INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: disable unused nodes  (Read 1934 times)

cracksloth

• Recent member
disable unused nodes
« on: September 20, 2008, 03:55:02 pm »

I want to create a more simplified MC experience for myself and other users of my computer.  It is important for me to have options to disable unused features.  MC is great at this for most things but I have a few remaining items that just get in the way and persist as a general annoyance during usage.  Can you implement a way to remove/hide:

Drives & Devices (disappears if all content is removed)
Services & Plugins/Scheduler
Services & Plugins/Downloads
Services & Plugins (disappears if all content is removed)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these are bad features - it's just that they don't necessarily always apply to all users or the way they want to work.  Is it likely that something like this will find its way into MC13?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: disable unused nodes
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 06:43:54 am »

You can disable/hide items in "Tools > Options > General > Advanced > Features" and in "Tools > Plug-in Manager". In addition you can "right-click > delete" view scheme items and playlists in the tree.

That's about what you can do.

Though, I suppose you already tried these options and the items on your list cannot be removed. (I am too lazy to try them and personally I don't need to hide anything.)

Here are a couple of screenshots of my version of a streamlined MC12:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43993.msg300992#msg300992

In general, your request is good. JRiver could add all unessential features and tree items to the "enable/disable features" list.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

cracksloth

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 12:38:07 pm »

yes, between disabling plugins and features, MC is pretty flexible.  it's just these last few things that still get to me (well, i can't find a way to disable them anyway).  my version of MC looks very similar to your streamlined version (except i use podcasts).  does anyone know what "data media mode" means?  it is a feature i can disable in the advanced preferences but i have not had much luck finding it in the wiki.

cracksloth

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 01:33:51 pm »

another helpful feature would be an option to disable the tab bar - perhaps this is another feature to add to the list

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 03:36:09 pm »

does anyone know what "data media mode" means?  it is a feature i can disable in the advanced preferences but i have not had much luck finding it in the wiki.

"Data Media Mode" is for allowing MC to handle data/document file types (= practically anything that is not audio, video or images like txt, doc, html, mht, pdf, xls, iso, etc.)

If it is disabled MC does not show the Documents category in the import options and it does not automatically create or show the default Documents tree branch even if the library already has imported document files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

cracksloth

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 06:37:19 pm »

ah!  thanks a lot for the help - makes sense
Pages: [1]   Go Up