INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Main Room Audio/Video Setup  (Read 4006 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Main Room Audio/Video Setup
« on: September 15, 2008, 12:22:18 pm »

I'm looking for advice on speaker placement in this tough to work with space.  The first picture shows the area normally and the second shows my quick addition of 3.1 speakers & a flat panel display.  I typically associate floor standing speakers with higher quality audio so have a desire to stick with them if possible.  Of course I in no way think this is optimal or even doable...to have speakers up so high.  They should be on the floor so the tweeters aim at the listener ears.  Bookshelf on the lower, square, shelves would probably work better but wouldn't this mean a sacrifice in at least having a choice of high end floor standing speakers..?

There is essentially no wiring run so my plan is to have some sort of conduit put in between each and possibly every built in section.  This way, I can easily run wires to any section without much trouble.  Since we will have to be in the attic to run two (or more) surround speakers, I will take this as an opportunity to run ethernet to two sections.  Probably two port plates in two areas.  Behind this area is a bedroom which I'll run ethernet to as well, from the attic.  I already bought the 6-port plate that they will run to...3 2-port plates (and the two port plates).

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
Re: Main Room Audio/Video Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:07:15 pm »

There's some prety high end bookshelf sized speakers now, I think they would be a better option than the floor standing ones up there.

And since you have a sub as well, then any lower end loss from the bookshelf speakers will be covered by that.

I'd go and do some blind auditions of some speakers of both sizes and see what your ears tell you :)

Of course budget comes into this too, the better bookshelf speakers aren't usually that cheap.

Richard

benn600

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 08:53:38 pm »

I was looking at Paradigm originally so I'll have to see if they have good bookshelf speakers.  Their floor standing speakers have ~5 speakers and I was wondering if they'd ever do a half-high double-wide (fat) speaker with all 5 speakers, just more of a square instead of a tall box.

Of course I'm sure a floor standing speaker increases the sound stage over a smaller square.  We need to decide how much money to throw at this system, too.  It comes down to what is a reasonably amount that isn't going to feel like a waste...

One example would be a Samsung 52" for $2,100 vs. a Samsung 57" LED backlit for $5,000...  Of course it's a huge premium to get the semi-brand new LED backlit display.  I'm tempted to save the $3K.  Personally I think audio quality is more important.

Then I was looking at the Paradigm Studio 100.  For 5.1 plus Denon amp, the total would be around $10,000.  That's such a huge amount of money, though.  I mean is it that much better than $5K in speakers....?  I've heard Paradigm is so great and such a value.  My local store said they're having a Paradigm price hike this upcoming Monday.  We do have a very large area to fill with sound, though, which I know makes a huge difference.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 03:23:22 am »

You might want to consider lowering the TV and putting the center channel speaker above the TV.  It's a strain on the neck to have to look too high to see the TV.

AV123 has some very nice speakers that can do better than Paradigm and similar speakers at similar price points.  They're worth a look.

Don't discount smaller speakers like 2-way monitors.  They can sound big and full, especially with a sub.  A good 2-way is better sound than a poorly made 3-way.  Keep in mind that you want the tweeters to be near ear height.  In your configuration it would be better to have the speaker upside down so the tweeter is at the bottom.  Course, a 2-way monitor would also fix that problem.

One problem with putting speakers in a bookshelf like that is many speakers are rear ported.  They need space around and behind for the port the breathe.  You can end up with some bass resonances and some boomy frequencies if the port is too close to a wall or put in a corner.  One solution is to plug the port with a rolled up sock or a purpose made foam port bung.  That lowers bass extension, but the sub will take over and the sound should even out.  Putting any speaker in a corner or in a shelf will increase the bass anyways.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 09:26:48 am »

That tweeters being so high is precisely what I was worried about.  I have talked this over a bit with the family and we are going to go for bookshelf speakers instead.  The Studio 40 might be our choice.  We're all making a trip to our audio place Friday.  Of course we're only going there because they sell Paradigm.  We have closer ones.  I guess I'm intrigued by Paradigm and believe the several people who told me they are a huge value.  They're having a price increase Monday I'm told.
http://paradigm.com/en/reference/fronts-studio-studio40-model-2-13-1-27.paradigm

Addition: so they will be in the lower, square openings, which is a good height.  Aiming them down seems like a bad idea.  We'll hold off on the 100's until we build our official theater in the basement...maybe then.  We can have whatever we want there because it's unfinished and will be finished for the theater.

benn600

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 12:01:35 am »

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 12:47:44 am »

It's been about 10 years since I have heard any of the Studio series speakers.  The new version looks to be room placement friendly with the front port instead of a rear port.  Easier to place them near a wall or in a bookcase.

benn600

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 06:53:10 pm »

We bought the key components.  After careful consideration, the Studio 20s will fit great in the square shelves (under the tall ones I placed the speakers in).  The Studio 40s, which I originally was planning to get, are a few inches too tall.  We are going to start with 2.0 sound as they sound excellent.  We also ordered a 47" LED backlit LG LCD.  The receiver we got, a Denon priced at $1700, seems to be a bit overkill.  I'm not sure why we wouldn't just get a 2 channel receiver...  We decided on this one for the immediate choice because we may later add the Esprit C center channel & subwoofer.  So then we'd need a more elaborate receiver.  In the worst case we may transfer this to our official theater when we get moving on it.

