INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO Output plugin for MJ ?  (Read 2033 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
ASIO Output plugin for MJ ?
« on: July 27, 2002, 02:42:23 pm »

Hi,

Is there an ASIO Output plugin for MJ ? If not, are there any plans for development? There is one for Wimamp at

http://www.aikis.or.jp/%7Eotachan/out_asio.html

I tried it for winamp 2.8 and the CD/APE files playback does sound better than Wave Out or Direct Sound output plugin and better than MJ. I love the media library organization/server features for MJ and would like to use ASIO capabilities of my sound card with MJ :).

thanks,
Osho

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
RE:ASIO Output plugin for MJ ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 11:18:11 pm »

I second this... Not having bit perfect CD output from the SPDIF of a Audio PC is a shame...

Its nuts that if you want an unadulaterated bitstream you need to use 98/ME... The lack of a bypass method the the KMixer is one of the big XP screw ups...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

jann

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2002, 01:25:34 pm »

Asio would really be great, but I'm sure, that these drivers are not responsible for better audio quality. They differ only in latency times and maybe stability.

Jan

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2002, 02:27:30 am »

Hmmm... Make me wonder if you are aware of the Kmixer issue ??

Windows VXD drivers would pass un adulaterated bitstreams of a CD out to an external decoder... in theory even the cheapest soundcard that sent out SPDIF would be equal to a multi $1000 boutique transport.. In truth we know this is hogwash and the only conclusion the audiophiles can gereally agree on is that it is a jitter concer... The high end soundcards (keeping the soundcard budget below say 600 or so) do rival the highest end transports but...

Since the adoption of the WDM diver format only DTS and DD AC3 bitstreams are passed unmolested... So now as we go to a newer OS we are forced to have a corrupted bitstream for our CD wav or ape listening... the effects are noticable and are directly attribited to the Kmixer interaction...

This is known and discused quite a few times.. In fact I believe that the Lynx cards are solving the issue by including a VDX driver wrapped in a WDM layer... This is an obvious cludge an not what is desired... The ASIO (Stienberg Interface) system commnicates with the soundcard directly and so passes the bitstream unmolested.  

Personally I have sunk enough time and effort into my audio that the idea of being forced into having my adudio bitstream manipulated (or corrupted form the origional) is not welcome...

The PC is trying to shake the stigma of being a low end audio machine and the 24/192 cards that are being adopted now have the ability to rival consumer equipment in the high end camp a stupid MS based issue like this is exactly what allows the golden ear camp to say that PC's are not capable of high quality sound but it is just poor programming...

Its like the fact we can no longer play DTS CD's since 98/ME either !!!
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

jann

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2002, 03:28:17 am »

Thank you very much, Phat Phreddy.
I didn't know this.

Jan

Vlad

• Recent member
  • Application Developermusic, hi-fi, fishing
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2002, 06:27:40 am »

Wow, PhatPhreddy.  It sounds like you're someone that I need to get to know better.  My main aim with this whole Jukebox caper is to replace the CD player in the sound system with a computer on a network.  Ideally an old laptop feeding a DAC via a USB device.  The new Sonica from M-Audio being the only thing on the short list so far.  I have no need for AV or DSP, this is purely a sound system.  The DAC will be an Apogee DA-1000E-20.  Needless to say I want to drive it with a source worthy of it's potential.

Is this a utopian dream?  Any advice would be most welcome.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2002, 10:30:57 am »

Thanks everyone for their reply. Having one such plugin will significantly improve the overall satisfaction of *All* Media Jukebox customers who have their entire CD collections ripped on hard disk (I am not done with all but almost there :)).

thanks,
Osho

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2002, 11:46:44 am »

If the SDK isn't too obtuse, we may add ASIO support in version 9...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jann

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 12:32:35 pm »

Media Jukebox is the Best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2002, 01:14:07 pm »

Thanks Matt.. Looking forward to it!