INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some General Questions on Use of Album Gain  (Read 1436 times)

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
Some General Questions on Use of Album Gain
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:43:05 pm »

Many of my mp3 files show a value for album gain, some do not. I like to burn mp3 cds for use in my car stereo (an Alpine 9310), and I have some questions about Media Center's use of album gain:

Is album gain something that permanently changes the mp3 file?

Is the ideal gain value 0 dB?

Is album gain something I can only use when playing the mp3s through Media Center?

Should I consider adding "album gain" to all my mp3 files?

Is there some reason I should not use album gain?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to "gain" a bit of useful knowledge (bad pun, I know).
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4412
* Firefox 126; Thunderbird 116

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Some General Questions on Use of Album Gain
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 12:31:09 pm »

After the files are analyzed the replay gain values are kept as metadata in the library and in the physical file tags when possible. During playback MC uses the values for adjusting the playback volume if Volume Leveling is enabled. The audio content is never altered.

The album gain value is calculated dynamically. To make it appear the album needs to be detected as complete (check the program help for info about the complete album logic). The album gain value is used during playback if enabled in the Volume Leveling options.

Some hardware devices are able to read and use the Replay Gain tags, but I don't know if your Alpine can do that. So far I have not stumbled on a car player that can do it.

If you want to adjust the files permanently so that they will play at equal volume levels on every player you can use the MP3Gain program for adjusting the audio content inside the files:  http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

A good option is to first adjust the files by using the Album Gain option in Mp3Gain (this will keep the files inside each album at correct relative volume levels) and then analyze (or reanalyze) the files in MC so that you can use the track gain option during playback when preferred.

If MC has old replay gain values you need to reanalyze the files after they have been altered with MP3Gain.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Some General Questions on Use of Album Gain
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 01:55:13 pm »

Thank you!
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4412
* Firefox 126; Thunderbird 116
Pages: [1]   Go Up