INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename & Move Files - Delete Empty Folders problem  (Read 1669 times)

frankie

• Recent member
  • Support The Global Fellowship Of Metal & Hard Rock
Rename & Move Files - Delete Empty Folders problem
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:47:26 am »

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this.

When I use MC's Rename & Move Files function, MC ususally asks if it should also remove some empty folders. However, MC does not remove all such empty folders because of the hidden files and system files that might be present in certain folders, such as old folder.jpg or AlbumArtSmall.jpg files which are still hidden in such folders, and sometimes even AlbumArt_{81747F50-E57F-4FE6-8ED4-B713D1A8B23B}_Large.jpg, Thumbs.db or desktop.ini files.

My questions is, is there any way that I can have a clean folder content without any of such hidden or annoying files? Since all my cover art is embeded in the audio files, I make no use of folder.jpg or similar at all and the problem is that each time after I rename & move files with MC, I have to go back to these folders on my hard drive and manually check/delete all of them which are in fact empty.

So how do I prevent any files hiding in my folders? Thanks.

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: Rename & Move Files - Delete Empty Folders problem
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:05:10 pm »

Do you have Microsoft's Windows Media Player configured to monitor the folder(s) where you have your music files?  And do you have Windows Media Player configured to "Retrieve additional information from the Internet"?

Windows Media Player will create the hidden files AlbumArtSmall.jpg, folder.jpg, and the AlbumArt_{...}.jpg files if you let it "Retrieve additional information from the Internet".

The thumbs.db and desktop.ini files are likely being created by Explorer (file explorer).  I don't know all of the details as to when Explorer creates those files and what triggers the creation of those hidden files.  It likely has something to do with having Explorer set to show large thumbnail views of files and customizing the views of the folders.

frankie

• Recent member
  • Support The Global Fellowship Of Metal & Hard Rock
Re: Rename & Move Files - Delete Empty Folders problem
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 04:15:58 pm »

Hey thanks for this brilliant answer, guess what? You are absolutely right...I have actually uninstalled WMP completely now since I never use it anyway and I have tested by renaming and moving some files and folders and this time they are all removed and there are no more hidden files anywhere...

THANKS SO MUCH! ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up