INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View Schemes VS. Smartlists  (Read 1729 times)

rogueblue

• World Citizen
View Schemes VS. Smartlists
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:48:12 am »

I'm a little unsure when to use(create) View Schemes and when to use Smartlists...
Can someone please tell me when & why one would be prefered over the other? Any advantages and disadvantages in both directions?

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
Re: View Schemes VS. Smartlists
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 11:37:08 am »

I would say that view schemes can do everything a smartlist can do (they have the same options for slicing and dicing your media collection) but also can a) be customized in terms of how the media is displayed – thumbnails, panes, etc and b) be shown in theatre view.  I use them both, normally having smartlists doing some of the grunt work of sorting and sub-sorting media, but mostly in the background (I rarely play tunes directly from a smartlist); on the other hand I do almost all of my navigation through my collection with a few view schemes. 

Was that any help? 

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:51:54 am »

I would say that view schemes can do everything a smartlist can do (they have the same options for slicing and dicing your media collection) but also can a) be customized in terms of how the media is displayed – thumbnails, panes, etc and b) be shown in theatre view.  I use them both, normally having smartlists doing some of the grunt work of sorting and sub-sorting media, but mostly in the background (I rarely play tunes directly from a smartlist); on the other hand I do almost all of my navigation through my collection with a few view schemes. 

Was that any help? 

Thanks Peter... yes it does.

But I'm wondering then ... is there any real reason to bother with smartlists at all?
Or do they have any advantage over View Schemes?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 11:57:29 am »

Thanks Peter... yes it does.

But I'm wondering then ... is there any real reason to bother with smartlists at all?

It's a simplicity thing.  A view scheme is a superset of a smartlist, but it's more complicated to use.

A smartlist can be synced to a device, which may also matter.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 01:34:11 pm »

I must say that I mostly use smartlists, and that I'm still largely ignorant about viewschemes. I kind of get it, but still have more to read/learn and implement.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 01:50:44 pm »

\
A smartlist can be synced to a device, which may also matter.

Good point. 

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 03:33:13 pm »

Cool! Thanks all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up