INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: RiverMote - iPhone/iPod Touch Client for JRiver Media Center  (Read 45918 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: RiverMote - iPhone/iPod Touch Client for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2010, 10:31:05 am »

Consider the more open and broad based standard, DLNA.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2010, 10:47:49 am »

DNLA is for streaming and controlling on remote devices.   The goal of Rivermote is to control the music/movie playing on your HTPC already connected to a TV.   

And as far as I know, no DNLA apps have been accepted by Apple yet.  Just like VOIP apps Apple puts a strong vice on any apps that do any kind of streaming.
========================
Melloware Inc.
Take Back Control of your PC!
http://www.melloware.com
info@melloware.com
========================

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2010, 10:58:36 am »

The goal of Rivermote is to control the music/movie playing on your HTPC already connected to a TV.   
It is possible to do that with DLNA.  The terminology is odd.  MC would be a renderer and your app would be a controller.  MC, in build 127, can render (playback) from another copy of MC, using DLNA.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2010, 11:26:42 am »

It is possible to do that with DLNA.  The terminology is odd.  MC would be a renderer and your app would be a controller.  MC, in build 127, can render (playback) from another copy of MC, using DLNA.

Interesting...   Though if my memory serves me DNLA can only list files in a DNLA share? No reference to Metadata stored inside tags.  I believe it just returns you one giant list of all the media files exposed in the DLNA share?

No search ability or querying ability to show all Artists that start with 'MC' so it would display...

MC Hammer
MC Skat

And then be able to click on MC Hammer and drill into the albums of MC Hammer and then into the songs on one of those albums?    Is that true or can the DLNA Renderer interface handle these capabilities?
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2010, 11:48:11 am »

Doesn't xptunes allow browsing the mc database? Doesn't this suggest that the option exists and if so, could this logic not be adopted here also?
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2010, 11:53:19 am »

Doesn't xptunes allow browsing the mc database? Doesn't this suggest that the option exists and if so, could this logic not be adopted here also?

I contacted the XPTunes developer.  He gave me the way he achieves it but it depends solely on how users have their View Schemes set up.  So say you have a View Scheme that doesn't contain ALL of your data then it will never be found.  He essentially caches the entire MC data by looping through the View Scheme one tree node at a time storing the data.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2010, 01:12:37 pm »

Interesting...   Though if my memory serves me DNLA can only list files in a DNLA share? No reference to Metadata stored inside tags.  I believe it just returns you one giant list of all the media files exposed in the DLNA share?

No search ability or querying ability to show all Artists that start with 'MC' so it would display...

MC Hammer
MC Skat

And then be able to click on MC Hammer and drill into the albums of MC Hammer and then into the songs on one of those albums?    Is that true or can the DLNA Renderer interface handle these capabilities?
Those are possible with DLNA.  You might get the build from the top of the MC14 board and experiment with it.

ninekit

• Recent member
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2010, 01:19:20 am »

Hi, any updates for the DLNA route?

I am still eagerly waiting for library access using RiverMote.

Bjorn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2010, 05:04:23 am »

Please, wherever the matter lies, get library browsing to function with MC!

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2010, 02:58:57 pm »

DNLA is for streaming and controlling on remote devices.   The goal of Rivermote is to control the music/movie playing on your HTPC already connected to a TV.   

And as far as I know, no DNLA apps have been accepted by Apple yet.  Just like VOIP apps Apple puts a strong vice on any apps that do any kind of streaming.

Is'nt that what Plugplayer does - ie works as a DNLA app for audio /video etc (and works with MC), and thats an Apple approved app ?

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2010, 03:10:08 pm »

Is'nt that what Plugplayer does - ie works as a DNLA app for audio /video etc (and works with MC), and thats an Apple approved app ?

I did not know about Plugplayer but it looks awesome!  I am still not sure if it does full text searching of your library though?  I think it allows Remote Control similar to what RiverMote does but I will definitely check this out!  Thanks for the tip.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2010, 04:21:27 pm »

Plugplayer works for me, but it is read only, meaning I can't update the rating field of the playing song like Rivermote does.
I'm betting the DLNA spec doesn't offer that functionality.

)p(

« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2010, 04:31:51 pm »

I'm betting the DLNA spec doesn't offer that functionality.

I think melloware has a great opportunity here. It could combine dlna with the jrmc api. With the latest version of jrmc you can browse the mc library really fast with plugplayer. Similar to ipeng with squeezecenter. But plugplayer and its kind are very basic. Rivermote by interfacing with the regular jrmc api could give the user a much richer experience. I would like to point again to ipeng for what could be achieved.

peter

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2010, 04:57:57 pm »

I think melloware has a great opportunity here. It could combine dlna with the MC api. With the latest version of MC you can browse the mc library really fast with plugplayer. Similar to ipeng with squeezecenter. But plugplayer and its kind are very basic. Rivermote by interfacing with the regular MC api could give the user a much richer experience. I would like to point again to ipeng for what could be achieved.

peter

Peter, merging the two API's is what I was kind of trying to avoid.   It makes the code twice as complex.   If anyone out there is an experienced iPhone/UpNP/DLNA developer I would be more the happy to work with them to modify RiverMote source code to achieve this.

