INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Command line--readonly, play playlist  (Read 1480 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Command line--readonly, play playlist
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

I'm trying to build a computer alarm clock.  I built one a few years ago with an ancient computer and a convoluted system of iTunes with auto playlist exporting nightly plus a very complicated macro system with keystroke modifiers.  I was basically able to listen to things or adjust my alarm clock with a wireless numeric keypad.

My current road block is how do I launch MC, forcing read-only, also telling MC to play a playlist?

I will then search a bit for an ideal program...otherwise just use my macro application.  It will, at a set time, run the command line controls to do the above ... start and play MC.  It will also include volume control adjustment, which will slowly increase the volume over about a minute.  If I push a number, such as 1, the macro will slowly lower the volume, exit MC, and after X minutes, it will start it again.

I will create a playlist group with a playlist for each day of the week.  I'll also include, perhaps, some smartlist features that will pull in the most recent Cnet news podcast (few minutes long)...this was great a while ago and I want to set it up again.

I'm going to use my Asus EEE, which I don't use much anymore, with a Bose sound system.  Before I used a 2.1 system and I may revert to it because it is nice to have full stereo with a nice subwoofer.

Thanks!

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
Re: Command line--readonly, play playlist
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 04:11:18 am »

Assuming you can't use the MC scheduler, which allows scheduling playback then....

1) You can launch MC with the /LibraryReadOnly switch to make the library read only.
There's also a /PlayReplace switch you may be able to use.
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/The_Command_Line

2) The MCC command MCC_PLAY_PLAYLIST defined here http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Media_Center_Core_Commands#Playback
should play a playlist. From a script just run "MC12.exe /MCC 30007,playlistID"

Not sure if any of that helps....

Richard

benn600

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 09:10:36 am »

Opening in read only works perfectly.  I' having trouble getting the play a playlist item to work properly.  The playlistid for my Friday playlist is: 525569876 ... so you could create the exact command, if you wouldn't mind.  I tried 30007 and the full command both and neither work at all.

Is there an easier way to find the playlistid other than creating a new smartlist, selecting the playlist, then viewing the export text?

benn600

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 01:54:13 pm »

I'm sorry but I'm trying everything and can't seem to get it to play anything through the command line option.  Once I can get this working it will be a piece of cake!  Going to be so cool to have this alarm clock system working again like I did a few years ago.

/PlayReplace TREEPATH=Audio

This doesn't work, nor does about any other treepath.  This makes sense to say play this tree path item.  However, using the playlist id, which is a little more work, is better in the long run because I can rearrange playlists while the unique identifier remains on each actual playlist.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 02:07:05 pm »

...and this doesn't work.  I clearly have a playlist called Test under Playlists:
/Play TREEPATH=Playlists\Test

benn600

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 02:21:18 pm »

Well, see, I guess I just figured the wiki was lying when it said MC12.exe.

Then I thought it was lying when it said system folder.

Then I thought it was lying for other reasons.

Whoops.  All good now!

gappie

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 03:45:08 pm »

guess you did something like /Play TREEPATH=Playlists\\Test

;)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up