INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Somewhat OT - iPhone Apps or Gamess You Love?  (Read 2269 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Somewhat OT - iPhone Apps or Gamess You Love?
« on: August 23, 2008, 03:25:11 pm »

I love:

Dizzy Bee (Game) (App Store Link) - TouchArcade Review

Frotz (Oldschool Game) (App Store Link) - TouchArcade Review: Zork on the iPhone can't be beat.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
Re: Somewhat OT - iPhone Apps or Gamess You Love?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 04:21:46 pm »

Not big on games.
Apps I'm liking are:
Pocket Express (news headlines and articles)
Weatherbug  (has radar and live webcams, better features than the stock yahoo weather app)
iFlixebay
last.fm   (disappointed the scrobbling was removed in the 2.0 version)
BoxOffice (trying this one out for movie showtimes.  States that it supports ticket purchase but every theater near me always shows no online purchases, even though I've done it on other websites in the past)
Simplify    (allows access to your music folders remotely and streams over wifi to the ipod.  Found that it doesn't support flac, so not so good for me.  Good news is it doesn't require itunes, just point it to a folder of mp3 files).  Get it quick, it's free at the moment but will start costing money after a certain number of downloads is reached.

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 06:25:32 pm »

Not big on games.
Apps I'm liking are:
Pocket Express (news headlines and articles)
Weatherbug  (has radar and live webcams, better features than the stock yahoo weather app)
iFlixebay
last.fm   (disappointed the scrobbling was removed in the 2.0 version)
BoxOffice (trying this one out for movie showtimes.  States that it supports ticket purchase but every theater near me always shows no online purchases, even though I've done it on other websites in the past)
Simplify    (allows access to your music folders remotely and streams over wifi to the ipod.  Found that it doesn't support flac, so not so good for me.  Good news is it doesn't require itunes, just point it to a folder of mp3 files).  Get it quick, it's free at the moment but will start costing money after a certain number of downloads is reached.

Hi, thanks for the tips, I've just purchased myself an iPod Touch and love it. However, I was wondering if I could avoid signing up to the iTunes store and still download apps/games? It seems that to install Simplify, I have to sign up and login to the iTunes store...

Is there anywhere else I can find it online where I can download it directly before installing it to the iPod Touch?

Thanks,
Kwake

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:33:36 pm »

Is there anywhere else I can find it online where I can download it directly before installing it to the iPod Touch?

Nope.  The App Store is a "Walled Garden".  To install and use officially sanctioned Applications on your iPhone/Touch (in other words, without jailbreaking the device), you must use iTunes and use an iTunes Store account, even for the free applications.

Thought I'd mention some stuff... My initial post was just random thoughts, since I had recently purchased those games.  However, there are some great non-game apps out there which are definitely worth a whirl or at least a look.

Simplify is certainly one, though I still wish JRiver would build something better that would act as both a "Remote Control" app for a computer using MC, and a "Simplify" type application that could stream media into the device.  Either way, that is a cool app.

EverNote has quickly become indispensable for me.  It is a notepad, which accepts photos, audio recordings, or text notes, and then uploads them to the EverNote website where you can access them via their clients for Windows, OSX, iPhone/Touch, or just via their nice web UI from anywhere.  So it is like a "scratch pad" that you can then have access to anywhere.  It does some amazing things like automatically OCR on photos you take (so text in the photo becomes searchable).  Free.  Awesome.  Get it now.

FlashLight.  It is stupid, but it is free and it is amazing how well it really works.  I actually end up using it all the time anymore.  My only complaint is that it'd be better if it automatically set the Brightness setting on the phone up to Max while the app was active and then cranked it back down to where you had it before when you exit.  Perhaps in a future version!

I can't decide which Twitter App I like the best, which I suppose means I don't really love any of them.  I find myself using Twittelator the most, but Twitterific has potential as well (but just a couple of things that are annoying).  I really wish these two apps would somehow "merge" and combine the best things about them.  And both of them need to drop the integrated browser and just launch links in Safari.  I've never gotten Twinkle to work, though I admittedly haven't spent much time trying.

iWant  On vacation somewhere and you want to go out to eat?  Need to find a nice hotel room from the Interstate with a minimum of fuss and you don't know the area at all?  Find a Grocery Store, Pharmacy, or Bank?  Or go see a movie?  This simple, free app rocks hard.  It uses the location services in your device (GPS if you got it, or else the Cell Tower/Wifi triangulation stuff) to figure out where you are, and then pops up suggestions for all these different things (and more) via a very easy to use UI.  Just plain great.

zxsix already mentioned last.fm, but AOL Radio and Pandora are also available and free (and great).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:43:20 pm »

Simplify is certainly one, though I still wish JRiver would build something better that would act as both a "Remote Control" app for a computer using MC, and a "Simplify" type application that could stream media into the device.  Either way, that is a cool app.

I wanted to try it, but I'm a flac guy.  Their faq says they don't support flac.  An email from the confirmed that they don't plan to in the future either.  ::) 

FlashLight.  It is stupid, but it is free and it is amazing how well it really works.  I actually end up using it all the time anymore.  My only complaint is that it'd be better if it automatically set the Brightness setting on the phone up to Max while the app was active and then cranked it back down to where you had it before when you exit.  Perhaps in a future version!

Jailbroken versions increase the brightness by default.  Much better than the official version.

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 07:54:21 am »

I don't have an iPhone but my friend wouldn't buy one until eWallet was finally supported on it.
Jeff

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 10:17:00 am »

ewallet is supported on it now and it's syncing with the desktop version just fine.
only negative is that it doesn't show images, but they don't to that with any other device either.
I have a small database of expensive items with serial numbers and photos for insurance purposes in my ewallet.
Would be nice if the images showed up on the touch in case the house were to burn down or my main server be stolen.
I just email a copy of the wallet database file to my work computer when I make any substantial changes so I have an off-site backup copy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up