INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to do FULL backup?  (Read 1357 times)

wladdy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
How to do FULL backup?
« on: September 08, 2008, 07:13:12 am »

Hi, I am about to reformat my hard drive (my media files are on other external drives) and I would like to know how to FULLY backup my four MC12 libraries.

I suppose that copying the backup.zip files is not enough, as it would leave out the thumbnails.

Also, I want to make sure that the views and the custom fields are not left out.

Finally, I would like to know whether I am forgetting something, be it essential or a detail.

Many thanks.

W.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: How to do FULL backup?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 07:00:34 am »

The view schemes, playlists and user fields are included in the library backup files. Create a backup file for each library or alternatively backup the database files from the actual library locations.

In addition you can backup everything you want to preserve from C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12  (-- on XP, on Vista the path is slightly different)

Naturally you need to at least backup the actual cover art files if you have used the default location.

If you want to preserve the generated thumbnails they are under "...\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Thumbnails". They can be used on the new system only if the library files and the thumbnails are from the same snapshot. I.e. you will need to backup and restore the library files and the thumbnail files together when MC is closed.

In addition, you may want to export and import the "JRiver\Media Center 12" windows registry branches from HKCU\Software and HKLM\Software. Most of the user configurable options are stored in the registry.

Do the last step only if you have some understanding of the Windows Registry system. I wouldn't recommend doing it if you have any problems with your current MC installation. You might replicate the problems on your newly installed system. Alternatively you can just make notes about your currently set options.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up