INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PlayStation 3 (PS3) Saga  (Read 3332 times)

gunoo

• Recent member
PlayStation 3 (PS3) Saga
« on: September 28, 2008, 06:53:19 pm »

Thank you for reading.

I've been trying the PlayStation 3 with MC 12.0.534

UPNP server options set to Always Convert, MP3, Advanced, Replace Empty Genre, Flat URLS, Skip Child, Experimental DLNA.

If I turn Conversion to always off, the PS3 will see the collection tree, but only the MP3 files are playable. Everything else shows unsupported data (everything else being either WMA or AAC). The MP3 files do play properly.

If I turn Conversion to If necessary, the PS3 will show all the files, but the ones that are WMA or AAC are erroneously listed in MP3 format. If I play one of those, they will play (after some delay of about 5-10 seconds), but the track times are always too short. The song plays until it is abruptly cut off at the end.

If I turn conversion to always, it works same as with If Necessary, but now MP3 files are also affected.

I've been playing around with Tversity and Twonky, and the PS3 will play WMA and AAC natively from those.

However I dare say those programs mean a major penalty in media organization, podcasting, smartlists, etc. when compared with J River. I was toying around with ways to use Twonky along side J River, but the streamlined integration just isn't there.

Thanks again-

A

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: PlayStation 3 (PS3) Saga
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 09:50:34 pm »

Can you get a log to matt at jriver with a link to this thread?

smalt111

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 05:45:07 pm »

I'm using the same version of media center 12.0.534.  Also I have updated my ps3 just today and it didn't help.

UPNP server options also set to Always Convert, MP3, Advanced, Replace Empty Genre, Flat URLS, Skip Child, Experimental DLNA.

With conversion on always I can't play anything.  I get unsupported audio message on the ps3 (even though all audio files are labeled as mp3's when browsing on the ps3).  (I've tried using LAME both variable and constant bitrate encoder for the conversion)

With conversion off I can play mp3's and wma but my flac will not play (obviously)

With conversion on if necessary flac files now show up as mp3 on the ps3, but they give the same unsupported audio message when I try to play.  Also it seems like some mp3's dont work with this setting on.  I think anything that is getting converted then fails to play.  is this a problem with the encoder or the server or media center?  I feel like the server isnt the problem and nothing is actually getting converted.  From the ps3's point of view the flac files should appear and get played just the same as regular mp3 with the conversion on.

If there is anything I could provide or do to help let me know.  I could do some capture using ethereal if it would help? I'm not sure what type of log JimH is asking for.

PS I can convert files using Library Tools | convert with the lame encoder

Also I don't have the problem where things get cut off like gunoo (but then again I dont even think things are getting re-encoded at all)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 06:02:25 pm »

If you use "Always Convert", try CBR at 128Kbps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up