INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC not recognizing CDs  (Read 5310 times)

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
MC not recognizing CDs
« on: August 11, 2008, 01:41:16 pm »

I have the issue that some CDs don't get recognized by MC while they are recognized and ripped w/out problem in MS Media Player.

The titles I experience the issue with are following:
- Led Zeppelin: Nameless
- Massive Attack: Protection
- Portishead: Dummy
- Prince: various 5-inch and 3-inch CD singles

I have done following:
- Set default program settings in Vista to open/rip with MC but always ask first
- In MC I have disabled "Auto Rip Mode" and "Automatic CD lookup" options

When I load any of the above CDs, and even choose to "Take No Action", MC still wants to lookup something, giving a message "Please Wait - Working..." Then nothing happens, and the only way to get out of this without restarting MC is to open the CD-Drive prior to Vista indicating "the Program is Not Responding" message.

It was suggested that it may be related to YADB database not recognizing the CD, and somehow creating the issue, but I did have one CD that ws indeed not recognized, but it loaded normally.

----------------
Media Center 12.0.529 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows Vista 6.0 Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
AMD Unknown 2509 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2094 MB, Free - 984 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.6001.18000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.6001 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.6001 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.6001 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H653L  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F: SATA-DVDDROM6316          Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No

Burning /  Drive E: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H653L   Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC not recognizing CDs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 01:44:23 pm »

- In MC I have disabled "Auto Rip Mode" and "Automatic CD lookup" options

When I load any of the above CDs, and even choose to "Take No Action", MC still wants to lookup something, giving a message "Please Wait - Working..." Then nothing happens, and the only way to get out of this without restarting MC is to open the CD-Drive prior to Vista indicating "the Program is Not Responding" message.
Vista may be blocking MC with a firewall.

MC can also get cover art.  If you don't want it to, you can disable it in the options.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 02:07:10 pm »

I don't think it is YADB happening here, it shouldn't cause MC to stop responding. If you'd make a sniff (see the directions in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47758.msg327337#msg327337
) and send it to me, I'll take a look to see what's happening with the YADB connection.

I've added some logging to YADB to make this easier, but it won't be available for a while (MC13)

j

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 04:02:41 pm »

What about this one:
1. I tried to load disc 1 of Pink Floyd's The wall: it is not recognized, not available under Drives & Devices (just keeps on "working") and I need to open the CD player to avoid having to restart MC.
2. then I load disc 2 of The Wall: it get's loaded without any problem (....), although MC indicates it does not "know" it (no album, tracks are listed)
3. I then Edit album, titles etc under Drives & Devices and am able to launch Rip
4. When ripping is finished, I get message "CD Submission Failed. Failed to connect to the YADB server"

Could YADB and Vista be somehow having a conflict?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 04:47:19 pm »

I think Jim's right: it's a firewall issue. Pink Floyd "The Wall" should be in YADB. You should not be getting a "Failed to connect" message.

Is the computer connected to the Internet?

Is Vista's firewall on?

j

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 10:23:48 pm »

Firewall.  There are so many Floyd Heads around here it's not funny.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 02:59:15 pm »

I do not run Vista's firewall; I have Norton 360.
I have disabled the firewall, and then the issue remains...

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 03:53:05 pm »

Some additional details:
- I have also set MC Options/CD&DVD/AutoPlay to "Let Windows Handle"
- I have set Window (Vista) to do nothing
- When I load CD, indeed, MC does 'nothing'
-  The moment I select "Drives & Devices/Audio CD", MC is starts 'working' (as described in my initial post), and MC needs to be restarted
- Massive Attack's Protection however still loads without any issue in MS Media Player...

One of the key features I like of MC is to rip in Flac and then sync with iPod... But if I can't rip my CDs, this feature becomes dfficult to use....

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 04:16:21 pm »

Turn on logging and then:

Cause a hang and wait for the "Program not responding" message.
Kill Media Center.
Start Media Center.

Go into logging and e-mail me the logs (gateley @ jriver.com)

j

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 03:14:27 am »

just in case...
The logging options are on the "Help" menu on the top toolbar.

-marko.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 01:12:17 pm »

So far no resolution... The issue prevails: some CDs keep making MC hang (i.e. Earth, Wind & Fire's Open Your Eyes) once loaded in CD player.

Perhaps useful info: for the CDs that do get loaded normally, I never get the artist/CD info straight away. I always need to have this info looked up in the online database, but then it usually find the details...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 03:09:01 pm »

We don't believe this is a program issue and don't expect to pursue it.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 01:47:18 am »

We don't believe this is a program issue and don't expect to pursue it.

I recognize that this thread does not receive many posts from others, but if the statement is that "this is not a program issue", then I don't understand the following: any of the CDs that freeze MC load without any issue in iTunes or MS MediaPlayer?

rjm

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 01:56:14 am »

Some additional details:
- I have also set MC Options/CD&DVD/AutoPlay to "Let Windows Handle"
- I have set Window (Vista) to do nothing
- When I load CD, indeed, MC does 'nothing'
-  The moment I select "Drives & Devices/Audio CD", MC is starts 'working' (as described in my initial post), and MC needs to be restarted
- Massive Attack's Protection however still loads without any issue in MS Media Player...

One of the key features I like of MC is to rip in Flac and then sync with iPod... But if I can't rip my CDs, this feature becomes dfficult to use....

