INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1962 Jaguar -- One Small Step for Man  (Read 2327 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
1962 Jaguar -- One Small Step for Man
« on: September 19, 2008, 06:51:36 pm »

This afternoon, after procrastinating for the last few years, I decided to replace the battery in the old Jaguar.  I've owned it since about 1984.  The short history:

Scott M. bought it new, drove it for about ten years, parked it, and never started it again. 

Ten years later, I bought it from Scott, towed it to my old house, where it sat in the yard for another ten years.  It wasn't smart.  I just liked it.  My kids played in it.  They're now 27 and 29.

In about 1992, when I came into a little money, I towed it to Coventry Cat House in Long Lake, MN.  The owner said something like "piece of cake".

$2,000 later, it ran.  $20,000 later, when I ran out of money, he let me have it back.  We're up to about 1994 now.

I drove it occasionally over the next 5 years.

In 2004, when I moved, I managed to start it and get it here.  It has been in my garage for the last four years with a dead battery.

So, today I double checked the battery again, took it out, drove it to Sears, and bought a new battery for $104. 

I drove the new battery home, put it in the car, found the key, and tried to start it.  It turned over.  "This is good", I thought.  "We're getting somewhere."  But it didn't fire.  No gas, I thought.

I remembered that there used to be a click click clicking sound from the back of the car whenever I turned the ignition on.  I opened the trunk and there was the trusty fuel pump.  Lucas.  Lucifer.  I turned the ignition on.  No click.  No hum.

I found a pair of pliers and tapped on the pump a little (this used to work when I was younger).  No joy.  So I beat on it a little.  Still nothing.  I went back to the driver's seat, turned the ignition off, and sat there in total humiliation.  Luckily, there were no women watching.  I don't do well in this state, with women watching.

A few minutes later, when I had to admit defeat, I thought "Oh, why not?".  I turned the ignition on, walked back to the trunk, and banged out "The Star Spangled Banner" on the poor fuel pump.  At about the 5th bar, the pump started clicking.  I knew it was victory.  I was sure.

And it was.  Here's living proof from this afternoon, after I washed the old jewel, drove her to the gas station with a minor cloud of blue smoke trailing us, and drove home again.

1962 Jaguar -- http://pix01.com/TU@pRYL

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: 1962 Jaguar -- One Small Step for Man
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:10:18 pm »

I am surprised it was just the fuel pump.

My Adventures This Week With My Company Truck

I Lost The Keys (Both Sets)

I had it towed to Ford Today, $75 For The Tow (Two Blocks), And $188 later I have two keys.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mithrandir

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 07:34:43 pm »

You know why the Brits take their beer warm don't you?  Lucas refrigerators....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

M

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 11:01:20 pm »

Jim

is that the org. paint ?

or redone ?

Back in the 60s my favorite were the full size Mustangs.

I had a couple.

But I loved my 65 Fastback.

I had the ?ss end raise up high on shackels. (The thing to do at that time)

It was a 3 speed stick/289 , but I changed the rear end to a 4 speed

and could blow anyones doors off, when racing traffic light to traffic light in Pgh.

Bad gas millage after I did that, but it was cheap in those days.

and the Cops use to follow me everywhere.

Well, like you, I got a little baby sitting outside ( a 1986 Fiero)

And like you, I got to keep buying batteries.

;D

Ive restored it from the ground up (everything new/ except engine (only 72,000 on it))

Last to do is having someone make org. seat covers for it.

And maybe something with the org. paint.

If I get some time , will take some pics.

But that is one coooool Jag you got there, Jim.

Hey, does this bring back any memories ?

http://thefiftiesandsixties.com/CarsWeDrove.htm

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 07:47:53 am »

Great flash back site!  I dig the movie, American Graffiti, out whenever I need a fix.  It's a pretty good match for my high school experience, especially the drive-in.

Fun with cars.

The paint is the original color, repainted when the Cat House did the work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up