INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ on 2 computers with two iPods?  (Read 1865 times)

Dbl_Tap

MJ on 2 computers with two iPods?
« on: August 26, 2008, 12:32:01 pm »

Sorry if this has been asked before but I did search for a while without finding an answer.

I'm very frustrated with iTunes for many many reasons and am trying to find a solution. What I'm looking for is this:

- I want to have one central storage location for all of my media and have it shared with my wife's computer, my computer (of course) and my PS3. Location right now is on my computer and everything is hard-wired networked together but I'm considering a network storage drive so my computer doesn't need to be on for at least my wife's computer to get to the files (I'm guessing the PS3 probably can't utilize the network storage device without a computer running with a media program of some sort creating the media server for it)

- We both have our own iPods and want to be able to sync them with our own playlists.

Now I have found several sites that explain how to do this, sort of, with iTunes using one library file shared between the two computer but you can't have both your computer's playing at the same time and other things plus if I forgot to mention I'M SICK OF iTUNES! The frickin' program keeps deleting songs, album artwork, and overwriting my file info.

If MJ or MC can't do this I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction for another program even though I'm liking MJ quite a bit.

Thanks in advance

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MJ on 2 computers with two iPods?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 12:58:36 pm »

JRiver Media Center can serve its library to other PC's, using its Library Server.  Either MJ or MC can be a client.  MC is $40.

MC also has a UPnP server.  I'm not sure whether the PS3 will connect to it.

Dbl_Tap

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 01:16:32 pm »

Thanks Jim. Can any computer/client then modify content in the library and have it show up with no issues on the other computers? Can other users be using MJ or MC at the same time and snyc their iPods? Is its Library Server built in or a separate download?

Lastly since I have you here if I buy the mp3 encoder how high of a quality can I encode?  I couldn't find any info on that.

Thanks again.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 06:06:40 pm »

Can any computer/client then modify content in the library and have it show up with no issues on the other computers?

Only the server can modify the library.

In addition to using the HTTP based server/client system it possible to load a remote library from a shared network folder. This alternative approach allows remote modifications. If more than one PC loads the same library only the first program instance can save changes.

Can other users be using MJ or MC at the same time and sync their iPods?

At least a device that shows up as a regular disk drive can be synced (i.e. the files can be downloaded from the server), but I have not tested an iPod.

Is its Library Server built in or a separate download?

Built-in.

Lastly since I have you here if I buy the mp3 encoder how high of a quality can I encode?  I couldn't find any info on that.

It supports all standard MP3 bitrates (32-320 kbps) and high quality variable bitrate modes.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up