INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there such a thing as a quiet pc these days?  (Read 2222 times)

nivw

Is there such a thing as a quiet pc these days?
« on: July 28, 2002, 12:32:15 pm »

I did all I could.
Enermax 350W PS temp controled fans.
Round cables.
P4 not OC.
Big SX1030 case.
One rear fan by antec.
I am currenly thinking of ditching my 40GB quantom fireball and getting the new Maxtor 80GB FDB.
I may as well replace the PS fans with Panflo fans.

Any other suggestions in orther to keep down that ham?

Niv

John G.

RE:Is there such a thing as a quiet pc these days?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2002, 08:15:33 pm »

Yeah, water cooling.

Swordsman74

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2002, 08:26:10 pm »

John's right - water cooling isn't the bleeding-edge underground hackers thing anymore...  You can even order cases with the water cooling units already installed.  heck - Hitachi is even releasing a water cooled laptop pretty soon.
Better designs mean exremely low risk for leaks.  Check out Tom's Hardware and ArsTechnica for good details - there are cooling-related forums on both sites with really good info from the actually guys who build and use these things every day.

Fred

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2002, 08:37:07 pm »

Good choice: the Seagate Barracuda IV drives ARE incredibly quiet, I love them.

If you don't want to go the watercooling route, get a big heatsink.  I anted up for this:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnps3100GP.htm

and was pretty happy.  The loudest part of my system is the Antec power supply (TruePower True330), which is a lot quieter than some others, but probably maybe not the quietest available...

-Fred

BigMike

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2002, 09:57:56 pm »

Earplugs.

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2002, 02:34:32 am »

Well I was thinking of picking up some passive heatsinks for my radeons and I spotted the Iceberg 1 kit... http://exoticpc.com/ -> Heatsinks -> 423 | 478... Its a pre order for the end of the month but I am game....

Over on AVS there has been quite a bit of disussion about sound deadening materials like dynamat and some fleece stuff also that works well on the case... Some people line the inside with carpet but that sounds like a fire risk to me...

Really with a Eneramax whisper PS and my current Zalman processor fan it only the GFX card thats noisy... If I get a second heat exchanger for the GFX card that Iceberg kit should make my PC inaudiable..
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2002, 04:29:25 am »

You Could Build A Detached Building, Put The PC In There, Run Extended Mouse And Keyboard Wires To The Main Part Of The Home.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2002, 05:00:53 am »

My sarcasm filter is ringing but you will probablynot be surprised to learn that some folks have actually done this (well not build an outhouse but remove the PC from the listening room) the issue used to be the DVD drive access... However now since firwire DVD drives have become available this is a solution...

Other mad schemes have involved PC hushboxes and other finge stuff...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

gateley

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 05:56:41 am »

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2002, 06:11:42 am »

I don't have a problem with noise, since I have 1\2 my hearing left. That’s from The Nice Artillery, And Turbine Engines From The Helicopters I Worked With.

But If The Computer Is Making That Much Noise, Maybe It Just Needs Cleaned, Or New Fans.

I Like To Take The Aproch, By Cooling The Room Down With An A\C Not Only The Computer Keeps Cool But I Do Also. (I Have A Window AC Just For My Computer Room To Keep Me And My Beer Cooler, I Mean Computer)
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

cepler

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2002, 06:26:52 am »

I know how you feel, my machine's a screamer, literally.  Got 3 fans in front, 1 above the power supply, 2 on the sides of the drive cage, 2 on the side pointing at CPU/chipsets, then the chipset fan, then the video card fan and another freefloating fan for some other drives I have installed...All together they make quite a ruckas.

Check out this review of a complete water cooling system.  I've seen others and this one is QUITE nice, very professionally constructed with very nice machined parts, not at ALL homebrew looking.  They even have drive coolers as well (3.5->5.25 adapters for water cooling)

It'll set you back a pretty penny, but it's nice to look at :)

URL:

http://www17.tomshardware.com/howto/02q3/020701/index.html

Shawn Rebelo

• World Citizen
  • Web, Multimedia Developer, Graphic Designer, ProgrammerFood, Music, Art
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2002, 09:32:47 am »

Yeah, my machine loudness has gone up a cple notches. My machine has 2 fans on the side, one on top and one on the back. THat is the case alone. Not including the 2 fans my power supply uses then the 2 on my motherboard.

Got my case here. They also have cooling supplies.

http://xoxide.com/

My case:

I also slapped a HD cooler on it. Myself, I am more concenred about my comp staying cool, than quiet at the moment. I myself am also skeptical of the water cooling.
Shawn Rebelo
JRiver, Inc
Sr. Web Master

nivw

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2002, 01:05:39 pm »

Thanks to all how addressed the issue,
One more word on hard-drives, I currently use a 40G quantum fireball.
I live in Israel which is VERY hot place to be right now.
The Weather

As of this noon I found out that using my current cooling (two temp. controllered fans in my Enermax PS, and one rear fan, big case and round cables) is not sufficient for my hard disk. It just stopped working unless I added a second rear papst fan.

My new disk features Fluid Dynamic Bearing Motors which is similar to the Barracuda IV bearing.

I was considering water cooling for a time and have also thought of that 1Kg heatsink, trouble is that my main source of noise is the PS fans. I gather that the liquid cooling won't involve opening the PS, right?

Can anyone suggest quieter power supplies? maybe with water cooling, (If I won't find a better answer I may just open my PS and attach a water block to its switching transistors)

If only there was a device that sends DVI across RF.... I mean a device that takes the LCD digital input (which is DVI) and sends it from the pc with a wireless link. Then I will just need to:
1. Sell my 19" CRT and get an LCD
2. purchase this wonderful device
3. replace my graphic card to one that has DVI
4. move my pc away.
5. Live for the rest of the year off rise as I become broke.

Niv
Pages: [1]   Go Up