INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Plugin: Last.Fm Auto DJ v1.2  (Read 85816 times)

davjand

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: New Plugin: Last.Fm Auto DJ v1.2
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2008, 08:29:28 am »

If you have already tried installing it, make sure you've uninstalled it via add/remove programs not just from within the plugin manager in MC.

You shouldn't need to change the path by the way.

Also make sure you have the latest MC build.

tboy34

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Tim
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2008, 08:58:18 am »

If you have already tried installing it, make sure you've uninstalled it via add/remove programs not just from within the plugin manager in MC.

You shouldn't need to change the path by the way.

Also make sure you have the latest MC build.

Could someone direct me to the link to get this download again. I tried what you said and I still got an error message before. I lost the file by the was.

Ok after searching some more I think I found the file. Yet it will not install. I went into Media 13 and chose plug-in's and tried to install this file: MC_Plugin_LastFmRecommend.dll, then I get an error message. Can anyone shed some light on this?  ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

tvk

davjand

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2008, 06:49:33 pm »

Hi

Sorry, I misread your post due to the quotes. You can get it here (same as link in first post)
If you got it from the j river website then that is currently only v1.1 which could be causing problems, I'll go about getting it updated now.

To install:
remove any previous versions using their uninstallers
if you've used mc's plugin manager to install then uninstall via that as well.
run the downloaded file and follow the installer, you shouldn't need to change the path.

tboy34

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Tim
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2008, 07:36:54 pm »

Hi

Sorry, I misread your post due to the quotes. You can get it here (same as link in first post)
If you got it from the j river website then that is currently only v1.1 which could be causing problems, I'll go about getting it updated now.

To install:
remove any previous versions using their uninstallers
if you've used mc's plugin manager to install then uninstall via that as well.
run the downloaded file and follow the installer, you shouldn't need to change the path.

Thank you I did what you said, and it worked. I love this plug in. You can just go do other things and get musical surprises. I noticed that Media 13 is a lot faster too. While the new track is coming. It checks very, very fast. Thank you again.
tvk

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2008, 12:22:23 pm »

First: Thank you for writing one of the best plugins for MC in a long time!   ;D

Just one small thing: Streamed tracks gets this anoyng "STREAM:" prefix to the songname. Is there a way to remove this?

davjand

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2008, 03:02:32 pm »

It should be removed automatically when you 'keep' a track, otherwise it is essentially just a half streamed track (not complete).

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2008, 11:48:39 am »

It should be removed automatically when you 'keep' a track, otherwise it is essentially just a half streamed track (not complete).

It shows up on Last.fm like this:
Gene STREAM: Still Can't Find the Phone

Would be nice if it at least became optional to have the "STREAM:" prefix. Off course this can be fixed by replacing "STREAM:" with "" in the Last.fm plugin, but it would be even greater to remove the "STREAM:" prefix totally.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2008, 09:52:02 am »

I get a .NET framework error from this plugin.

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Running Vista 64 and MC13. But I also see this error on my old laptop running xp.

Should i Post the log here?

davjand

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2008, 05:23:24 pm »

When do you get it?

You can post a log which I'll have a glance at (just post a level 2 log for now) but I don't have a huge amount of time at the moment.

As I've mentioned before, there are a few random bugs here and there, a few result in .net error frameworks but they are extremely hard to repeat and thus solve. They don't seem to affect the plugin 99% of the time and the time it would take to track them down would be huge so I've not bothered looking into them.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2009, 03:58:11 pm »

I've been using this the last couple of days and it is GREAT! Can I send you a check?  ;)  One question, sorry if this has been answered but I can't find it. If a song is playing by a certain artist and I like it, can I have the DJ find other songs by that artist only, and not random songs?

davjand

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2009, 06:18:35 pm »

Sorry but it isn't currently possible to do that but it would be an easy feature to implement which I may look at when I next have some time. Sorry as well by the way as I've been busy over christmas so didn't get chance to add any of the extra features that I wanted to :(

It would be quite a simple thing to add though so I may have a look at it over the coming weeks (or possibly months as I'm quite busy).

I wasn't going to ask for donations but if you would like to donate then I'm open to them!

Cheers for the feedback guys!

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2009, 03:05:36 pm »

I'll make a donation once I get a little extra cash.

