INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MPL Issues  (Read 1529 times)

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MPL Issues
« on: August 01, 2008, 08:46:39 am »

I've been experimenting a lot with MPL files in the last few days (mainly as a means of importing data as described in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47538.0)

Basically, I've got an MPL file containing values for various fields, with the filepaths/names matching those in MC (ie files are already in the MC database).
To import the data, I open MC and go to File > Import Playlist > Navigate to the MPL file.

This works fine... the data is imported perfectly. The problem occurs when you wish to import another MPL file containing data for the same files.

When I try to import a second MPL (ie with updated field information or with new fields), MC ignores the changes completely. I can understand it might be design to not overwrite existing values, but it's not even adding values for empty fields, or populating values for new fields...

This is really problematic!! To the MPL users... am I doing something wrong here?
How can I get MC to *forget* it's imported data previously and just go with the new data.

Note also that I'm dealing with video files, so there's no physical tag which might confuse the issue.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MPL Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:35:33 am »

I just tried updating data with two separate mpl files. It worked for me.

I exported two identical mpl files. I opened the first mpl file with Notepad and changed some field values. I imported the file and the library changed accordingly. Then I imported the second, unedited mpl file and it returned the original values.

To the MPL users... am I doing something wrong here?

It's impossible to answer because you didn't provide exact instructions for reproducing the problem. Please create two small test mpl files (one video file in each or so) and post the files and step-by-step instructions.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

rick.ca

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 10:37:19 am »

How can I get MC to *forget* it's imported data previously and just go with the new data.

For what it's worth, I don't think MC "remembers" what it has imported (on a field level, anyway). In testing your PVD export templates, I repeated updated to the same files, and never experienced this problem. Furthermore, the transfer of data from PVD requires two files, which I routinely imported together—without difficulty.

Perhaps you should verify (with a text editor, say) the second MPL file has been written with the correct filenames.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:26:54 pm »

Okay, it's definitely something on my end then... thanks for the replies :)

*Goes back to fiddling*

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:05:05 am »

Darichman, did you find out the reason why files were not updated? I have the same problem and I remember it used to work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up