INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Tagging  (Read 1684 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
DVD Tagging
« on: September 04, 2008, 09:50:03 am »

Do I have any hope in asking for some method to store tagging information with DVD rips (VIDEO_TS)?  This is really causing problems with multiple home theater PCs because I have to manually import things, quick find cover art, and apply tags from the folder structure.  So I have to manually make changes every time I add DVDs.

MrHaugen

Re: DVD Tagging
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:44:00 am »

Same here. Although I mostly use images of DVD's and BluRay my self, most of what you want applies here as well.
A simple ting as a way to autoimport and set the name as the directory could help, but a database lookup with info or intergration with DVDprofiler or similar would be ideal..
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 10:46:15 am »

I export regularly the complete video category to an mpl playlist. MC can import all metadata from an mpl file.

The mpl export can be configured to use relative paths so if one mpl file is exported to each base folder it is possible to use them even when the drive letters or server paths are different on a different PC.

I export regularly the complete video category to an mpl playlist. MC can import all metadata from an mpl file.

The mpl export can be configured to use relative paths so if one mpl file is exported to each base folder it is possible to use them even when the drive letters or server paths are different on a different PC.

EDIT

In addition, I often create mpl files of subsets of my library. For instance, I record a certain TV series weekly and from time to time I update an mpl file in the series' root folder. If I want to add the series to a new library I simply drag the mpl file to MC.

...and no, I don't run Auto-importer in the background. I prefer to stay in control. In any case the Auto-Import feature is not designed to be able to update tags in the existing files from mpl files. Only the import playlist tool can do that.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 11:00:40 am »

It would be nice if MC could do this entirely automatically, creating an MPL File in the video_ts folder maybe?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 11:18:18 am »

A sidecar system has been requested from time to time. Since mpl is already supported it would be the obvious format choice.

(glynor has suggested the xmp format, but I don't think there is a commonly accepted standard for storing video tags in xmp yet. Creating a new proprietary xmp tagging style would be waste of resources because mpl already works. Since both formats use the xml language it would not be difficult to change the storage format in the future if needed.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 02:06:48 pm »

The problem arises when you've got a pile of HTPCs around the house.  What process do you want to take to update their databases?  Of course currently I just open the server's database as read-only.  But of course I have to manually restart MC (I added a theater view option to restart MC) but this then clears any DVD bookmarks so you're starting from scratch.

Another solution would be to do what I've suggested a few times: separate the user's media files from the personal user data.  So the music, pictures, video would live in a MEDIA database.  Then, each computer would have a USER database.  So the HTPC could easily refresh the media database while maintaining the bookmark data (in the user database).  Many possibilities on this route.
Pages: [1]   Go Up