I was very impressed with the Studio 20s.  Funny, too, how after we bought everything I started looking the TV & receiver up online and we paid the same price that Amazon charges for them!  Not quite sure but that seems like an awesome deal.  They said their speaker markup is much better, so maybe they make a bit there and they said very little on the TVs...

benn600

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 07:50:55 am »

This is the finished room.  I have subwoofer cable run by the receiver to the area below and have a sub sitting there, which I turn on or off depending on desire.  Generally I like it off because it is no where near the quality of the Paradigm Studio 20s.

Here is how we ended up running the hdmi, optical, and speaker wire--through these universal plug plates.  The cable we're using fit just perfectly through the holes.  We had to cut the middle piece out on the other side, though, to allow the large plugs through.

HTPC on left and Denon receiver on the right.  Looking back, I'm glad we got this receiver because I can get plenty of volume without any risk of underdriving--and destroying the speakers.  I've read so much over the past few weeks on underpowered amps its unreal.  Crazy stuff.  This is the HTPC that has the loud fan, which I'm going to replace.  I have a second built identically that is going in the theater.  These are the two premium HTPCs that I have, in addition to several which are just standard computers.

The right Paradigm speaker and Keyspan receiver.

Close up of LG LED backlit display and speakers.

The old LG CRT TV went to what we will deem our third-rate viewing area.  The soon-to-be-finished theater is absolutely first.  The above is second.  This is third.  Every other viewing area falls somewhere under these.  Could definitely use a sub.

I ran cheap audio cable to each side, in addition to one ethernet on the left and right each plus two in the center.  The left tower is one of my lower-rate HTPCs.

I constantly battle with overscan on both TVs shown and have found different solutions but nothing ever works well enough or will stay permanently.  I hope I can fix these because overscan in theater view looks horrible.

benn600

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 07:56:22 am »

My cousin, who is building our theater (in unfinished basement space) is incredibly impressed with Media Center.  He may bring the owner of a local high end audio place over to see it.  His company worked on the audiophiles new house.  MC is surprisingly enough a very well kept secret.  Perhaps J River feels some people aren't worthy!  I took me tens of hours of searching over a few YEARS to find it.  When I did, I was confused--how could this exist yet be so tough to find???  I thought it was a joke.

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 03:43:32 am »

I like the looks of the room and love equipment choices.
I've got;
Denon 4802
Studio 60 Main
Studio CC Center
ADP-370 RearPS-1000 Sub
I'd like to change the sub to an SVS ?? but, other then that works very much good.
Can't tell from the picture, what model is your Denon?

benn600

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 11:49:48 am »

Nice to find another Paradigm fan!  Funny how a year ago when I started looking at Paradigm and instantly became a huge fan.  We're using the Denon 3808CI with the Studio 20s.  I originally wanted the Studio 40s but notice they would not fit after measuring.  Our audio place said the Studio 20s are better able to perform without a subwoofer.  We've added an acceptable Aiwa sub that I've had for a lot of years.  We're using Paradigm in our theater as well, which is being built right now.  Plus Anthem preamp & amp with AudioQuest cable.  We've had the equipment bought and sitting at our audio store for a few weeks.  We're just waiting on the room to be built, which still has quite a ways to go :( ... can't believe all our nice equipment is just sitting.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 01:08:14 pm »

Which speakers are you putting in your theatre?  I have some Monitor 9's in my living room... Two thumbs up for Paradigm.

benn600

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 11:25:13 pm »

Aha!  Your profile says Canada! 

We decided on the Paradigm Signature S8 speakers.  The beryllium tweeter really sets them apart (version 2).  Unfortunately, since the last time I checked (one year ago), the price had gone up.  Thankfully, we knowingly bought them the last day before another price hike.

carchey

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 09:57:45 pm »

Please tell me what hardware you are using for the HTPC.

Thanks

benn600

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 01:19:27 pm »

Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811292002

HD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144173

Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145527

DVD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135147

Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128056

Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103066

They perform relatively well and I am pleased with them.  They could have a bit more graphics power but I liked the mobo because it included essentially EVERY analog and digital audio/video outputs POSSIBLE:
Composite, S-Video, Component, DVI, HDMI, Analog 7.1 audio, optical, HDMI audio, and maybe coaxial audio--but not sure and I don't use this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up