INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New user needs help with clipping  (Read 1881 times)

MBlue72

• Recent member
New user needs help with clipping
« on: August 15, 2008, 08:59:41 pm »

Hello:

I am new to Media Center and am evaluating MC vs. dBpoweramp and others. I must be making some simple mistake. I am ripping several CDs to my hard drive using FLAC. It sounds great, but at the beginning and especially at the end of every track, I am getting "clipping" -- that is, I am losing about 1/2 second of sound. These are classical music CDs and the effect is going from the end of one movement right to the beginning of the next with no pause. Worse, I lose a split second of sound. It is very noticeable.

I have a Vista Home Premium (64-bit) machine with plenty of RAM. I downloaded MC today (version 12.0.529). I have a Squeezebox 3 for which I am considering ripping all my classical CDs. Thus I am editing the Artist and Album tags to accommodate the organization I'll find most useful for the Squeezebox. I am doing the editing just before I rip the CD.

Can any of you make any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Dave

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: New user needs help with clipping
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 09:08:01 pm »

Go to Options >> Playback
Turn off "Do not play silence (leading and trailing)
Turn on "Use gapless for sequential album tracks"
Set "Switch tracks" to Gapless

That should get things working better for classical music.
Trimming the silence (leading and trailing) is bad for classical music since the silence between tracks in classical music is often there for a reason.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:20:44 pm »

Check your playback options in MC.  You may have crossfading on.  Also check the setting for removing silence.

MBlue72

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 09:43:17 pm »

Jim and Fro:

Thanks a lot for your quick help. I'm in business.

Thanks again,

Dave

skowarsky

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 02:32:04 pm »

Classical Music MC newbie here.  I have followed the advice in this thread.  The result is "close, but no cigar" -- still a bit of clipping at the beginning of each new movement, caused by the fact that MC12 stops outputting the audio stream long enough to cause my receiver to have to resync the digital link when it starts again.  I can see this happening on the receiver display.  Here are the facts:
1.  I am working with single files for the album of type: .wv
2.  Playback options:  Do not play silience - off, Use gapless for sequential album tracks - on, Switch tracks - Gapless, Seek - Gapless. 

Is there anything else anyone can think of?  Seems especially annoying since I am using one file.  Is it necessary to restart MC12 for option changes to take effect?  If I understand this, simply having "Do Not Play Silence - off should do it with one file, and that is how it was before.  The other settings seemed to help a little, but not enough.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 05:03:58 pm »

I don't know the answer, but maybe the Wiki would help:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Cue_Files
Pages: [1]   Go Up