INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View View Schemes  (Read 12921 times)

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Theater View View Schemes
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 02:08:51 am »

at this moment it is possible to set up every step in a view. except the last one, which is under advanced>filecaption. should that step not also be in the same place where you make the view? when you browse through thv there is no file level, just a last level.

:)
gab

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2008, 10:36:50 pm »

We had a long talk about it this morning.  Nothing specific to announce yet.

Glad it is still on the table, and looking forward to being able to use Theater View once again.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2008, 08:06:34 am »

I guess my issue with theater view has always been "Why can't I create my own view schemes?"
Or put another way... why am I forced to use Audio, Image, Video?
MC has a great engine to create viewschemes based on whatever filters we want - can this not be applied to theater view as well? Or am I missing something?

To give an example... If I want to create a top level entry that contains my photos and home videos together, why shouldn't I be able to? At the moment I'm forced to put the photos in 'Images' and the clips in 'Video', despite them all belonging to the same albums... In my mind as a user, these media types belong together as "Personal Media" or whatever you want to call it. That's what makes sense to me personally. The fact that some are images and some are videos remains unimportant.

In standard view, I've always used root level tree items for view schemes which, until recently, was a practice undocumented and generally not recommended by J River. By doing this, I was able to get creative and design an organisational scheme for my needs and for my type of library. Don't get me wrong - I understand the need for a simple Audio/Images/Video structure as a default template for new users and for less complicated libraries. They also serve as a means of introducing users to the basics of how to organise their library (using schemes, filters etc). I guess I just never understood why this should be a limitation.

Anyway, I'm probably getting longwinded again (sorry) - I guess what I'm suggesting is, and I know I'm not the first to suggest it - is to open up the top level theater view item creation to include new views. You've got the view scheme edit dialog there already (if I try to edit the audio view scheme, for example). Would it be a difficult thing to have the same dialog when I click on "Add"?

As for the disk image files / video problem... perhaps this is a solution to this issue as well?
Create a new Top level theater view item, select filters to include [Media Subtype] = Movies
or ( [Media Type]=Video or [Filetype]=*iso,*nrg ) etc

rjm

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2008, 09:40:42 am »

I guess my issue with theater view has always been "Why can't I create my own view schemes?"
Or put another way... why am I forced to use Audio, Image, Video?

amen

I understand the desire to make the default product easy to setup and use for newcomers. Just don't hurt your experienced users. One of the main reasons we love and support MC is its flexibility.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2008, 10:06:02 am »

I'd love to be able to create my own views as well. And nesting views is what I would love to have under those. If I understand that correctly - clicking on Video shows for instance the options (set up by me) DVD, HD-movies and so on - that's it, right?
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2008, 05:26:18 pm »

I'd love to be able to create my own views as well. And nesting views is what I would love to have under those. If I understand that correctly - clicking on Video shows for instance the options (set up by me) DVD, HD-movies and so on - that's it, right?

You've got it! That's one of the benefits nesting offers.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2008, 01:07:23 am »

* BUMP *
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2008, 09:22:19 am »

Good point, Raym.  I was actually annoyed just yesterday (while people were over for turkey day) that I couldn't use Theater View anymore.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2008, 02:27:19 pm »

FWIW I've gone back to V12 because Theatre View doesn't support nested view schemes.

gappie

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2008, 04:21:49 pm »

FWIW I've gone back to V12 because Theatre View doesn't support nested view schemes.
well.. for me its forth something, i thought i was the only one. i have been trigger happy to go over to 13 for a few months, just waiting till thv got 'fixed', i gave up on that, and watch patiently how thing develop.. using mc12, happily, to play all my media. 13 only on my work machine.

MrHaugen

« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2008, 07:08:24 pm »

I have also paid for a software I can not yet use.

Most of this things was possible in MC12. Both making Theater View video sub type schemes and adding data files to the video schemes. Unless this functionality is returned I'll be foreced to use MC12 forever.
This is an illustration of what I used to be able to: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44472.0

Please just bring those things back. I'm not asking for more or less.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2008, 08:00:07 pm »

OK.  We'll add nesting back this week.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2008, 09:40:06 pm »

.....and adding data files to the video schemes.

This is fixed for me --> see http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=49355.0
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2008, 09:55:34 pm »

I thought I was able to select different views settings for the sub items (eg I want the Top Level of Video to be "Line Up", Home Videos to be "Details", Movies to be "Thumbnails" etc) but it seems that setting your prefered view in one area changes it in the others.

JRiver CEO Elect

MrHaugen

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2008, 12:30:44 pm »

That's great news! Looking forward to it.

This is fixed for me --> see http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=49355.0
Wierd. I can't make it work. You are sure you can add image files under theater view without changing tag to video? Probably just the new View Scheme editor thing that confuses me.

I thought I was able to select different views settings for the sub items (eg I want the Top Level of Video to be "Line Up", Home Videos to be "Details", Movies to be "Thumbnails" etc) but it seems that setting your prefered view in one area changes it in the others.
That has never worked. I have mentioned it several times myself. To be able to save a preferred detail/lineup/thumb view for each sub group would be the best. The next best thing would be to set different views for each level, across all categories.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2008, 02:36:53 pm »

Wierd. I can't make it work. You are sure you can add image files under theater view without changing tag to video? Probably just the new View Scheme editor thing that confuses me.
You still can not add "Data" Files to Theater View, but you can tag them as "Video" then select how MC13 opens them.  Eg my ISO are tagged as Video, I assign cover art etc, but when you "play" the ISO, MC13 is configed to run them using "Windows Default" application (you can even pick an app if you want).  The net effect is the same as if they were tagged as Data in MC12.

That have never worked. I have mentioned it several times my self. To be able to save a preffered detail/lineup/tumb view for each sub group would be the best. The next best thing would be to set different views for each level, across all categories.

OK - thanks - I too would prefer to be able to set the Detail/Lineup/Thumb view setting for each sub group level.
JRiver CEO Elect

MrHaugen

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2008, 05:35:22 pm »

You still can not add "Data" Files to Theater View, but you can tag them as "Video" then select how MC13 opens them.  Eg my ISO are tagged as Video, I assign cover art etc, but when you "play" the ISO, MC13 is configed to run them using "Windows Default" application (you can even pick an app if you want).  The net effect is the same as if they were tagged as Data in MC12.
That's what I was afraid of. The problem is that you have to do that every time you add a image file to you're library, even if it auto imports.
Auto import, add files to video view scheme, download cover art, review etc based on filename would be a dream come true. But for now let's hope they find a solution on how to add image files to the view schemes.

OK - thanks - I too would prefer to be able to set the Detail/Lineup/Thumb view setting for each sub group level.
I belive most of us would :)

MrHaugen

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2008, 05:09:22 pm »

I haven't seen it in the change logs yet. Have it been fixed in a build not available for the public yet?
Read up on everything up to build 91.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up