To clarify the above post, what I was thinking of was a checkbox like "find other songs by currently playing artist"

One other option I thought of. Now you have the option of saving all tracks or selecting the ones to save as they play. But the latter doesn't work in Theater View AFAIK. So maybe allow the option to keep all tracks that play all the way through. If you skip it, it is discarded. 

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2009, 12:16:39 am »

I think what would be really cool, is if there was a way to take that idea, plus other options, and make them available in the taskbar as toolbar option, so that you don't have to change the playing now screen in  MC to get to the 'hidden' plugin settings.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2009, 09:15:35 pm »

Anyone know why all songs get tagged as Blues and how to change it?

davjand

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2009, 06:06:49 am »

The plugin doesn't attempt to set the genre of the songs downloaded as the information isn't immediately available on last.fm. It must be the default setting for MC?

datdude, are you talking about the top or bottom toolbars? I'm not sure if it is possible to add your own buttons, does anyone know of anyway to do this? I don't have much time at the moment but I will investigate it further at a later date.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2009, 12:53:22 pm »

Genre is being set even before songs start to play. MC must be applying it to streams, but I don't see an option to change it.

Not a huge deal, I don't use Genre Blues, I have Blues and Soul, so if I see Blues I know it's from the DJ. I'll still see if I can fix it just to make things cleaner.

Is there a way for the DJ to remember my password?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2009, 02:03:50 pm »

The plugin doesn't attempt to set the genre of the songs downloaded as the information isn't immediately available on last.fm. It must be the default setting for MC?

datdude, are you talking about the top or bottom toolbars? I'm not sure if it is possible to add your own buttons, does anyone know of anyway to do this? I don't have much time at the moment but I will investigate it further at a later date.

I'm talking about the Vista Taskbar.

davjand

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2009, 07:08:42 pm »

Hey guys, I'm back around for a bit at the moment!

@mabes
1) I'll have a look into genre at some point but it's most likely MC's auto tagging or something
2) It does remember your password - it is encrypted before it is stored so the password box can't be refilled with characters when you re-open MC. It does remember it though and is only changed if you type a new password

@datdude
I'm sure it is possible but it would most likely be quite a major project. Depending on how much time I have I might look into implementing the playlist control idea that I mentioned before.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2009, 12:08:10 pm »

Seen the news?

last.fm is turning into a subscription per-month model for music streaming... more on the matter -> http://lifehacker.com/5183571/lastfm-goes-paid+only-for-international-users-kills-unofficial-mobile-apps

What will be the future for this fantastic plugin?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2009, 02:53:54 pm »

Hey guys, I'm back around for a bit at the moment!

@mabes
1) I'll have a look into genre at some point but it's most likely MC's auto tagging or something
2) It does remember your password - it is encrypted before it is stored so the password box can't be refilled with characters when you re-open MC. It does remember it though and is only changed if you type a new password

@datdude
I'm sure it is possible but it would most likely be quite a major project. Depending on how much time I have I might look into implementing the playlist control idea that I mentioned before.

Davjand, since I have been using Theater View more now, this request really would not do much for me.  Somehow incorporating this into Theater View would be great however.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2009, 02:14:12 pm »

Seen the news?

last.fm is turning into a subscription per-month model for music streaming... more on the matter -> http://lifehacker.com/5183571/lastfm-goes-paid+only-for-international-users-kills-unofficial-mobile-apps

What will be the future for this fantastic plugin?

Chuck Berry said it, I'm so glad I'm living in the USA. Anything you want we got it right here in the USA.

davjand

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2009, 06:06:55 pm »

It sounds like the radio api is going to be locked down so that functionality is going to be lost. It might take a bit of work but hopefully I should be able to re-implement it with whatever new api they bring out. Obviously this will probably require a payed for account if you're not registered to the free countries (US, UK, Germany I think).

It'll be interesting to see how they lock this down as you could maybe just say you're from another country or maybe use a proxy??

Hopefully the statistics api (what the non-streaming dj uses) will remain untouched so that should work as it currently does.

I'll look into things when there is more news. Please let me know when you start experiencing problems however as I may not experience any as I'm in the UK

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2009, 02:07:56 pm »

The plugin has been working great as far as the track look up goes. 

