INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO and DVD playback  (Read 2102 times)

Umphrey

ASIO and DVD playback
« on: September 04, 2008, 05:34:42 pm »

I am trying to play DVDs with asio output, but whenver I start the dvd playback the sound is sent to a waveout strip, instead of the ASIO which I have configured. I've read through the help file and searched around, but I am not sure how to configure this properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: ASIO and DVD playback
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 08:18:38 pm »

Options in "Playback > Audio" only affect audio playback.

DVD audio routing is configured in Options > Playback > Video > Audio Renderer.  ASIO is not possible, since DVD playback uses Direct Show audio renderers, and ASIO is not a possible choice.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Umphrey

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:36:58 pm »

Options in "Playback > Audio" only affect audio playback.

DVD audio routing is configured in Options > Playback > Video > Audio Renderer.  ASIO is not possible, since DVD playback uses Direct Show audio renderers, and ASIO is not a possible choice.
Thanks for the answer.  I am attempting to pass a DTS stream, but when it goes out through waveout window's KMixer butchers the audio, so my sound system cannot recognize it. When I pass DTS or dolby 5.1 encoded audio through ASIO my external decoder is able to instantly recognize and decode it. If not through ASIO, how am I supposed to pass the surrond sound on a dvd?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 08:41:59 pm »

Thanks for the answer.  I am attempting to pass a DTS stream, but when it goes out through waveout window's KMixer butchers the audio, so my sound system cannot recognize it. When I pass DTS or dolby 5.1 encoded audio through ASIO my external decoder is able to instantly recognize and decode it. If not through ASIO, how am I supposed to pass the surrond sound on a dvd?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

In Options > Playback > Video > DVD playback settings...

Try different audio decoders.  You need one that isn't decoding the DTS stream, but instead passing the bitstream.  If you use ffdshow, you'll need to open up its control panel and pick SPDIF output.  Cyberlink, etc. have a similar filter configuration.  You may be able to double-click the filter in the DVD filter list on that options page to configure it.

Also, make sure you select the SPDIF soundcard line for the audio renderer.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 10:07:08 am »

Which OS are you using? If it's XP you should also check that Windows audio speaker settings are set for "Stereo Desktop Speakers" or something like that (stereo) and not something multi-channel like "5.1". I don't remember exactly where I read it or all the details but it's supposed to make a difference in how things get routed. I'll see if I can find it again it and post the link because it was a pretty good explanation.

Umphrey

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 11:26:53 pm »

Which OS are you using? If it's XP you should also check that Windows audio speaker settings are set for "Stereo Desktop Speakers" or something like that (stereo) and not something multi-channel like "5.1". I don't remember exactly where I read it or all the details but it's supposed to make a difference in how things get routed. I'll see if I can find it again it and post the link because it was a pretty good explanation.
I am using windows XP 64 SP2. I have tried virtually all possible combinations with speaker settings, as well as configuring ffdshow to use S/PDIF. I have tried three different sound cards, not including my motherboard's built in sound. I believe the problem lies in windows KMixer, as it is trying to mix the DTS signal. Both ASIO and Kernel streaming bypass the KMixer, and as such I do not have any problems.

PLEASE, I would really appreciate any help whatsoever. Merlinwerks, if you happen to run across that link I would very much like to read it.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 09:59:33 am »

I haven't found the info I referred to above, but here is some good info none the less  ;)  I think the question here is how to get bit-perfect spdif pass-through with XP 64 bit and MC? Anyone out there have success with this? Beuller? I started a new build with XP 64 at the the beginning of the summer and it got put on hold, mainly because it was, well, ah, summer  ;D I plan to pick it back up soon so this is a question I will need answers to myself.

Actually, if you click the "Wiki" tab at the top of the page in the link and then follow the "FAQ" link, that is the info I referred to earlier  ;D

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 11:47:19 am »

Umphrey,

Have you tried AC3Filter and its pass-through options? I have had better success with it than with FDDShow.

www.ac3filter.net

In general, the SPDIF pass-through during video playback is controlled by DirectShow filters. ASIO and the speaker options in Windows Control Panel are not usable for that.

I have tried three different sound cards...

What sound cards do you have? Do they provide any SPDIF options in the device specific control panels?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Umphrey

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 03:21:27 pm »

Umphrey,

Have you tried AC3Filter and its pass-through options? I have had better success with it than with FDDShow.

www.ac3filter.net

In general, the SPDIF pass-through during video playback is controlled by DirectShow filters. ASIO and the speaker options in Windows Control Panel are not usable for that.

What sound cards do you have? Do they provide any SPDIF options in the device specific control panels?

I have tried a great variety of settings, including ac3filter. Yes, I have configured the sound card's respective control interfaces for SPDIF. My sound cards are, EMU 1616m, M-audio revolution 7.1, and Chaintech av-710. For DVD, the closest I have gotten to bit-perfect is a dts signal being recognized for a few seconds, but it jumps back and forth from being a recognized signal to being static.

I have played a video with DTS encoded sound through winamp using its ASIO plugin, and I was able to get bit perfect output with the DTS being recognized. I played the same MKV with MC, and try as I might, I could not get it to pass a bit perfect signal, nor use ASIO.  I find this quite frustrating, so my question is this, is MC capable of using ASIO for ANY video?

MerlinWerks, thank you for that link, it was quite an enlightening read.

Pages: [1]   Go Up