No doubt iPeng is AWESOME, I have two friends that use it religiously.  I have spoken with the lead developer of iPeng a few times and he is a very nice guy.  I wanted to share coding ideas and get some ideas from him.   Unfortunately the difference is the iPeng is directly accessing Squeezecenter through a TCP socket interface API.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2010, 09:23:23 pm »

Consider the more open and broad based standard, DLNA.

Sorry Jim if I take your comment too far out of context but the "broad based standard" in my non-programming thinking is part of the problem with UPnP/DNLA. I have had great success with few servers like JRiver and TVersity but have tried nearly every other one out their to find them comming up short as servers. JRiver's is excellent but most often my experience has been it is the limitation of the Render not the Server. It would be nice to have something that worked hand-in-glove with MC.

Mellonware, I do not know if you would truely consider a DNLA app like Plug Player but tuned to work with MC. I purchased PP, and as a Render with MC as the server it works great. As a control point like what Rivermote does it leaves alot to be desired in functionality and I found works inconsistently with differing Win OSs and Renders. Of course at this point I do not care much about the other Renders, I want MC to be controled like PP is meant to do and does with other Renders.

I am no expert but seems the industry is headed to DNLA/UPnP and if you developed the skills and the App you might have a wider audience than just our MC community. Just my thoughts.... but I sure would like to see your talent develop the Rivermote to something that is fully fuctionality either with the opening of the API or the DNLA route. Hope you haven't given up.

wombat66

• World Citizen
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2010, 10:38:06 pm »

I am no expert but seems the industry is headed to DNLA/UPnP and if you developed the skills and the App you might have a wider audience than just our MC community. Just my thoughts....

Take a look at the Melloware website: http://melloware.com/

From the looks of it, they already have an audience wider than our MC community. I feel fortunate that they have even bothered to create the Rivermote software in the first place! Nevertheless you're right, it would behoove any a/v software programmer to stay on top of DLNA.

ninekit

• Recent member
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2010, 01:38:58 am »

I am using MC much and much less these days because of the lack of a good remote control function with my iPod Touch.

Just come back and wonder if there is any new enhancement / improvement in this aspect?

What I am after is something equally good as compared to iTunes + its remote app on iPod Touch / iPhone.

Regards,
ninekit

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2010, 07:37:23 am »

I think it is as good if not better than iTunes save for the search function.  I like the zone management as well the the reshuffle function.  You may say ya but iTunes shuffles, it does but when you go into the playlist it doesn't show as it is playing, you never know what you are getting next.  Whereas with rivermoet it reshuffles the songs then shows them in play order.

I will say sometimes connectivity is an issue and of course search function is huge.  I just can't understand why these 2 can't get together to solve the issue.  It benefits both parties.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2010, 02:09:30 pm »

While I enjoy WebRemote, Rivermote after a long hiatus due to moving and a rebuild is back on my system. It's is really sharp, streamlined, a native iPhone app, and lacks only a search function. What a great app. I get cover art and can do ratings (maybe this can be done in WR?).

So now that JR have added a Search to their Webremote.  Will this functionality be in the API?

Seriously, 3rd party apps like this only enhance MC and make it more popular to a wider user base.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2010, 02:41:22 pm »

I'm now completely off Rivermote and therefore MC.  I'm not sure who should share the blame for this but in any event advances in itunes, save for the zone managment, have up'd the anty. 

Again I'm not laying blame at the feet of everybody but remember, some of the pie is better than none of the pie and if 3rd party apps like this run into roadblocks, all will suffer.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2010, 02:51:00 pm »

That's too bad. Rivermote is/was top notch, but the focus issue was a real problem (wish all the API fuss could all be worked out, oh well).

jocar

• Recent member
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2010, 08:10:23 am »

I just installed RIVERMOTE on my IPAD, works well, one thing however :

"The playing-now-playlist does not reinitialize if a new smartlist is chosen."

Do you have any solution

Thanks

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2010, 08:13:21 am »

Ijust installed RIVERMOTE on my IPAD, works well, one thing however :

"The playing-now-playlist does not reinitialize if a new smartlist is chosen."

Do you have any solution

Thanks

jocar,

I would direct all tech support questions to the RiverMote forums...

http://forum.melloware.com/viewforum.php?f=11

Also I have compiled and sent to Apple a new version certified for OS 4.0 and fixes another bug people have reported.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2010, 05:19:10 pm »

Rivermote 4.0.1 has just been approved for the AppStore.   It fixes a few bugs including OS 3. and 4.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up