INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADDiCT: Lyrics Issue  (Read 2089 times)

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
ADDiCT: Lyrics Issue
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:15:21 am »

Bug while editing lyrics: i want identical lyrics for two tracks. I edit the lyrics for one track, hit CTRL-A, CTRL-C and paste the entry into the lyrics field of the new track with CTRL-V. Now, i select both tracks, and the lyrics field shows "[Varies]", even though the content of the fields is identical. This used to work some versions ago, where the field would show the actual content of the lyrics field for several selected tracks (when the content was identical, of course). I've also tried editing the lyrics in a text editor, then selecting both tracks, and pasting the lyrics. After that, they still show up as "[Varies]".

But what's even worse: MC will add additional, unwanted linebreaks (empty line) to lyrics copied from the lyrics field to the clipboard! The lyrics show up fine in MC, but after copying the text to the clipboard, and pasting it to a text editor, there is one additional empty line after each line of text. See end of post for example.

EDIT: this is a really serious and annoying bug, as adding and editing lyrics involves a lot of manual labour. I've tried editing lyrics with an external tagger (Mp3tag), and MC will "destroy" the lyrics once it writes its own tags. This could mean that, for an unknown number of builds, MC was silently altering the contents of the lyrics tag in each file it has updated. The "destroyed" lyrics will be quite hard, if not impossible, to fix automatically, too - how can MC determine if a linebreak is intentional, or if it has been added in error?

EDIT 2: a hex editor shows that with lyrics pasted into Mp3tag, a single line of text terminates with a sequence of hex "0D 0A" (CR LF). After using the "Update Tags" function in MC, the same line of text is terminated with a sequence of hex "0D 0D 0D 0D 0A" (CR CR CR CR LF). That's a few CR's too many, i think.

Another problem: MC hangs quite often. Happened to me a lot while playing, and tagging files (not the ones currently playing). Also happened while trying to select a value from a long list of keywords by typing the first letter(s). MC just hangs - playback stops, no screen refresh, showing "not responding" in task manager. After forcing MC to close, the last tag changes are gone, which is _very_ annoying (there seems to be no real logic as to which changes are saved in the library, and which are lost).

Example of "additional linebreaks in lyrics":

This is the original text, from a text editor:
Code: [Select]
(Ba ba ba)
(Ba ba ba)
(Ba ba ba)

Take a message, let me know
Put on her shoes before she goes
Hazel eyes and auburn hair
How could she tell it's all for nothing?

Far away from what you want
Another night to spend alone
And now you really know
It's gone, it's gone, it's gone

You know it was a good thing
The best thing
Last thing you should have left behind
Out of nowhere
Out there
Looking all the way back
It's a good thing
The best thing
Out of nowhere
Out there
It's gone, it's gone, it's gone, it's gone, it's gone
http://www.free-lyrics.org

A small cafe across the street
I heard you meet there every week
Got your favourite necklace on
How could you tell it's all for nothing?

Pack your bags and move along
Before your feelings get too strong
'Cos I can tell you now

[chorus]

[spoken]
He looked away, pretending not to see her
She tried to say something, but nothing came out right
He's lost the best thing
One day it'll hit him
One day...

It's gone, it's gone, it's gone, it's gone...

[chorus to fade]
http://www.free-lyrics.org/Saint-Etienne/237139-A-Good-Thing.html

This text pasted into the lyrics field in MC, copied from there, and pasted into a new text document looks like this:
Code: [Select]
(Ba ba ba)

(Ba ba ba)

(Ba ba ba)

Take a message, let me know

Put on her shoes before she goes

Hazel eyes and auburn hair

How could she tell it's all for nothing?

Far away from what you want

Another night to spend alone

And now you really know

You know it was a good thing

The best thing

Out of nowhere

Out there

Looking all the way back

It's a good thing

The best thing

Out of nowhere

Out there

It's gone, it's gone, it's gone, it's gone, it's gone

http://www.free-lyrics.org

A small cafe across the street

I heard you meet there every week

Got your favourite necklace on

How could you tell it's all for nothing?

Pack your bags and move along

Before your feelings get too strong

'Cos I can tell you now

[chorus]

[spoken]

He looked away, pretending not to see her

She tried to say something, but nothing came out right

He's lost the best thing

One day it'll hit him

One day...

It's gone, it's gone, it's gone, it's gone...

[chorus to fade]

http://www.free-lyrics.org/Saint-Etienne/237139-A-Good-Thing.html

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: ADDiCT: Lyrics Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:32:52 pm »

This will be in a build available sometime in the next few days:
Fixed: Multi-line edit controls could insert extra carriage-return characters.

Sorry for the hassle.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 12:55:01 am »

Matt, thank you for the info! Do you think it will be possible to fix the "broken" lyrics tags by re-writing them with MC?

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 04:30:22 am »

ADDiCT, does this only happen when you edit the lyrics field, or has it happened with other files as well?

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 05:47:52 am »

darichman, i'm not 100% sure about that. To be frank, i don't want to tamper with any lyrics until this has been fixed, in order to avoid any additional troubles. I'm a bit afraid about having to go manually through all lyrics, deleting superfluous line breaks.

My guess is that it happens everytime MC writes tags - no matter which of these tags have actually been changed. One additional thing i've tested was to look at a mp3 file with mp3tag, which showed the lyrics in a "normal" state. Then i located the track in MC, and just clicked into the lyrics field, without actually changing anything. After one more click somewhere else (leaving the lyrics input field), MC said "writing tags", and subsequently added the additional CR characters to the lyrics field (i've verified this with mp3tag).

I'm still hoping for an "automatic" fix, and i think it should be possible to fix the fields automatically, because MC does actually display the lyrics allright (leaving intentional linebreaks and empty lines intact) after all. Another tagger, MP3 Book Helper, does display the tags allright, too. There seems to be a way to simply "ignore" the additional characters.

What's kinda interesting is that the problem seems to only manifest itself in lyrics fields, not in other text-based fields. I have a number of user-defined text fields, and these seem to be stored allright.

Btw, i don't know if this is related in any way, but MC writes tags in "ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1" format, i think (i have no idea if this has changed in recent versions). In a hex editor, the ASCII of this kind of tag looks like "normal" text. I have a number of tracks where every character in the lyrics text is "spaced" by an additional hex 00 character, though. This is what unicode text looks like, AFAIK. These additional characters are in the lyrics segment of the tag only (other segments, for example "album" or "artist" don't have the additional 00 characters), and are present even though MC has updated the tag.
Pages: [1]   Go Up