This sounds like an optical disc or drive problem to me.

Try this. Exit MC and load the disc in your drive. Wait for Windows to recognize it, then try to navigate the disc with Windows Explorer. If this works, I'll bet you that if you then start MC everything will be ok. If it does not work, then it suggests a problem with the disc or drive or some other software that is blocking access to the drive.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 02:24:29 am »

just in case...
The logging options are on the "Help" menu on the top toolbar.

-marko.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 03:25:12 am »

Try this. Exit MC and load the disc in your drive. Wait for Windows to recognize it, then try to navigate the disc with Windows Explorer. If this works, I'll bet you that if you then start MC everything will be ok. If it does not work, then it suggests a problem with the disc or drive or some other software that is blocking access to the drive.

1. I can navigate to the disc through Windows Explorer when MC is NOT yet running
2. The moment I launch MC, the same issue remains: MC starts "working", without loading disc
3. If I try navigate the disc through Windows Explorer when MC is ALREADY running, then this is not possible: Windows Explorer also ends up "not responding"
4. If I do the same two tests with iTunes and MediaPlayer, no issues at all...

It seems indeed that there is a conflict between MC and access to the drive. I'm at a loss....

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 04:00:30 am »

Maybe MC is trying to read a part of the CD that ITunes/WMP doesn't, maybe CDText or something similar.
Have you tried MC on another machine with the same disks?

rjm

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 01:49:18 pm »

1. I can navigate to the disc through Windows Explorer when MC is NOT yet running
2. The moment I launch MC, the same issue remains: MC starts "working", without loading disc
3. If I try navigate the disc through Windows Explorer when MC is ALREADY running, then this is not possible: Windows Explorer also ends up "not responding"
4. If I do the same two tests with iTunes and MediaPlayer, no issues at all...

It seems indeed that there is a conflict between MC and access to the drive. I'm at a loss....

I do not understand what is going on. Mr. ChriZ may be right that MC is trying to do something unique with your cd.

Suggest you go into Options/CD & DVD/ and disable all options. This may help you to isolate the problem.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 04:57:29 am »

Suggest you go into Options/CD & DVD/ and disable all options. This may help you to isolate the problem.

I have tried this one: same issue.

I have not yet run tests on different machine, but that allternative would be running XP rather then Vista, and another CD-drive, so I don't think that would be comparable....

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 08:49:52 am »

Turn on logging and then:

Cause a hang and wait for the "Program not responding" message.
Kill Media Center.
Start Media Center.

j

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 01:50:19 am »

Hi Marko - did you receive the log files? I send them a while ago too, when you asked them earlier. Just want to ensure you have received them correctly...

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 03:17:16 am »

You didn't mention that you'd sent them, so I quoted reminders in case you'd missed John's request.
I'm just an enthusiastic customer, I don't work for JRiver, if you sent the logs to the quoted address, then John Gately should have received them, not me.

John, you there?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 07:34:10 am »

You could e-mail the log again to jimh at jriver, but I don't think this is an MC issue.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 01:59:51 am »

You could e-mail the log again to jimh at jriver, but I don't think this is an MC issue.

I have found a partial solution...

I have discovered that the issue only exists with my RW drive on E: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H653L ATA Device.
When loading a CD from my DVD reader drive on F: then no issue - all works well. This drive is a SATA-DVD DROM6316 ATA Device.

Again: with iTunes and MS MP I have no issue at all with either drives, but MC has some sort of conflict with my Writer drive on E:....

Are there known conflicts between MC and the DVD writer mentioned above from Toshiba (I believe)?

Screwbottle

• Recent member
  • No Drugs here. I get high on life
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 03:31:37 am »

Hi BJurry

I have read all of the replies here. I think possibly you might have what I had some time back. I have similiar models of the DVD drive your mention. I have the TSSTcorp SH-S183L's. Firstly, correct they are a joint venture manufacture between Toshiba and Samsung, hence the TSST in the name. I don't think these are your real problem as they are very good products. I experienced something of your problem a while back. Some things I found to fix my problems, firstly some of the purchased music CD's I own had this notorius root kit installers on them (read the fiasco a couple of years ago with Sony and some of it's media). When you run them in a PC drive it will silently install a program, commonly as a rootkit, onto your system. Very buggy and caused me headaches with my drives and MC. Also I found I had, from my game side, the Starforce protection on my drive, again installed via a game I owned. This added to my problems. It took me a while, and a lot of research, but I found tools on the internet to firstly identify these unauthorised installed programs, and with quite a bit of difficulty, remove them. Now all is returned back to normal. I started with a product called Protection Id ver 0.6 beta (only this version to use, as the earlier versions flag most known Antivirus programs). This program will help you identify what is on your music CD's (and game CD's and DVD's for that matter), and what is on your HDD. I then went to Sony's web site to download their uninstaller, which worked for my "rootkit", and then I used my antivirus program to scan for and remove any other "rootkits" and remnants.

I haven't got too technical here as I am not sure of your competency level, as this can be intense and very time consuming and frustratingto get rid of "rubbish like this". I am trying to remember a number of other programs I found and used to get rid of this on my drives, but I will respond as soon as I have some more info. I hope this helps you to start off with finding what your real problem is, and eradicate it.

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up