INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ8 to MJ12- will it or won't it  (Read 1589 times)

richkl

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
MJ8 to MJ12- will it or won't it
« on: July 30, 2008, 09:32:53 am »

The posts about installing MJ12 when MJ8 is already present have left me wondering what are the consequences of doing this.  A couple of members have had trouble and the replies are confusing. 

If I install MJ12 will the MJ8 media library be left intact and can it be used with MJ12?  What will need importing- the music or the library? 

Would I have to do more than pointing MJ12 at my music folder?  Then Import the whole several GB of music and the latest MJ8 library into MJ12?

Does anyone have a clear explanation of what will happen and what will need to be done?

I realize this may be simple to some people but I have too much music arranged the way I like it (artist/album data, etc.) in MJ8 to subject it to an unknown and possibly disruptive process.  I certainly don't  want to have to completely rebuild my library.

Thanks,
Richard

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MJ8 to MJ12- will it or won't it
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 11:17:45 am »

You would not need to import files. A library restore can do that automatically.

1. Save a library backup file in MJ8 (It has a menu option for this).
2. Uninstall MJ8 (using the program uninstaller, don't let it delete the data folder - it may contain cover art images.)
3. Install MJ12.
4. Restore the MJ8 library backup file in MJ12.

You can check the program help file if you need instructions for creating and restoring a library backup file.

You may also want to consider upgrading to Media Center 12. In my opinion, it is the ultimate upgrade for older MJ or MC versions. MJ12 is nice, but it is somewhat limited.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up