of quality outboard sound cards (audio interfaces) at Guitar Center down the road, but Best Buy sells only a couple of lower end models. The higher-end consumer cards I researched were all online.

There are various models of M-Audio USB audio interfaces, and I'll probably go with one of them. With a high-Z input, I can even plug my guitar in once in a while and play along for the fun of it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up