However the plugin seems to be a bit iffy in terms if it decides to play something or nothing at all.  I think this happens when the music is stopped manually by me and then if I resume playing of a new song without restarting MC, I think the plugin gets confused, and only restarting MC gets it going again.

apeters

« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2009, 05:07:52 am »

Hello!
Realy nice Plugin. But I have one Feature request. Can you build in a Streaming Feature, so that upnp Clients can use your Plugin. I think this would be nice for everyone.

Some bugs i found (i think that thats bugs):
- if i hear music from a library server, the autodj doent do anything
- sometimes there comes a .NET Errormessage with a object reference exception. Until now, no way to reproduce it found.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2009, 03:16:10 pm »

Still enjoying those Last.fm picks!

One thing I am noticing is that the plugin picks a song even when there is a full album of music left.  Shouldn't it wait until the last song in the queue starts playing?

davjand

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2009, 06:34:45 am »

Hi all, sorry for the lack of activity, I've been reading stuff just not posting as I've not had any chance to do updates etc.

I'll have some free time soon so I may do a few updates. Over the last few months I've discovered a few reproducable bugs:
1) If you click stop/pause when a track is being streamed, when the download is finished the player will restart. Should be simple to fix.
2) An exception occurs when the data from last.fm has characters that the xml parser doesn't recognise. I think this is the main reason that exceptions occur.

@datdude, it shouldn't be doing that, are there any circumstances that you can reproduce it? Just to check, you aren't adding single tracks to the playing now as it scans the playing now for tracks left?

@apeters, I've never used it with a library server, could you please just detail your setup so I can have a play around with it.
I really don't know much about upnp, could anyone point me in the direction of what might be needed to do this?

Just to check as I've not tried it, is it fine with MC14?

Cheers guys

broncodan

• World Citizen
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2009, 01:03:24 pm »

Can this plug in retrieve the play counts and date last played from lastfm and import these into the MC library? 

It would be great if it could do this (there is a similar plug-in for itunes but i hate itunes).  This would be a great feature as there are many times I do not play songs through MC that don't get counted.

If you search on the internet you will see the itunes plug-in = the functionality is okay but there are some issues for someone with a large libary - for one it doesn't keep track of the last time it was run - so it updates all the songs each time (and for those songs in your library that are duplicates - you have to either accept a global change for all these songs - or plod through them manually if you don't want them all changed.)

A few requests/suggestions if this could be done -

add a lastfm sync column to MC library - and then each time it sync's it could check that date vs. the date last played in lastfm and this would help determine if an update is required for a particular song.

For multiple songs with same artist, name - the option to choose the song with the earliest year to get credit for the playcount - this will usually give the original version the credit if you have multiple copies of a song from compliation albums.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2009, 02:19:04 pm »

@datdude, it shouldn't be doing that, are there any circumstances that you can reproduce it? Just to check, you aren't adding single tracks to the playing now as it scans the playing now for tracks left?

No I am adding in full albums or playlists.

This really isn't that big of a deal.

The main thing I hope is improved or maybe you can help me determine if I am doing something wrong is that I constantly run into the "AutoDj is already running, cancelled new AutoDj" error.

Is anyone else running into this issue?

davjand

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2009, 07:34:13 pm »

Don't worry about that 'error' at all. It isn't actually an error, it's part of the program logic - the dj reacts to a MC event and looks to see if a new autodj is needed, if it isn't then in cancels the process of running a new one + that is shown. It's just a simple logging issue, I'll alter the phrasing and make it a higher log number so you won't see it!

Thanks for the input

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2009, 09:35:06 pm »

The problem is that when that error occurs, the DJ stops running, ie no more songs are chosen, and the music stops.  For some reason it thinks on my system that there is allready a running copy and then aborts.

davjand

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2009, 03:02:11 am »

Ah ok. Is this when streaming tracks or djing local tracks? How often does it occur. If you increase the logging level to 2 or 3 then copy the log to here or email me then I'll have a look. Thanks

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2009, 12:13:54 pm »

Its just playing local files, no streaming.  I'll send a log hopefully today.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2009, 11:55:23 pm »

ok, here u go.  I tried just copying the relevant data, let me now if you need a longer history.

davjand

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2009, 07:32:33 pm »

Hi I had a look through it the other week but couldn't find anything. If you can get a more detailed log then that would help. I've a few questions that might help me replicate it etc...

