INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GFORCE?  (Read 7474 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
GFORCE?
« on: September 22, 2008, 01:25:26 pm »

anyone on 13 getting Gforce to work? have uninstalled 12, and tried reinstalling gforce on 13 but no go! :(

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: GFORCE?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 04:04:08 pm »

You must keep MC12 installed, and then copy the files over manually, in order to get it to work with MC13.  But it works just fine.

I can post a REG file later on to take care of the needed registry entries for both G-Force and WhiteCap, but you can't use it if you've uninstalled MC12 (because G-Force won't detect MC13 currently).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 04:19:14 pm »

ummmmmmmmmm i've uninstalled 12 on main and used your uninstaller to do it. any way for me to copy the media center 12 files from laptop and bring them into 13 on main machine? would that work?

also is this the same issue with the plugin "what I'm playing now"?

Thanks Glynor. For tips. And great to hear it works.. Just have to figure how to now!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 06:04:47 pm »

any way for me to copy the media center 12 files from laptop and bring them into 13 on main machine? would that work?

Yeah.  I think that'd be fine.  You just need access to SOME installation of MC12 with G-Force installed in order to get the actual plugin files to install. 

However, if you don't currently have G-Force installed on that machine at all (you never installed it before, or uninstalled it as well when you uninstalled MC12), it might be difficult to get G-Force to install if you don't have the Platinum version and it doesn't "detect" MC12 on the system.  Even if you copy over the G-Force DLL files, you still need to have the actual application itself installed.  It installs preference files and other DLLs and whatnot into its own folders during the install process.  That needs to have been done no matter what player you're using.

With the Platinum edition this shouldn't be a problem because it works with multiple players.  Just install it on the MC13 machine for Windows Media Player or something, and then copy the DLL files over from your machine where you have MC12 still installed.  For the free version or Gold, it won't work that way because it is specific to your player.  I've owned Platinum since before there even was a gold version, so I don't even remember how it works in detail.

If you don't own Platinum, and the current version of G-Force/WhiteCap isn't already installed on the system, the easiest thing will be to just re-install MC12 just for these purposes.  You don't have to use it, and it won't hurt anything to have it installed while you use MC13 (just don't try to use them both at the same time).  This really could be handy to have for testing anyway, at least as a backup.  Remember, MC13 is still a very early beta.  You're treading in uncharted waters here!  After you install MC12, then install G-Force/WhiteCap, and then proceed with these instructions...

EDIT: I moved the Instructions I wrote up over here, because that is a better spot for them to live long-term:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=48384.msg331623#msg331623

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 06:41:52 pm »

Well Glynor i'm on vista... and i'm def not that brave.. being im not THAT familiar with it yet... maybe i will just have to wait :(

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 06:54:50 pm »

If you're not that brave, then you shouldn't be running with MC12 completely uninstalled either.  MC13 is still very early beta (if it were me, I'd call it Alpha still).

I'm using it full time on my home machines now, but not at work for sure!  All the systems where I'm using MC13 still have a copy of MC12 installed for backup.  I don't update the library in it, but even if I need to bail and "go back", it won't be as bad as starting over from scratch (it is frozen in time as of last weekend).

edladner

• World Citizen
  • The diet worked
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 07:04:11 pm »

Tested with Vista and all is fine.  I had copied the files over but didn't think about the registry.  Now I'll have to get softskies working.  Then I will have no more use for 12.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 07:34:27 pm »

Thanks!

edladner

• World Citizen
  • The diet worked
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 04:57:21 am »

Do you have a reg file for softskies?  I have been trying to do one and it don't work.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 09:35:16 am »

Do you have a reg file for softskies?  I have been trying to do one and it don't work.

I can try.  I don't have the latest SoftSkies or anything right now.  Sorry, Andy... SoftSkies just doesn't really "do it" for me.  I have a license though, so I can try it out.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 10:14:07 am »

edlander.. did you copy them over from laptop from version 12?

or did you reinstall 12 on vista machine and then copy them over?

ty

edladner

• World Citizen
  • The diet worked
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 11:30:46 am »

edlander.. did you copy them over from laptop from version 12?

or did you reinstall 12 on vista machine and then copy them over?

ty

I still have 12 installed.  It don't hurt anything to leave it there.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 01:51:12 pm »

just fyi .. tested as well in vista on 32bit.

i had uninstalled version 12. installed platinum to use with wmp. copied over .dll from version 12 on my lappy to version 13 on main machine. copied over reg fix\applied it. then opened up 13 and gforce shows up in 13 but when i click it nothing happens, it stays on cover art.

guess i'll have to wait for soundspectrums update.

Ty glynor for trying

and glad it worked for you edladner

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 01:58:01 pm »

Thanks for trying and reporting back.

One question... Why aren't you keeping MC12 installed?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 02:03:21 pm »

cause it's gone already :(

i had posted before here, a topic http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=48333.0

if it was safe to remove 12 and go with 13.. so from the answers i recieved i gathered it was ok to remove it.. so i uninstalled it.

on my lappy i still have 12 installed though. and my libraries i have saved\backed up. so thats a good thing after reading your reply here about it being alpha.(In your opinion)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 02:06:37 pm »

cause it's gone already :(

i had posted before here, a topic http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=48333.0

Just re-download MC12 and reinstall it.  You can have it installed on both machines at the same time.  Copy the old MC12 libraries over from the laptop (or just make a new blank one and import a few files for this purpose).

