INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Video quality without WMP engine with video playback  (Read 2343 times)

Puffkin123

• Recent member
Problems with Video quality without WMP engine with video playback
« on: September 27, 2008, 01:12:28 am »

I finally received my Media Center PC today. Installed all the files such as CCCP Codec Pack, JRiver Media Player, and G-force visualizations. I hooked up the computer through HDMI to my 720p 120' Projector. Set the resolution at 1280 by 720 with a refresh rate of 50 Hertz, (No picture with 60 Hertz) After transferring all my music videos over I was having alot of problems with video quality. Kept fooling around with settings in JRiver and my ffdshow video decoder. I was only able to get a good quality picture when I used WMP Engine for Video playback. (Picture Difference Below) I don't have any experience with the settings in ffdshow decoder, so would appreciate any advice on how to make my picture quality for my music videos and movies perfect. I would use the WMP engine, but I have to screw around with the aspect ratio on a huge majority of my videos to make them fit my screen.
With WMP Engine:

Without WMP Engine:

You can see the lines on the clock and top left corner are not sharp what so ever. On the huge screen it makes it look 5 times worse. Thanks and hope to hear some replies.

Edit: I just did some searching and found another person who was having the same problem as me, where the video quality was alot better playing through WMP then it is playing through JRiver he said, "what fixed it was this: I changed the video renderer from 'Video Mixing Renderer 9' to 'Enhanced Video Renderer' and now the video quality looks a lot better, a lot smoother (before everything had jagged edges)."  He is having the same probelms as I was, with jagged edges, but I dont know where i can change the video rendering for all my videos. Could anybody tell me this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems with Video quality without WMP engine with video playback
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 07:42:47 am »

The setting for Video Renderer is under Direct Show.

Puffkin123

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 02:28:38 pm »

Alright, i changed the rendering and it sticks per each file type, but now all my files arent cropping correctly. Leaving Vertical bars on the left and right, now i have to Stretch the image to prevent this.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 02:33:31 pm »

The On Screen Display has some controls that can adjust the image size and position.  Use the arrow keys to try the options while you're playing.

Aspect Ratio is available in the right click menu.

Puffkin123

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 04:32:11 pm »

I've been using the arrow keys successfully on my main computer to change zoom, aspect ratio, volume, ect.   But now when I use an arrow key any which way on my media PC, JRiver Crashes, everytime.. It's so frustrating.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 04:41:49 pm »

If just using an arrow key causes a crash, you may have a hardware or driver problem.  Here's an example:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=48379.msg332046#msg332046

Puffkin123

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 06:48:14 pm »

Well after restarting a few times i was able to use the arrow keys again without any problems. Now I was playing a few videos and screwing around with the video and aspect ratio settings, now when i try to replay those videos.. MC crashes.. It's getting so frustrating..

I was able to improve the quality with using Enhanced video rendering, but the quality of the edges are still very jagged. I'm trying to improve it with either ffdshow decoder or nvidia graphics settings.. What do you think would be better to use to get the video quality looking nicer?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 06:50:39 pm »

What filetype are they?

Puffkin123

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 08:04:22 pm »

What filetype are they?

Most of them are .avi and then I got some m2v, mp4, mpg, mpeg, and a few MKV's.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 08:49:47 pm »

If you're getting random crashes just playing a variety of files, then your machine may not be healthy.

The thread called "Weird Problems" in my signature might give you some ideas.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 12:06:49 pm »

I presume you're running Vista?
Welcome to the mess that they (Nvidia) left behind  :P

Try switching to Haali's video renderer, and leaving all the other options alone.
If you must play with the FFDShow settings, do them one at a time. They've all got a use, but many of them can do far more harm than good.

-Leezer-
Pages: [1]   Go Up