Does it always happen with a specific artists/tracks ?
What setting is the mode in (advanced tab, mode at the bottom)?
What is the value for "Run Dj when last track has % played" ? - If this is quite high then decreasing it might help.

I'm a little busy again but I hope to release a new bugfix version soonish (week or a few) - I've fixed one of the unhandled exception errors and I'm going to look into stopping it automatically playing when it selects a new track after you have stopped it. I know what it's doing, I just need to figure out how to prevent this!

Thanks again

taklamakan

• Recent member
« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2009, 09:00:36 pm »

I'm new to this plug-in and now that I've tried it there's really only one word for it: FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC!  Way to go. And source code too. You're the man.

I notice that steaming isn't working. Have you ported to the new APIs?  I'm in Canada, but I'm a last.fm subscriber and I've double-checked that I've entered me credentials correctly.

Sample logs from Radio, but similar patterns occure with StreamingDJ:

Running Authentication with Last.Fm
Getting playlist from Last.Fm
Buffering dené sled by Pick A Piper...
Error downloading file: http://kingpin6.last.fm/user/e24b5630b809f5af0fafa842e7848aeb.mp3
Radio Error, deleting task
Running Radio
Buffering Not at Home by Peter Broderick...
Error downloading file: http://kingpin6.last.fm/user/a89bfe1cea741e39223bfed5b6d3021d.mp3
Running Radio
Buffering Takk... by Sigur Rós...
Error downloading file: http://kingpin6.last.fm/user/98489fadaabdc19ca6abea69e37f18df.mp3
Running Radio
Buffering Today I was an Evil One by Bonnie 'Prince' Billy...
Error downloading file: http://kingpin6.last.fm/user/83654ce9adf58ac4c0ecad272913c760.mp3

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2009, 12:31:10 am »

Hi I had a look through it the other week but couldn't find anything. If you can get a more detailed log then that would help. I've a few questions that might help me replicate it etc...

no.  it seems to be random

all tracks for similar artists

What is the value for "Run Dj when last track has % played" ? - If this is quite high then decreasing it might help.
80%

I'm a little busy again but I hope to release a new bugfix version soonish (week or a few) - I've fixed one of the unhandled exception errors and I'm going to look into stopping it automatically playing when it selects a new track after you have stopped it. I know what it's doing, I just need to figure out how to prevent this!

Thanks again

ruze

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2009, 07:04:54 pm »

I have the same issue as user taklamakan above, no streaming at all :(

Here's a bit of my log at level 4...

Generated query: [Media Type]=[Audio] (([Name]=[Sing this song] and [Artist]=[Fantazja]) or ([Name]=[More Serotonin] and [Artist]=[Neuroactive]) or ([Name]=[In Different Things] and [Artist]=[Rename]) or ([Name]=[Digital Delays] and [Artist]=[Cosmicity]))
4 track(s) found that aren't in the current music library
Creating temp file to stream: C:\Users\john\AppData\Roaming\J River\LastFmDJ\temp\Stream1.mp3
Streaming url: http://kingpin5.last.fm/user/9376aacc2bb04ea4650f15d645aa1458.mp3
Sing this song by Fantazja
Buffering Sing this song by Fantazja...
Error downloading file: http://kingpin5.last.fm/user/9376aacc2bb04ea4650f15d645aa1458.mp3

Download Failed: http://kingpin5.last.fm/user/9376aacc2bb04ea4650f15d645aa1458.mp3
FileName: C:\Users\john\AppData\Roaming\J River\LastFmDJ\temp\Stream1.mp3

Would love to hear any feedback on this.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2009, 08:10:00 pm »

Thanks again

since i bumped it down to 70% complete i havent had any problems, so maybe that solved it.

one comment i have on the streaming is that i would use it more if there was a way to make sure it didnt stream any songs allready in my library.   doeas that make sense?

davjand

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2009, 04:41:55 am »

Hi
I don't use the streaming feature much ironically but it seems that they've finally switched off the old radio api that I've used. I'm  quite busy with website design at the moment so I'm struggling for time but I will have a stab at updating it in a few weeks.

