INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XP system upgrade  (Read 1026 times)

WyattEarp

XP system upgrade
« on: July 26, 2002, 07:41:18 pm »

Orginally downloaded MJ on my old 733MHz Win98SE without a problem.  Using XP on my new 1.7GHz machine I now have two problems, however; They may not be related.

The volume slider does not work.  Secondly, there are bursts of "data" sounds from time to time.  It seems to be related to the size of the visualization screen, the larger the more often the noise (data) bursts.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TNX

DocLotus

RE:XP system upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 03:18:38 am »

Hi WyattEarp;

Does the sound bursts happen when MJ is minimized?  Being minimized uses less memory.

How much memory does your system have?

1.7GHz machines were developed before Win XP came out & may not have enough memory.  XP is a real memory hog.  You need at least 256MHz of memory to effectivly run XP.

Do you have a lot of other programs running in the background?  If so, & you are low on memory, it is possible that your processor may be loaded down with swap file work.  When this happens, MJ does not get enough memory/processor cycles, & like any other program starts to skip which may sound like sound bursts.

Suggest you visit the following site http://winramturbo.com/ & download "WinRam Turbo Free".  It will tell you at a glance what is going on with system memory, processor & swap file use.

I use WinRam Turbo Free all the time. It has told me a lot about how my system is loaded down.

HAVE FUN!!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2002, 04:02:28 am »

WyattEarp

If your using MJ 7.0 It Was Made Before Compatability Issues Were Corrected. Upgrade To MJ8 8.0.336

If You Are Using MJ 8, Make Sure your using MJ 8.0.336, There Were Some Issues With The Betas.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2002, 04:26:43 am »

If sound problems continue, try reinstalling the sound card drivers.  

Do sound problems change if you turn off visualizations?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

WyattEarp

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2002, 06:28:13 am »

Thanks to everyone for the responses.  I am currently using 8.0.329 with 256MB of Ram and AMD Athlon XP1700|PLS|.

The problem seems to go away when the visualization is turned off or the screen minimized.  I have installed the lastest drivers for both video and audio drivers.

I will try to download the RAM check program later so I can monitor the real usage, and upgrade to 8.0.336.  Thanks again to all for the help.  Any other suggestions if I come up empty??

Have a great weekend!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up