INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ways to speed up remote client to server access  (Read 1870 times)

dandiodati

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Ways to speed up remote client to server access
« on: August 20, 2008, 02:29:03 am »

I was trying to use media center with once instance on a server and another instance running as a client and accessing the server library of photos and music(going over a wireless n).
This tends to be pretty slow in response time and times seems to just lock up at times for a a few minutes.

Is there any way to tune the performance of a client, to make it more responsive? Like have it download smaller versions of the images or something?

I have a web site that is generated based on smaller versions of the images and it response very quickly. Clicking on thumbnails in mc can take several minutes sometimes to show the full image.  >:(

dandiodati

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Ways to speed up remote client to server access
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 12:59:55 am »

Does no one use MC as a client and server solution? Others must have had issues with slow response time?
 :-[

)p(

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 02:41:26 am »

I just use a shared library on a network drive. Each mc connects to this library directly in read only mode. I find this to be an easy and very responsive solution, no lag at all.

peter

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 10:22:57 am »

What version of Media Center (please post your system info). It should not be slow for photos...

j

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 11:03:19 am »

Unless the routing takes the connection outside the local network.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:20:02 am »

I was trying to use media center with once instance on a server and another instance running as a client and accessing the server library of photos and music(going over a wireless n).
This tends to be pretty slow in response time and times seems to just lock up at times for a a few minutes. ...

... I have a web site that is generated based on smaller versions of the images and it response very quickly. Clicking on thumbnails in mc can take several minutes sometimes to show the full image.

Do you have all thumbnails created? It can be a slow process if you don't have a fast LAN and you have lots of big image files.

How big is a typical "full image" and what is the exact format (jpg, tiff, raw,...)?

What is the nominal speed of you wireless network? Does it work reliably and as fast as it should when you simply copy files over the network?

In any case "several minutes" doesn't sound right.

Can you measure how long it takes to open a full size image (through network) in a photo editor on the client PC and then open (aka play) the same image in MC and compare the speeds?

Unless the routing takes the connection outside the local network.

That's one possibility.

dandiodati,

Does the local connection between the PCs continue to work if you unplug your internet connection?
... or are you actually using it through an internet connection?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 01:23:15 am »

Here are some benchmarqs from my system.

Opening an 1.5MB image from the connected library server takes 30 seconds
Loading the library when connecting to the server takes more than 5 minutes

Connected through ADSL 5000/500
Loading files through FTP or HTTP from the same location takes 2-3 seconds for for an 1.5MB image

With MC10 I was able to store the library with the server paths on the client. So it was not automatically updated,, but worked really fine and amazing fast. With MC12 this does not work anymore. Or did I miss something ?

Rolf
Pages: [1]   Go Up