@datdude: The plugin does attempt to remove any tracks from the streaming playlist that you already have in the library but it requires them to have the exact same artist and track names - any small differences will prevent it from working properly. When I have a look at porting it, I'll see if i can optimize the code as well.

Thanks everyone.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2009, 12:20:49 pm »

i may have found another bug.  the music stopped playing when it should not have so i checked the log and saw this:

"Searching for similar Artists to Led Zeppelin on Last.Fm
No artists to search for top tracks"

shouldn't it have used the alternate method option, which i have checked in the settings?

gshaver

• Recent member
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2009, 11:47:26 pm »

have installed your plugin attempting to play last fm radio, but not luck....keep getting error:
Initialising LastFm DJ - 1.20
Running Radio
Error downloading radio data
Download Error, the connection timed out for the maximum number of times

any advise greatly appreciated....loging is my login with last fm

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2009, 12:40:22 am »

Firewall or anti-virus problem?  What kind of network are you on?

Richee

• World Citizen
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2009, 10:34:24 pm »

I get the exact same error as gshaver and that was with my virus checker disabled in order to test. I am on cox.net but it seems I had LastFMDJ working at one point although it worked on and off. I don't have a clue why it is no longer working.

Richee

• World Citizen
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2009, 11:38:13 pm »

I forgot to mention I use AVG Internet Security with built in firewall, so by shutting down AVG I assume firewall shut down as well. The firewall for XP Home is off.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2009, 07:19:41 am »

Make sure you're logged in to Last.fm.  Try outside the program.

Sometimes Last.fm has problems.

gappie

« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2009, 07:24:34 am »

today, 19 september, last fm is doing some bigger maintainance to the server scrobling etc does not really work. see: http://status.last.fm/

:)
gab

davjand

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2009, 01:22:36 pm »

Hi all

Sorry but been very busy so I've not had time to update the plugin. The autodj aspects still work fine but the radio aspect needs tweaking/possible rewrite to adapt to the new Streaming API that has been released. At the moment, the radio function doesn't work even if you are a last.fm subscriber (tell me if it does).

I'm unlikely to have any time soon to update this but I have released the sourcecode if anyone does want to have a go- the functions that need rewriting are within the LastFmRadio class and are the request builders and xml parser functions.

Basically, turn off the radio features and the rest of the plugin will still function. Untill the plugin is updated then this won't work. If I get time, I will have a brief look at it this weekend but it is going to take me a while to learn the new api and adapt the plugin for that.

With regards to current bugs in the plugin, there are a few bugs that appear when downloading data for certain artists/albums. I do know how to fix these but again, time is the issue!

@datdude, thanks for the input, I'll look into it if I find the time.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2010, 05:58:49 pm »

Is anyone else not able to connect to the last.fm service using this plugin? 

I have internet access and can use last.fm from my browser, but this plugin will no longer find similar artists/tracks or play the radio function.

craft

« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2010, 11:04:50 pm »

null

Systex

« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2010, 02:58:57 pm »

I know this thread is old, but I really like this plugin when it works. Here's the problem:

I'm using the Auto DJ feature to add a similar track once the current playing track is 1% done. Every once in a while (every 5-10 songs?), when the script is running I get a .NET unhandled exception saying that "Value was either too large or too small for a Decimal". Here's the details of the error

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for a Decimal.
   at System.Decimal.FCallMultiply(Decimal& result, Decimal d1, Decimal d2)
   at MC_Plugin_LastFmDJ.MediaHelper.weightRecentArtists(List`1 listTracks, Int32 PrevArtistCountToCheck)
   at MC_Plugin_LastFmDJ.LastFmAutoDj.processRawTracks()
   at MC_Plugin_LastFmDJ.LastFmAutoDj.processData(Int32 calledDownloadType)
   at MC_Plugin_LastFmDJ.LastFmAutoDj.runDJ(DJACTION action)
   at MC_Plugin_LastFmDJ.LastFmAutoDj.processTask(Int32 taskId)
   at MC_Plugin_LastFmDJ.LastFmAutoDj.process()
   at MC_Plugin_LastFmDJ.MainInterface.LoopTimerTick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Please help! This plugin is fantastic, but it throws this exception just often enough for me to want to pull my hair out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up