INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 in a mixed platform environment?  (Read 1502 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC12 in a mixed platform environment?
« on: August 19, 2008, 01:14:25 pm »

As it stands today, my main PC is Vista machine.  My wife uses a MacBook (Air).  I have most all of my music in MC12 and would like to keep it that way (since no other program is nearly on par for managing the library).  The issue is that she needs to use iTunes on the MacBook for her iPod and iPhone.  Given the small HD on her MacBook we decided to store the music files on a networked drive (this compounds the issue).  I got a 500GB Time Capsule to make keeping the laptop backed up an automated and invisible (to her) process and am using this as the storage device for the music files as well.

Currently I am using MC 12 to sync to the folder on the Time Capsule as a 'portable' device.  This helps get my APE files over to the share as MP3's but this doesn't help keeping things up in the iTunes library.  There are some AppleScripts that would resolve this gap if the music were local to her machine, but nothing that I have seen that will work with the files on a network share like this.  Things would also be easier if I let iTunes 'consolidate' (rename files and restructure directories as it sees fit), but this would likely cause things to be different than the way MC is trying to create/maintain them on the 'portable' device.

Does anyone have a work flow to accommodate this?  It doesn't have to be automatic, but it should be manageable.  As of now, the only 100% reliable option that I have is to periodically wipe out her library and start it from scratch.  This wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take almost a full day to do this given the size of the library and the amount of time it takes to rebuild on the MacBook.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC12 in a mixed platform environment?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 03:49:15 pm »

One nice thing is that apparently iTunes Mac is not as eager to double up files like iTunes Windows seems to be.  Just re-added the entire music folder to iTunes on the Mac and it only re-added the truly 'new' files.  Then I just had to clean up the duplicates from the files that were both on the HD (from local download) vs. the central library copy.

Pretty sure when I tried the same thing in Windows, iTunes doubled up many of the files in the library.

So unless someone has a better idea my workflow will be to use MC12 to update the network device as a 'portable' device, and then just periodically re-add the entire folder to iTunes on the Mac.

dandiodati

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: MC12 in a mixed platform environment?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 02:45:01 am »

I've been also trying to run in a mixed environment too, but I am trying to use mc for both photos and music.

I have an windows xp box running mc as the main server. Then I have a client mc running from parallels (windows xp) within my mac book pro.
It kind of works but tends to be too slow in response time(can take a minute or two to open a photo).  So not sure how to make it faster.

Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up