INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: some strange things with importing library  (Read 2940 times)

tingtong5

• Recent member
some strange things with importing library
« on: September 24, 2008, 03:36:45 am »

Hi,

After importing my music library into MC12 I see somethings that shouldn't be there.

For instance I see these artists:

When selecting one of these artists I see 3 albums, two of Sara K and one of Whitney Houston.
When I check with "Tag and Rename" I do not see anything weird in the tag fields that explains this.

Also in squeezecenter this does not happen, these artists and their albums are shown normally.
It does not make any difference whether I import my library by mounting a CIFS share or copying the files locally and importing them from the local disk drive.

I am clueless and hope that someone can help me to troubleshoot this further and solve this.

Regards.

Ronald

tingtong5

• Recent member
Re: some strange things with importing library
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 03:37:28 am »

By the way, I tried MC13 as well, same thing there...  ::)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 04:34:20 am »

I had such strange things too when building my library data which have been built by another program.

Did you highlight these special cases and use <right-click>Library Tools-Fill Property From Filename? (there you can set what should be set as Artist etc in the library)
And if that doesn't help you can completely delete and re-build the tags of these special cases.
I'm pretty sure with these actions they disappear like magical and show up in the correct locations.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 05:40:14 am »

tingtong5,

What is file format? Did you use Tag & Rename or some other program for the initial tagging?

Can you fix the problem by resaving the tags in T&R? Inside MC you can refresh library data by doing: select > right-click > Library Tools > Update Library (from tags).

If you wish you can send me a sample file. Upload it to www.rapidshare.com (for instance) and send me the link in a forum PM. (The forum's personal messaging system may not be available for newcomers because of spam problems. If PM is not yet available for you I can give you an email address).

If you can reproduce the problem just by tagging a file you could tag any small audio clip and post the link publicly.

Possibly also the JRiver developers would like to see a sample file if the problem seems to be caused by the file tags.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tingtong5

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 05:50:25 am »

Ok guys, thanx for the responses! I will try your suggestions first and then see if the problem persists or not.
By the way the format I use is FLAC.

Regards,

Ronald

tingtong5

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 06:22:04 am »

To make it a bit easier to troubleshoot I cleared my MC12 library and imported only one album of the artist Sara K, nothing else.

The problem persists, instead of one artist named "Sara K", I see again 13 artists named:
--cut--

Then I used T&R to manually rename the Artist field and saved it. Then cleared the library in MC again and imported the same album. It didn't help :P

If you like, you can download the track from http://www.ronaldverlaan.com/download/sarak-hobo-1track.flac
Its about 26 Mb, hope thats not too big.

I tested with ONLY this track in the library and the problem still occurs so it should contain a clue to what is going on  ;)

The Album view is ok (shows: Hobo), the Artist view is not (should show "Sara K", but instead shows "01")

Best regards,

Ronald

tingtong5

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 06:28:36 am »

I had such strange things too when building my library data which have been built by another program.

Did you highlight these special cases and use <right-click>Library Tools-Fill Property From Filename? (there you can set what should be set as Artist etc in the library)
Actually I used the opposite (using a self made perl script) to rename all my files  ;)

And if that doesn't help you can completely delete and re-build the tags of these special cases.
I'm pretty sure with these actions they disappear like magical and show up in the correct locations.
Well I tried but it did not work..  :-X

tingtong5

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 06:35:39 am »

To put things in perspective, its only a few of my about 1000 albums that give strange results in MC12. However none give problems in for instance Squeezecenter.. (using the exact same files).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 08:04:17 am »

Your sample file has an Album Artist tag with the value 01.

Here's a screenshot from a hex editor:

The displayed "Artist" pane shows the "Album Artist (auto)" values by default. This makes possible to show a multiple artists album under a single Artist tag.

The separate Album Artist field can be used for manually overdriving the automatic Album Artist value. This is why the value "01" appears in the view.

Here is more info about the clever automatic Album Artist system: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33255.0

To the JRiver developers: I think this naming system causes more confusion than it should. Perhaps you should return to display the Album Artist (auto) field's name as it is. (Or has anyone a better idea? It would be welcomed.)

Personally, I have pane views that now show two Artist panes side by side and that is quite confusing.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tingtong5

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 08:26:24 am »

Thanks Alex, that explains it  :)

However, stangely enough, T&R does show "Sara K" in the "Album Artist" field for all tracks of that album  :-X

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 08:37:46 am »

T&R links the Ensemble file tag with the displayed Album Artist value.

You can check the physical file tags by selecting a file and clicking the "Format" field in Action Window > Tag. The expanded format window shows a tag dump of the file contents, not library data.

tingtong5

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 09:07:57 am »

Thanks again Alex! Now its clear to me  :)

I'm going to cleanup my tag mess right away!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up