HTPC4ME

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 02:25:11 pm »

i think i will reinstall it.. but im going to fidlle with it for a few days and see if i cant figure out a workaround. most important thing is at least i have my library backups!  thanks again Glynor

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 02:34:51 pm »

I just tested it and got it working with SoftSkies v1.4.5 as well.  Not sure why you were having trouble before, but it worked for me.  I updated my install instructions in the other thread with a new REG file for SoftSkies and with some updated instructions.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 04:14:58 pm »

just so i understand... u tested with 12 installed and never deleted... right?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 04:49:38 pm »

just so i understand... u tested with 12 installed and never deleted... right?

Correct.  I have no intention of uninstalling MC12 until MC13 is out of Beta, even though I actually am now using MC13 as my "primary" player/organizer on my systems.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 02:29:43 am »

ok .. gotchya thanks

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 03:34:27 am »

G-Force is totally borked here. Nothing works at all!!

No screensaver, no standalone, no WMP, no MC.

"Error=20 - please reinstall"
The toolbar does not launch and when launched manually, does not populate the colourmap, flowfield etc. dropdowns.
Apparently, this is typically a network security problem.
The toolbar has an 'access all areas' pass through the firewall, but it still ain't working.
I'm stumped and have asked Andy for help.

-marko.

edladner

• World Citizen
  • The diet worked
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 04:37:27 am »

That's not good.  I'll tell you, I'd go nuts without Whitecap.  It works so well in the small display box.  Thanks Glynor, softskies works as well now.  I really like using the castles with thunder storm clouds.  Some lightning would be cool.

Whitecap in standard view
G-force in playing now rotating with whitecap
Softskies in theaterview and looks best in bigscreen.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 07:37:44 am »

"Error=20 - please reinstall"
The toolbar does not launch and when launched manually, does not populate the colourmap, flowfield etc. dropdowns.
Apparently, this is typically a network security problem.
The toolbar has an 'access all areas' pass through the firewall, but it still ain't working.
I'm stumped and have asked Andy for help.

This "sorta" happens to me too.  The application itself works fine, but the toolbar acts the same for me on my laptop.  I traced it to VPN Software that apparently interferes with the Toolbar's "network" communication, even when the VPN is disabled (but the client is running of course).

Unfortunately, I need the VPN software in order to use the laptop with corporate resources, so that doesn't help much.

Again, though, for me the actual application works (in Standalone, MC, WiMP, etc), just not the toolbar.

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 10:14:51 am »

I copied over my SoundSpectrum Vis dll's from 12 to 13 and ran glynor's reg and it work great on WinXP here at work. Gonna check it out on Vista tonight. Thanks glynor!
Thanks!

HTPC4ME

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 10:29:50 am »

Glynor, Marko, i had also emailed soundspectrum a few days ago and recieved a reply late last night from a paul there, saying they were looking into the issue for me\us and would get back to me shortly.. I too notice that my most important feature on laptop doesnt work.. the gforce toolbar.  and i use the toolbar for my sprite folder (duration of sprites, and shuffling etc..) which has images and cool vids\Visuals i made to play when i choose shift Y.. so i hope that gets worked out too. It's really cool eye candy for those that check out your systems when having parties   ;D

i didnt mention about the toolbar though cause i couldnt even get the platinum to install or work on 13 and didnt realize it wouldnt work!
So maybe someones wants to inform them of that issue, or the other issues mentioned here if they've not already done so?!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 01:16:24 pm »

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Soundspectrum to support MC13 at this early stage. My problem involves g-force running on supported software, MC12, WMP, screensaver etc.

I'll let you all know if they have any suggestions that help.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 01:26:44 pm »

ok... i apologise... when i emailed them it was before posting anything here... I thought 13 was further along after my post When is it safe to ditch 12 and go with 13

i'll just be patient and wait for things to come together on there own.

:)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 02:09:44 pm »

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Soundspectrum to support MC13 at this early stage. My problem involves g-force running on supported software, MC12, WMP, screensaver etc.

I'll let you all know if they have any suggestions that help.

I agree.  And, I should mention, the toolbar doesn't work for me on my laptop with ANY installation either.  Hopefully you get somewhere on it...

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 02:18:04 pm »

Deary me, red face or what....

"error=20" is apparently some form of anti-piracy measure.

There's a bug in build 3.8.5 that allows the installer to accept expired keys, and yup, guess which muppet had been installing using his out-of-date key?
DOH! :D

Thanks to Soundspectrum customer support, G-Force is now up and running again...

I think I may have figured out the problem. It looks like you've been a great supporter of our software over the years and have purchased many G-Force licenses. (Much appreciated!) Though you have an active G-Force license (expires July 2009), it appears that you are installing this latest version of G-Force (3.8.5) using one of your expired license codes. Normally our software installer should reject this license, but for some reason it's not. This apparently is causing some problems with the way G-Force installs on your system. I have duplicated this error and notified our developers so that they may take a look.

Glynor,
I should mention, the toolbar doesn't work for me on my laptop with ANY installation either.  Hopefully you get somewhere on it...
While I was, erm... troubleshooting my own stupidity, I found several gforce users who claim that the 'bonjour' service installed by folk like adobe and apple is breaking the toolbars ability to comunicate over tcp/ip (it does a localhost loopback on port 5354). Disabling/removing the service allegedly brought their toolbar back to life... might be worth a look...

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up