INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Reinstal MC 11 or 12 on new computer - especially .wav files/info  (Read 1543 times)

carver188

• Recent member

Are there any JRiver Tech folks out there?  I have had this posted for 3 business days and no response.

1.  How can I reload MC 12 (or 11??) so that all music files (esp those .wavs) PLAY AND have original ratings, notes, genre, comments etc. from 6-28-08 back up.
2.  How can I fix reading the Tag Info row titles that are illegible in dark boxes?

I have Googled and searched this forum for my problem/error to no avail. So here is a new post.  Thank you.

-My computer crashed bigtime with JRiver Media Center 11 on it.  Dell, Wind XP Pro.  Everything was backed up on external HD, including JRiver library backups...only music is in my MC 11.
-Built a new Dell with Windows XP Pro SP2.
-Pasted all my music onto the new computer from external backup.  I also have the JRiver library backups.
-I went to re-download MC 11, saw MC 12 was available, upgrade bought it, downloaded it, imported My Music from C/D&S/Lucky Dad/My Documents/My Music
-In MC, I restored library with latest MC 11 back up date 6-26-08.  Music files include flac, wav, wma, ape, mp3.
-All of my ratings, notes, comments, genre, etc came up thankfully in all files EXCEPT .WAV files. 
---Under file name, I noticed flacs, mp3 were named .....Lucky Dad/My Documents (my new computer user name)....they played.   While .wav files were named Scott/My Documents (my old computer user name).   So, the restore wasnt consitent with filenames and filepaths.
- PROBLEM 2 = on the left when I pull up Tag Info...all the rows (Artist, Album, genre, etc) are DARK BLUE boxes and cannot be read, no matter what skin or contrast setting I use.

I unistalled MC 12.  So All I have are my music files and the JRiver MC Library Back folders from 6-26-08 now on my new computer. 

I keep uninstalling and reinstalling MC12 to no avail.

Thank you...please.  I look forward to being done rebuilding my computer and getting back to using MC!!

Scott
Caz, NY

carver188

• Recent member
Re: How to Reinstal MC 11 or 12 on new computer - especially .wav files/info
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 01:57:33 am »

Are there any JRiver Tech folks out there?  I have had this posted for 3 business days and no response.
Need help!  Thanks!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 02:46:58 am »

What probably happened was that the Auto-Importer feature (new in MC12) removed your old missing library files and imported new files from the new location. The tags were read from the disk files. Wav files cannot contain tags.

One obvious solution would be to temporarily move the files to the old location and reload the library backup (you would first need to recreate the old user directory structure manually). Then all tags including the old statistic data (which is likely to be missing now) would be correct. Later on you could use the tools inside MC for moving the files.

Another option would be to turn the Auto-Import feature off, load the library backup and fix the paths with the Rename, Move, & Copy tool (It has an option for fixing only the library paths). Also this option would preserve all old library data.

In general, I think Microsoft's idea to store media files under the user data location is not very clever. It might be good for a few personal media files, but not for big media libraries that may contain huge amounts of large files. Usually the media libraries are used by all users (one or more) and may well be moved to other OS installations where the user path(s) can be different.

I'd recommend moving the complete media folder structure to a simple base path on the root of the drive before fixing the file links in the library. Paths like C:\Media\ or C:\Music\ would be fine.

I have no idea. It's not happening to me. I wonder if it could be a display driver issue. Is AW > Tag the only place where it happens?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

carver188

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 11:53:51 pm »

Thanks for the reply....a little confusing, but I think I know some of what you mean.  I have preserved MC library backups from and external HD. 

2.  Yes tag info row title are illegible black, no matter the skin or contrast....it only happens there.  If I go negative under skin effects, i can see it now.

3.  When i change the pathway name...what is the one I change  Filename or Filepath?

4.  Regarding .wav files...Are you saying I will never rebuild MC that has my ratings, mood, comments, etc tagged to my wav files like my old MC 11 on the old computer?  Please tell me I can.  I have tons of work in those wav file tags.  The flacs, etc seem to be all there.

I am now just trying all variables.   

Should I import the music or restore 6-28-08 library back up first?

Thanks....  please stay tuned!!

carver188

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 02:03:14 am »

Well I have unin-reinstalled MC 12 about 6 times.  The best I can do is have all files show up under their columns of artist, album, name, date, etc.   All songs play, thanks to creating the old filepath that matches in the new computer.   But even when I repeatedly  copy and paste JRiver App Data (cache, MC11, including all backups...

AAAHHHH!  I GOT IT.   I copied the Application Data/JRiver/MC11/all folders (my old libray info) directly into Application Data/JRiver/MC12/   and everything appeared exactly as I remember...all tag info, etc.  even wav files!  EXCELLENT!  Happy Boy!!

But, I sure wish JRiver had telephone support....they could have told me that in one phone call, or even remoted into my computer like Dell does and others.  I would have gotten to bed much earlier the past 4 nights!!!     I have to say, this forum didnt help me at all.  I figured it out all myself because I waited so long on the forum, which didn't have the key to my fix, which I think is pretty darn basic...rebuilding MC from one hardrive to another new computer, while upgrading to MC12.   

Good luck to all.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 04:37:47 am »

Where did you get the idea that wav files could store metadata?

There is no commonly accepted standard for storing user metadata to wavs and most programs don't do it. The wav format is an old container format designed by Microsoft before it was common to use a PC as an universal media player. It is possible to store some technical file info in the so called RIFF chunks and many professional audio editors indeed can do it, but this method is not used in consumer programs or players.

In addition. some programs save user metadata in ID3 tags, but that is not included in MS's standard format. Depending on the used player program or device wav files with additional foreign data may be considered broken or can produce unwanted playback results.

You would be better off by converting the wavs to a modern lossless format like APE, FLAC or WMA Lossless that can store tags. You would save storage space and you would not lose a bit of audio quality because the formats are lossless.

I tried to explain two ways to restore your old library on a new PC:
1. Put your files where MC expects to find them, and move the files later if necessary.
or
2. Change the files' base path in the library so that MC can find them from the new location.

I guess you didn't actually try to use the library restore tool for restoring a zipped library backup file.  It would have done the same thing you eventually did in a more automatic way.  I wrongly assumed that you were familiar with the backup/restore process and didn't explain it separately.

I am not working for JRiver and I am not going to comment your opinion about JRiver's support services.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up