INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot change skins  (Read 2656 times)

Meshugene

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Cannot change skins
« on: September 29, 2008, 05:18:58 am »

No matter which one I download or how many times, I get nothing. The one skin listed, which I asume came with MJ12, leads to an empty folder.  What gives?

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: Cannot change skins
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 05:35:04 am »

Should be simple.
If you are using the MJP files from the skins and plugins areas it should automatically install the skins to the correct location.

If your downloading from elsewhere they should be extracted to
C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\MegaSkins

For example
C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\MegaSkins\2nd Stage

Where the 2nd Stage folder is the name of an example skin, in this folder there should be a main.xml which MC uses to find the skin.

In MC itself you should go to View->Skins and select the skin...
And that should be it...

Meshugene

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 05:37:46 am »

Yes, this is the way it should work. It always worked this way for years with MJ8. However, it's not wprking for me with MJ12. I have not tried to do anything fancy. Just click download. I see the dialog box that shows it's being downloaded but I have no idea to where.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 05:50:21 am »

Virus checker?

gappie

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 06:12:44 am »

No matter which one I download or how many times, I get nothing. The one skin listed, which I asume came with MJ12, leads to an empty folder.  What gives?
i think MJ12 dont work with mjp files, but mjs. you can unzip some skins in the C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox 12\MegaSkins folder and they will show up then in mj12.

:)
gab

edit: well that was not a real smart thing to say...  :-[

Meshugene

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 07:05:51 am »

ChriZ,
They are not downloading to the Megaskins folder. How do I direct where they download? Where do you think they have been downloading?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 07:10:31 am »

Please post a list of the skins (if they are from the JRiver download site) or the direct download links (if they are from the "third party" board) so that we can help you.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Meshugene

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 08:54:57 am »

I don't know what MJP files are. I haven't really looked around, but the one's I've tried downloading are  Albedo and NightLife Mega. When i would do this with MJ8 it would automatically install them, as I recall.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 09:02:02 am »

Those may be for older versions of the player. 

MJP is our package installer.  MC owns the filetype, so if you click on an MJP file, the player uses the file to install the plug-in or skin.  Any MJP file can be opened with notepad to see what it is going to do.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 09:43:00 am »

I don't know what MJP files are. I haven't really looked around, but the one's I've tried downloading are  Albedo and NightLife Mega. When i would do this with MJ8 it would automatically install them, as I recall.

It works for me when I have MJ12 running in the background. I can go to the download site and click a download link. If I allow the browser to run the mjp file the skin will be correctly installed to MJ12.

Maybe you have a security program running that prevents MJ12 from interacting with the internet browser and its downloads.

As a workaround, you can download the actual files for the mentioned skins directly from these links:

Albedo: http://accessories.jrmediacenter.com/mediacenter/mc_data/plugins/830.zip
NightLife Mega: http://accessories.musicex.com/mediajukebox/mj_data/skins/nightlifemega.zip

Download the files to a temporary location and unzip the packages to individual folders. Move these folders to the ...\J River\Media Jukebox 12\MegaSkins\ directory.

My wild guess is that your "Track Info" problem may be caused by the same reason. The track info system uses MS Internet Explorer code for displaying the visualization.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Meshugene

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 11:17:56 am »

Alex,
I really appreciate all your help. I just un-installed and re-installed it. Not only do I still have the same problems, the cover art for many files is incorrect. This is not the case with version 8 so I'm sure it's stored in the file correctly. I think I'll just stick with the old version. Maybe in 6 months or so I'll try again after some of the bugs have been worked out. Thanks again, Marty

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 11:24:29 am »

I don't think you're seeing any bugs. 

If you saw cover art in MJ8 and you don't in MJ12, it's because they weren't all stored in the tag.  MJ and MC can also use a cover art directory, or read the folder.jpg file from the folder where the tracks are.  You can set the cover art directory under Options/File Locations, then do a right click on a track and then Cover Art/Quick Find.

Meshugene

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 11:48:16 am »

Jim, I'm afraid it is something is wrong with 12. I recently backed everything up to DVD's and deleted it from the hard drive. (The reason is involved and doesn't matter.) I restored some of it to test 12. When I had the problems I had with 12, I was concerned for my files; all 15,000 of them.  Out of this concern, as a result of what just happened, I uninstalled 12, re-installed 8 and returned all my files to the hard drive. Everything works fine. As far as the cover art, I never maintained an album art folder. I always kept it empty to make sure the art was being stored in the file. I can't explain all that has happened but except for the fact that version 8 never imported track no. 32 :-), which some how never got fixed, it works fine so I think I'll keep it.

Thanks again for all your help. Both of you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up