INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone OS 2.1 is Out Now  (Read 4098 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
iPhone OS 2.1 is Out Now
« on: September 12, 2008, 09:49:35 am »

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/12/iphone-2-1-update-is-out-bug-fixes-and-longer-battery-life-prom/

I don't have any personal report.  I'm going to do the update now.  I've read you need to have iTunes 8, which is MEGA-ANNOYING.  I don't want to update to iTunes 8 because it breaks iTLU.  If so, I'm going to have to do the update on a different machine (which will wipe all my music off of the phone) and then resync with the proper machine using iTunes 7.7.1.11 to get all my stuff back.  Erg!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: iPhone OS 2.1 is Out Now
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 09:53:51 am »

Nah, reports were wrong. The update works fine with iTunes 7.7.1.11.  Downloading now...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:52:52 am »

Gah!  With the fake out.  It sees and lets you download the update with 7.7.1.11, but when you try to apply it, it fails.  I'm going to use another computer to apply it and see if the updated phone still works to sync with 7.7.1.11...

Okay... an update.  The error message was somewhat ambiguous (and I didn't figure it out until I tried to do the update on another machine).  The UPDATE itself works fine from 7.7.1.11.  However, once the phone is updated, it can no longer be USED with iTunes 7.7.1.11 and you must update to iTunes 8 to be able to sync (or anything else).

EPIC FAIL!!

I'm going to try iTSync now to see if it works with iTunes 8.  iTLU doesn't, and it hasn't been updated in forever.  Hopefully they'll get back up to speed soon.  I don't want to have to manually update my annoying iTunes library.  ERG!!  This is why I want MC to handle using iTunes as a handheld.  JRiver'd do it right (and would actually fix things when they break when new major versions come out).

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 12:34:37 pm »

Thanks for being my guinea pig!
 ;D  :'(

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 01:10:38 pm »

Mmmm.... The OS itself is GOOOOOOOOOOOD so far.  Smoothiness not seen since 2.0 first reared its head.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 01:31:25 pm »

I'm trying out iTSync, but I can't get it to work.  It looks like it is working, but it doesn't find or add any files (and I know there are files to be added in there).  I'm not sure if I just have it configured wrong, or if it just is broken and not working with iTunes 8 (probably the latter).

Can anyone else try it out and report back to make sure I'm not crazy?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 01:36:30 pm »

Oooh.  iTLU is working now.  I reinstalled iTunes 8 (I had previously uninstalled it and rolled back to 7.7.1.11) and it didn't work.  However, I now have iTLU 1.23 (the "beta" one he released a while back) working just fine with iTunes 8.  Not sure what is different now, but I'm not going to complain!!

bwaldron

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 02:55:26 pm »

FWIW, iTLU 1.2.2.0 continues to work fine on my system after upgrading to iTunes 8.

Oooh.  iTLU is working now.  I reinstalled iTunes 8 (I had previously uninstalled it and rolled back to 7.7.1.11) and it didn't work.  However, I now have iTLU 1.23 (the "beta" one he released a while back) working just fine with iTunes 8.  Not sure what is different now, but I'm not going to complain!!

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 03:12:05 pm »

Does the upgrade on the device wipe everything or just do an actual upgrade.
Meaning does it just update the OS and leave the installed apps and settings alone, or is it like starting over.
I have mostly app store apps but a couple of jailbroken ones too.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 03:36:03 pm »

Does the upgrade on the device wipe everything or just do an actual upgrade.
Meaning does it just update the OS and leave the installed apps and settings alone, or is it like starting over.
I have mostly app store apps but a couple of jailbroken ones too.

It just updates the OS.  All official App Store Apps stay just as they are.  It also will not remove "unlocked" status, but you will lose Jailbroken "stuff" though (i.e. no Cydia, no Installer.app) for now.  However, good news on that front too.  The iPod Touch with 2.1 Firmware was Jailbroken today.  This does NOT apply to the phone OS yet (Touch 2.0 only thus far), but that should be coming somewhat soon.

I'll say this... I've spent some more time playing with it.  This is what it should have been all along.  I haven't had a single lag or crash since the update.  Good work, Apple.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 12:09:20 am »

Still no problems.

I did notice the Contacts application changed a tiny bit.  You can apparently no longer add custom labels to phone numbers, and some of my existing custom labels got reset.  I don't know if it is relevant, but I'd happily trade that tiny feature for the speed and lack of crashiness/sluggishness I've been enjoying all day.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 09:05:15 am »

I'm trying out iTSync, but I can't get it to work.  It looks like it is working, but it doesn't find or add any files (and I know there are files to be added in there).  I'm not sure if I just have it configured wrong, or if it just is broken and not working with iTunes 8 (probably the latter).

Can anyone else try it out and report back to make sure I'm not crazy?

I've been manually keeping iTunes & MC in sync - yes it's a pain - I will need to use a tool at some point. I checked with Rob from ITSync and he said he tests it with all new versions of iTunes and it is compatible with iTunes 8. While I've not yet tried the latest version, I found Rob to be very good and responsive on support in the past. If you drop him an email, he can help you get it working.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 09:08:45 am »

I updated 2 iPhones. One was fine, the other failed and I had to do a restore. For this one I had to do a new sync after the update. Took some time, but other than that it was fine.

It looks more stable. My biggest issue was battery life. It is definitely improved with this version. I'm not sure what they did to improve power management, but they defiantly made progress on this front.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 11:21:55 am »

I've been manually keeping iTunes & MC in sync - yes it's a pain - I will need to use a tool at some point. I checked with Rob from ITSync and he said he tests it with all new versions of iTunes and it is compatible with iTunes 8. While I've not yet tried the latest version, I found Rob to be very good and responsive on support in the past. If you drop him an email, he can help you get it working.

Thanks.  Now that I have iTLU working, I'll probably just stick with that (since it is free and fast) until something else comes along that causes issues.

I'm definitely seeing the battery life improvements as well.  This update has just been superb.  Really, really what the phone should have been all along.  The only bummer I've found so far is the contacts custom label thing.

I read that some of the battery life improvements are that it turns off the EDGE/3G data chip and associated electronics when it is actively connected to WiFi (rather than just sitting there idle, but turned on).  This seems like a "duh, of course" type improvement, but it would certainly make sense that it could help dramatically with power if you are connected to WiFi for much of the day (I am).  That is certainly not the only thing they've done though, because I'm seeing better life all-around, even when not connected to WiFi.

One little tip... Apparently there was a bug in the initial build of iTunes 8 that was released on day one.  (I wonder if this is why I couldn't get iTLU to work at first, actually.)  Either way, if you downloaded it on day one, you may want to uninstall, re-download, and reinstall, especially if you are having trouble syncing after doing the 2.1 update.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 01:18:45 pm »

One little tip... Apparently there was a bug in the initial build of iTunes 8 that was released on day one.  (I wonder if this is why I couldn't get iTLU to work at first, actually.)  Either way, if you downloaded it on day one, you may want to uninstall, re-download, and reinstall, especially if you are having trouble syncing after doing the 2.1 update.

glynor, what is the build number of your iTunes 8? I have 8.0.0.35. If you have a later one, I'll reinstall mine.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 01:49:41 pm »

I can't get to it until later tonight to check, but I'm pretty sure they didn't rev the build number.  I've read that it was a bug/corruption in the actual copy they made available for upload (for a few hours), rather than a bug in the build itself.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »

I can't get to it until later tonight to check, but I'm pretty sure they didn't rev the build number.  I've read that it was a bug/corruption in the actual copy they made available for upload (for a few hours), rather than a bug in the build itself.

OK. I can sync my iPhones so it is probably OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up