INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11 + WMP11 update = ?  (Read 6884 times)

Toast11

MC11 + WMP11 update = ?
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:06:33 am »

would someone kindly refresh my memory if there is still an issue with MC11 (my vers. is MC11.1.196 Registered) if one updates beyond Windows Media Player 10 (ie on to WMP 11) in the way that it breaks MC11's ability to code (and or decode prior) .wma files?

The master version of my music collection resides in .wma format coded by MC11 using the WMP10 codex.  In my last visit to these boards (over a year ago) i believe the story was that WMP11 broke MC11 as far as .wma coding goes, that there was no patch or update to MC11 to resolve this issue, and that one had to PURCHASE MC12 to avoid the problem if one allowed WMP to update itself to the current version (WMP11).  Due to this recollection, I have been holding off on letting WMP update, but feel I can do so no longer.

a little clarification or correction would be much appreciated.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MC11 + WMP11 update = ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 08:40:04 am »

I think the problem was only with the changed WMA Lossless encoding parameters. All other WMA encoding settings and playback of all MC encoded WMA variants should work without problems.

I still have MC11.1 installed on my XP PCs with the latest WM codecs and WMA appears to be working fine. I got also WMA Losless encoding working by tweaking the text file that describes how MC11.1 uses the WMA lossless codec. However, I have no experience about DRM protected WMA content.

You could update to the last MC11.1 build: ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/old/MC111201.exe
The last MC 11.1 build can be installed simultaneously with later program versions if you want to test drive MC12 or MC13 (which is announced to be available soon).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Toast11

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 10:44:38 am »

thanks Alex.

yes, .wma lossless is the codex i used in MC11 for all the master copies in my audio library.

as i recall my purchased copy of MC11 was a little over a year old and i was disappointed that JRiver declined to patch it for MS's new  WMP .wma lossless codec, as i would expect any company to do with software that recent when something as essential as MS compatibility is concerned.  paying again to move on to MC12 (which had nothing new of interest to me, other than the fact that this issue was corrected), in that light, appeared as the next step in an endless merry-go-round that I decided NOT to get on.

i appreciate the hard link to MC11.1.201.  when this issue arose, whenever i attempted to update or patch my version of MC11 to a subsequent release, JRiver's web page link for that purpose (and the link within the software itself) would force a download of a trial version of MC12 instead, which further infuriated me.  somehow i doubt that MC11.1.201 addresses this .wma lossless issue, unless i hear from someone inside JRiver directly confirming that here.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 12:46:18 pm »

There's no harm in trying it.

You could also take a look at the changes for the more recent builds of MC11.  I found the 11.1.201 thread by searching for it.  You could search for others.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 12:48:16 pm »

somehow i doubt that MC11.1.201 addresses this .wma lossless issue

MC11.1.201 does not address the WMA Lossless encoding problem. (It has a few other fixes and in general it is the best MC11.1 build.)

However, as I said, the problem is easy to fix. Only a small change in the WMA Lossless configuration file is needed.

You can download my fixed configuration file from here: wmalossless_profile.zip

Unzip the file and replace the lossless.xml file in the [MC program path]\Plugins\WMAProfiles\ folder with the fixed file.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Toast11

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 01:59:16 pm »

MC11.1.201 does not address the WMA Lossless encoding problem. (It has a few other fixes and in general it is the best MC11.1 build.)

However, as I said, the problem is easy to fix. Only a small change in the WMA Lossless configuration file is needed.

You can download my fixed configuration file from here: wmalossless_profile.zip

Unzip the file and replace the lossless.xml file in the [MC program path]\Plugins\WMAProfiles\ folder with the fixed file.

thanks very kindly for the zip and instructions for the fix, Alex.  to me its pure gold  :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up